Thread: Reverb pedal in front of the amp

Forum Member

Reverb pedal in front of the amp

I've never owned a tweed style amp, but I find that tweed deluxe tone to be irresistible. If I were to use one in my condo, it would obviously have to be attenuated in some way. That said, would you guys be horrified at the thought of sticking a reverb pedal in front of it - just for a little ambience?

Srini

Re: Reverb pedal in front of the amp

Reverb units were originally used in front of amps. If you like reverb there's nothing wrong with it.

When I use my tweed Deluxe clone with a band, I use a subtle Neunaber Wet reverb in front of it. Sometimes I like to use reverb as more of an effect like Neil Young does or for surf music and use a Catalinbread Topanga.

Ideally, if you use a high gain amp, it's better to use reverb in the loop.

Even Fender used to have a separate reverb unit to put in front of the amp, back in 1961. Nothing wrong with using one with a tweed amp.

If your neighbors are like mine, they deserve to be serenaded by your blaring tweed at full volume. I've never lived with such rude thoughtless noisy people who throw furniture around at 12:45 AM. I'm not sure what they're doing but it is loud and obnoxious. If it was just once, no big deal. This is constantly, any given night, not just Friday or Saturday which is almost but still not really that forgivable.

Oh, wait, you said condo, not apartment. yeah, you'll probably get a bunch of legal mumbo jumbo from the karens on the HOA board. Swart makes an attenuator called the Night light that I've heard good stuff about. I haven't tried one yet as nobody in my area carries Swart.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Forum Member

I intend to build a 6G15 clone someday, but it is unbelievable the prices they are asking for a chassis!
    Meanwhile I use a Boss FRV-1 with my 5E3 clone.

Forum Member

Thanks, guys...you're validating my thinking.

Speaking of attenuators, I like the idea of the Two Notes Captor at the moment, since I'll need a reactive load for recording as well. It has an attenuated output of -20db (fixed - no knob). That could be drastic, but those neighbors wouldn't have a clue, right? It sure would be nice to sit on the recliner, play along with the TV (or Netflix, or whatever) and get a tweed deluxe tone; with a touch of 'verb. Recording, of course, won't be an issue because going direct to an interface like the Steinberg UR 22c lets you monitor with what I think of as excellent reverb, but print dry.

Funny, Dan! It's true we have rules that some may think of as onerous (no showers after 11 PM because of the noise, for example), but I had a guy live two floors below me once who though it was a great idea to turn up his clock radio to max volume at 4 AM.

Srini

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    I intend to build a 6G15 clone someday, but it is unbelievable the prices they are asking for a chassis!
    Meanwhile I use a Boss FRV-1 with my 5E3 clone.
    I was using a Boss FRV-1 with my Princeton non reverb, sounded really good. Sadly I have no recordings of that because my room was terrible to try to use live mics in.

Now that I have a Princeton Reverb, I'm toying with the idea of letting either the pedal or the amp or both go. I'm going to try to hold onto them. You never know when you might have the opportunity to keep a spare rig at another location.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Forum Member

deleted
    Last edited by MGW-AB; 02-17-2021 at 09:46 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MGW-AB View Post
    I use reverbs in front of the amp as my normal practice.
    There are so many reverbs now that are more lush and dripping and velvety than a regular old spring tank.
    Plate style reverbs are my current preference.
    That TC Hall Of Fame sounds perfect for this kind of application, I think...

Quote Originally Posted by Srini View Post
    That TC Hall Of Fame sounds perfect for this kind of application, I think...
    I like the HOF a lot! I have an acoustic pedal board and that is one of the only pedals I use.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Reverb in front of Tweeds can be great.

I had good luck with this guy:

"...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

Forum Member

I like useing Plate reverb so I use a pedal to do it before the amp, last in effects chain. I don't use much if any gain on the amp's I own. I have pedals for that.

Forum Member

Curious if the OP did buy a pedal and if they were happy with it. In my view, it's your rig, it's your ears, it's your rules.

Certainly if there is no effect loop, an amp is getting the effect in front, and if that effect doesn't sound good to me, on to one of the dozens of other options.

My next reverb pedal is going to be Fender TreVerb which combines trem and reverb.