Thread: The Sunday Thread for June 7, 2020

The Sunday Thread for June 7, 2020

Ye gods! The year is almost half over, can you believe it? What I can believe is that in normal, mid-Atlantic fashion, we've skipped Spring and jumped directly into Summer. The April showers we were supposed to get that bring May flowers have become the thunderstorms and harbingers of hurricanes to come.

I took a spill while riding my bicycle yesterday. I miscalculated a gap between pavement and curb and went down. I suffered some strawberries and bruises, but nothing serious. The bike is okay, and only I required a few bandages. The worst injury is a scraped knee, but I also have some tenderness in my strumming hand along with a couple of scrapes, so I may have to reduce the amount of time I spend letting the spirit of Robert Johnson flow through me.

I'm looking at an easy early part of the week after teaching all last week, but I have another shorter course I'm teaching starting Wednesday. So, I'm going to split my time between reading, watching the final episodes of Mad Men and picking up my guitar (and putting it down when my hand says, "Enough"). What's on everyone else's plate?

Re: The Sunday Thread for June 7, 2020

Yikes, Fred, get some training wheels! Glad you're all right.

I am exhausted. I'm a nerd and live a sedentary lifestyle, or have done until recently. My son and I worked all day in 90something degree heat, painting my front door, porch, shutters, and back patio. We thought it would be an easy job. It wasn't. We stayed at it for about 7 hours. We thought that when we got to the patio, it would be easy. It wasn't and we used a gallon and a half of paint on it alone. In the 2nd pic, the patio is foreshortened because of the camera angle. It's quite big. Lately, I've been getting the house fixed; it's become my hobby. My folks lived in the country, and they transformed their place in the woods into a paradise. I am working toward a suburban paradise. My house is not a rich person's house, but it's my home, and I love it.

Of course, after the porch dried, my dog Keevo had to track dirt on the front porch. Easily sprayed off.

If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

It was originally supposed to be a sunny, low seventies day here but right now it’s overcast with thunderstorms to the north of us. I’m really looking forward to getting out and putting some miles on the new Harley. We purchased in in March and still only have 340 miles on it thanks to the wacky Wisconsin weather.

We’re finally able to get together for breakfast with our usual Sunday morning group of friends with “social distancing” still the mode of the day. Hopefully, once we’ve touched base with our friends we’ll be able to get a little scooter time in.

There was supposedly a 50% chance of rain here today. That's no longer in the forecast, though it's overcast. My mother and stepfather are going to visit today. We haven't seen them since early March. We will practice social distancing and wear our masks when we can't. He keeps a project motorcycle here and is bringing a new cover to replace the ones that the wind storms we've been having destroyed.

We had a window of weather that allowed the outdoor show I wanted to go to last night happen. I had a great time and I'm really glad I went. The show was supposed to be 5-8 and it ended going an extra hour. It was a special show for the 50th anniversary of a Seacoast institution, the Stone Church of Newmarket NH. I went there many a times during my tenure at UNH and years after while I was living in the area.

So many of my old venues are gone now, The White Horse in Milford burned down. Stevie P in Hudson, The Blackbrimmer in Manchester closed. Martha's, The Pub Grainery and The Garden in Nashua no longer have live shows, I don't know what became of the Penuche's live music but if it even exists, it's a shadow of its glory days. Stormy Mondays in Merrimack is gone. McGillicutty's in Goffstown became a Mexican place IIRC. The Franklin Ballroom in Durham is no more and I'm not sure if Nick's exists anymore either. The Tin Palace is still there but no music anymore.

So going last night was a pilgrimage. It also was a bookend because the last show I saw before shutdown was there in mid-Feb for Party Gras, with the same band
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

I hate to admit, but I just woke up (11:45). No plans for today except maybe continuing cleaning up the music room. I have started replacing the deck flooring - removed one board so far...
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Lather, rinse, repeat of the last several weekends. Beautiful weather here. Landscaping projects, motorcycling and chill/music later on. Just finished our COVID backyard oasis. Since selling the lake house/cottage last year I figured we could import some of the vibe here. Reclaimed some of the wildflower garden and laid some pea gravel down for a firepit area (propane firepit vs wood), some new Muskoka chairs and lots of planters/potted plants. We replaced the patio table set earlier this year and it’s looking pretty good. No lake anymore so perhaps a water feature....like a hot tub!

had out first outdoor fire of the season last night. Delightful! If I could reliably order groceries and liquor online, I’d never leave!

Duplicate post
    Last edited by dirtdog; 06-07-2020 at 11:06 AM.