Thread: In a custom amplifier... What would you like to see?

Forum Member

In a custom amplifier... What would you like to see?

Ill leave this fairly open, what is an amplifier configuration you would want to see in a custom, one off, combo amplifier?

A few variables to get things going.

Speaker configuration:
    Output tube configuration:
    Phase inverter type:
    Tone stack configuration:
    Solid state/tube rectification:
    Cosmetics: (Blackface, silver, tweed, brown)

Feel free to mention absolutely anything. I anticipate some funny responses.

Thank you.

PS I have a lot of time.

Forum Member

Re: In a custom amplifier... What would you like to see?

I've done the custom amp thing a couple of times, and both times with excellent results. Once was some time in the 90s when you could send Andy Fuchs a Princeton chassis (or combo) and he would gut it and put his ODS in it. I also asked him for London Power Scaling. It got better when I put it in a larger cab with a 12", but the amp itself was great. The second time was more recently when I had an AB763 circuit modified (not an existing amp, but a new build) to include a Dumble style OD section in place of the normal channel. That also worked out extremely well.

With all that said, now I feel like going back to basics, and to your specific question, I'd say:

1X12 combo, possibly with a Tone Tubby Humboldt alnico (it's VERY light).
    Single ended, with the ability to swap between 6L6 and KT66 (that should actually be easy, I think)
    No PI (single ended)
    Minimal tone stack, just a Tone control and two volumes, like the tweed deluxe
    Tube rect (although I've heard that a single ended amp does very well with SS rect - is that true?)
    Tweed cosmetics
    Other - the four input tweed deluxe config. I've never had a jumperable setup, and I'd like to get in on that action.

In short, a tweed deluxe preamp with a 6L6 power section. Maybe with Mercury iron.

I used to have a Gries 5 head, which I had to let go for reasons having nothing to do with the amp itself, which is a BF champ layout, but with a "Gain" control that essentially lifts the tone stack out of the circuit, thereby tweedifying it. There was something about I couldn't put a finger on when I first got it, then with some tube rolling fun, I came upon the winning combo - a CV4024 (12AT7 equivalent, but apparently the NOS Mullard version, which is still reasonably priced, has some special mojo) and a TAD 6L6.

So, I would add to the above list potentially subbing the 12AX7 with that CV4024. But then, I wouldn't know what to do with the 12AY7 that the tweed deluxe has....

Srini

It'd probably be something very similar to my Dr. Z Cure- a lightweight 1x12" combo, 6V6 power tubes, cathode bias, no negative feedback, footswitchable variable tone stack bypass, great master volume control. An amp that's very responsive to pick attack and the guitar's volume control. Maybe I'd add reverb and tremolo (though a Flint in the loop of the Cure works very well, probably better than built in).

My tweed Deluxe clone and Budda Twinmaster both sound better than the Cure, but neither have a master volume control and are not suited to as many situations as the Cure.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    It'd probably be something very similar to my Dr. Z Cure- a lightweight 1x12" combo, 6V6 power tubes, cathode bias, no negative feedback, footswitchable variable tone stack bypass, great master volume control. An amp that's very responsive to pick attack and the guitar's volume control. Maybe I'd add reverb and tremolo (though a Flint in the loop of the Cure works very well, probably better than built in).

My tweed Deluxe clone and Budda Twinmaster both sound better than the Cure, but neither have a master volume control and are not suited to as many situations as the Cure.
    Which Deluxe clone do you have, Don?

Srini

Quote Originally Posted by Srini View Post
    Which Deluxe clone do you have, Don?

Srini
    My Deluxe was built for me by a friend about 10-12 years ago- back before I knew how to build and repair amps myself. It's a nice clean build with a Hoffman chassis and board with a lacquered tweed cabinet made in Maine, Magnetic Components Classic Tone transformers, a Weber 12A125 speaker, Jupiter coupling caps, NOS tubes ...

It's a stock 5E3 except the following-
    -The first filter cap has been increased to 32uF (to tighten the bass slightly)
    -The first coupling cap on the instrument channel has been decreased to 0.047uF (to brighten the amp a tad)
    -It has a blackface Deluxe power transformer (this puts the voltages where they need to be, especially the power tube plate voltage in the sweet spot of about 360v with 120v wall voltage)
    -The grounding has been improved (improved safety and noise)

It's a typical 5E3- the sound gets dirty at 9:00 on the volume control- the amp has no headroom to speak of, and it cleans up great from the guitar. The channels and controls can be juggled to get a great clean sound. It sags when you crank it and hit it hard. It sounds awesome with any guitar, but the Broadcaster/Tele style guitar that I built about 15 years ago and this amp is still my "go to" rig for many situations, though the Dr. Z Cure has taken its place sometimes.

I didn't think of this when I first replied to this thread, but I had a custom amp made and this was it!

A cup holder that self levels when you tilt the amp back.

I would like something in the vein of the black face concert I last played at Daddy's Junky Music before they got abruptly shuttered. With a reverb added and built in attenuation, like a Swart night light. Definitely 6L6 powered and big iron. I would go with a head cab style, and have 1x12, 2x12 and 4x10 cabs, all convertible backs, to choose to fit the playing situation.

