Thread: RANT: Virtue Signaling

RANT: Virtue Signaling

THIS IS A RANT. I am not trying to start an argument. I am simply reacting to what I see as a growing tendency for "wokeness" that pushes aside common sense (and business practicality).

Yesterday, I read that Reverb, a sort of eBay for musicians, would be "suspending" sales of Fulltone products effective July 1, 2020. This is apparently in reaction to an online post by Mike Fuller, founder and CEO of Fulltone objecting to rioting and looting (his posts have been pulled, so I can't verify his comments).

The character limit of posts prevents me from venting a full screed, so I'm just going to say that I'm growing very tired of receiving emails and seeing posts that are nothing more than this new craze of "virtue signaling." I mean, let's face it, only a moron or a dyed-in-the-wool racist (but I repeat myself) would actually think that businesses, web sites and and organizations that put their name on a building or letterhead are FOR racism, bigotry, short-sightedness and injustice.

Why is it now that business owners even feel it necessary to take a stance on social issues? I may not be the brightest bulb in the circuit, but my business sense says I don't want to alienate ANY customers. So I should avoid getting entangled in emotional, divisive issues that might cost me business.

I think Mike Fuller was wrong. I also think Reverb is wrong. Pedals and musical gear are objects. When I'm searching for products I wish to purchase, I look for the best quality and price. I don't check to see if the business is "woke" before I decide to buy.

When did everyone get so butt hurt? Critical thinking and common sense have flown out the window.

Re: RANT: Virtue Signaling

Fred, I respect you, but you insist on bringing up political things. I understand that this is a guitar related issue, but your editorial argues for a stance that gets into politics. You may be arguing for Reverb to keep politics out of things, but you do it all the time.

I am not a Democrat. I am a liberal and often disagree with the Democratic party line. I could meet you on each point you make, and I could show the weaknesses of your arguments and opinions. But I choose not to because I want to keep things civil here. You have no idea how offensive your posts sometimes are, not because of your conservative stance but because of your passive aggressive jabs at people who think differently than you do.

I'm not trying to control what anyone says. I fully expect your point of view will be the dominant one here, and who am I to tell you all what to discuss?

I will just avoid such posts and look for non-political threads.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Last I heard, this is a free country. The owners of Reverb are free to run it as they wish. Same with this forum. If you don't agree with their policies don't go there.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Bill, I am not sure what stance you believe I am taking, or how you find a rant about virtue signaling offensive? I am merely tired of getting what amounts to spam in my inbox proclaiming organization XYZ dances with angels. Who in their right mind would think otherwise? In my opinion, businesses are amoral. They exist for the exchange of goods and services. That's all.

Urban Dictionary defines virtue signaling as "To take a conspicuous but essentially useless action ostensibly to support a good cause but actually to show off how much more moral you are than everybody else." What does Reverb's announcement mean? What is its effect? What is "suspending?" To which "racial justice organization" will they be contributing? What happens to the merchants on Reverb that earn a living selling Fulltone products?

Virtue signaling is pointless, in my opinion. One of the major problems with the online community is that companies begin to act like they are people, and that they need to express their opinions to the rest of the world. I post a personal opinion, and do not even attempt to represent a professional point of view of my business. That was my entire point. It was a rant.

I am not going to get into it, Fred. It would just cause unnecessary discord. I'd rather forget it and talk to you about the guitars and music that we both love. I really like how excited you are by music and guitars and how even though you've been on this Earth a while, your are eager and willing to learn. I love seeing the pics of your guitars and the stories behind them. You're a good guy, and if we left politics out of it, I'd gladly share a cup of coffee with you and have some incredible conversations about our lives.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I am not going to get into it, Fred. It would just cause unnecessary discord. I'd rather forget it and talk to you about the guitars and music that we both love. I really like how excited you are by music and guitars and how even though you've been on this Earth a while, your are eager and willing to learn. I love seeing the pics of your guitars and the stories behind them. You're a good guy, and if we left politics out of it, I'd gladly share a cup of coffee with you and have some incredible conversations about our lives.
    It's a deal, Bill. I posted a rant, and now I'm done with it. I won't revisit this thread.

Forum Member

I too wish business' would tend to business, and leave out the "virtue signaling"!
    What the "woke" people don't seem to realize is they may be alienating more folks, (buyers), than they are appeasing!

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    It's a deal, Bill. I posted a rant, and now I'm done with it. I won't revisit this thread.
    I appreciate you and have only good will towards you. I'm glad we are TFF friends.