Thread: The Strat and Comfortability

The Strat and Comfortability

I noticed recently after having favored my Tele and Les Paul, I'll go back to the Strat, and it feels like home. I don't know what it is; my Tele has basically the same neck, but it's not as comfortable to play. In my case, it has nothing to do with body shape.

And I was talking to a buddy, who like me started off with a Strat. He's got a small but great collection of guitars, but he said the same thing about his Strat. His 335 is incredible: I've played it, and the sound is so good, and it feels good to play, but he's more comfortable on the Strat.

And it is just a comfortable guitar to play-weight, neck. My Ric 330 rivals it--the neck is so wonderful to play. It feels like I've been playing it for years.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: The Strat and Comfortability

For me, and I suspect also for others, it's not so much about weight as it is balance. Some guitars just feel so balanced when playing that it feels like no effort at all. I suspect that's why I like Fenders; my Gibson electrics are neck-heavy. "Neck dive" isn't a new phenomenon with Gibsons, but I do find that after playing one a while, it seems I'm fighting with it.

My new Ibanez has phenomenal balance. It's a light guitar to begin with (hollow body), but the whole instrument seems to be designed for comfortable playing. A nice, fast ebony fingerboard and the single cutaway all make for a superbly balanced guitar.

I think Fender got it right when they designed the Stratocaster. Oh, I know there's the ongoing Strat-vs-Tele argument, and I like both, but every Strat I've ever picked up just has that "balanced" feel to it.

For me, it's not a matter of weight. My Tele has a substantial slab, but it's no heavier or lighter than the Strat.

I suppose it's which guitar you started off with. But I think the Strat is just comfortable. But you're right that Fender knew how to design a guitar.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Forum Member

For me it’s the opposite; strats always seem to fight me, are strange and
    uncomfortable to play, a real battle. I think thats why I love them so much and have made my best recordings, live performances, and original songs on the Fender Stratocaster guitar.