That way, whatever heft the head has with the iron, I don't also have to confined to just a small combo for portability. I'm less concerned about multiple trips than I am about weight. I'd probably opt for the 4x10 as often as possible because that type of amp just sounds so dang good with all those speakers. The other cabs would be for situations where space may be at a premium.

As far as cosmetics, I'm fond of tweed.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Forum Member

My Deluxe was built for me by a friend about 10-12 years ago- back before I knew how to build and repair amps myself. It's a nice clean build with a Hoffman chassis and board with a lacquered tweed cabinet made in Maine, Magnetic Components Classic Tone transformers, a Weber 12A125 speaker, Jupiter coupling caps, NOS tubes ...

It's a stock 5E3 except the following-
    -The first filter cap has been increased to 32uF (to tighten the bass slightly)
    -The first coupling cap on the instrument channel has been decreased to 0.047uF (to brighten the amp a tad)
    -It has a blackface Deluxe power transformer (this puts the voltages where they need to be, especially the power tube plate voltage in the sweet spot of about 360v with 120v wall voltage)
    -The grounding has been improved (improved safety and noise)

It's a typical 5E3- the sound gets dirty at 9:00 on the volume control- the amp has no headroom to speak of, and it cleans up great from the guitar. The channels and controls can be juggled to get a great clean sound. It sags when you crank it and hit it hard. It sounds awesome with any guitar, but the Broadcaster/Tele style guitar that I built about 15 years ago and this amp is still my "go to" rig for many situations, though the Dr. Z Cure has taken its place sometimes.

I didn't think of this when I first replied to this thread, but I had a custom amp made and this was it!
    Wow! That certainly sounds like a great amp! if I ever get around to having one made, I'll have to pick your brains on how those interactive controls work!
    Last edited by Srini; 06-12-2020 at 09:01 PM.

Lightness. Add more lightness.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Forum Member

Some great discussion, I like the cup holder suggestion and will be sure to incorporate that.

I'm keen on the 6L6 single ended output section. I'm thinking a Tweed cosmetic, 6L6, basic tone control, tube rectified 1x12 combo. I have 10A125's and 10A150s in my 67' super, maybe a similar but larger diameter speaker, I like how not-loud it is. I think a 12" Alnico speaker would match up great with a single 6L6. We'll see about a reverb tank.

I don't have a single ended amp, or a 1x12, at the moment. I think something along the lines of this would be a great addition.

Once my OR80 is done and working (still have some diagnosis to do) ill start really sinking my teeth into this.

Has anyone any experience with using a different sort of preamp tube other than a "12aXX" series unit?

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Lightness. Add more lightness.
    Maybe I'll fill the reverb tank with helium. Has anyone done pitch-shifted reverb?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    I think a 12" Alnico speaker would match up great with a single 6L6.
    I'm curious about the Tone Tubby Humboldt series. Alnico, hemp cone, reasonably priced...but most of all, very light. I wonder if that will turn out to be a compromise.

Srini

Forum Member

Hi All! Just finished my OR80. It ended up needing a complete rebuild, so I did so on turret board, added adjustable bias, and assembled it all together. Here's some photos of the finished product. I wish I found orange turret board.

Id like to get started on a small combo soon! Maybe a summer project. Something you can crank and not really *require* earplugs like the above creation.

Cheers!

Nick

Forum Member

I've thought about building a 4-10 semi-closed pine cab 6v6 amp with nothing but a power switch. Turn it on and it's full up. Control volume and tone from the guitar or speaker swap only. I guess the tubes wouldn't last as long but so what, I think it would sound good.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    I've thought about building a 4-10 semi-closed pine cab 6v6 amp with nothing but a power switch. Turn it on and it's full up. Control volume and tone from the guitar or speaker swap only. I guess the tubes wouldn't last as long but so what, I think it would sound good.
    That's a purist's amp. I wonder how it would sound? I seldom like the sound of my amps turned up all the way- for instance, I think a tweed Champ turned up to 9 sound better than when it's turned up to 12. Having no gain sapping controls would be like setting it up to 15- even higher than that on an amp with a tone stack!

Forum Member

That's a purist's amp. I wonder how it would sound? I seldom like the sound of my amps turned up all the way- for instance, I think a tweed Champ turned up to 9 sound better than when it's turned up to 12. Having no gain sapping controls would be like setting it up to 15- even higher than that on an amp with a tone stack!
    It doesn't sound good on 12 when you roll your guitar volume down? I just think it would make for an incredibly touch sensitive amp but I really don't know, just thought it would be fun to try. And it seems redundant to have so many tone controls - speakers, tubes, tone stack, pickups and guitar tone knob.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    It doesn't sound good on 12 when you roll your guitar volume down?
    It really depends on the amp, but most, to me, sound best a little below full blast, even with the guitar turned down.

Forum Member

It really depends on the amp, but most, to me, sound best a little below full blast, even with the guitar turned down.
    I think most amps have a 12ax7 in the first stage, a tube with lower gain might allow you to go all the way.