Thread: Is this 90's MIM Strat real?

Forum Member

Is this 90's MIM Strat real?

x
    Last edited by jrob1765; 06-06-2020 at 11:46 AM.

Re: Is this 90's MIM Strat real?

That's a '96 Standard Strat. I'm pretty sure the Squier Series say "Squier Series" on them. I like these at $300.

Quote Originally Posted by jrob1765 View Post
    Hey! I've been looking to pick up a Stratocaster recently and found this one for a decent price ($350) on a local forum. It looks okay to me, but I'm a bit unfamiliar with MIM strats and especially how the headstock decals and serial numbers have changed over the years. I've read that the black logo on the headstock could mean it's a Squier series which seem to be sold for less, but I'm totally unsure so I was hoping someone more knowledgable could shed some light on this guitar. Thanks!

Hard to tell without pics but black logo MiMs from the 90s are probably of the Squier Series strats that were made in Mexico and Brazil. The “Squier Series” logo was often scraped off. In Brazil the logo was changed to silver and the series later called “Southern Cross Series”.

They made a ton of black logo Strats that were not Squiers. In the US, I see far more that aren't Squier. I believe that you had pics of the guitar posted here yesterday and that the headstock looked clean.

We can often help with good photos, but due to the nature of Fender guitars, unfortunately, it's up to the buyer to beware.

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    They made a ton of black logo Strats that were not Squiers. In the US, I see far more that aren't Squier. I believe that you had pics of the guitar posted here yesterday and that the headstock looked clean.

We can often help with good photos, but due to the nature of Fender guitars, unfortunately, it's up to the buyer to beware.
    None of them were "Squiers", some having the "Squier Series" stamp, some not, but most are basically the Mexican/Brazilian strat with Asian loaded pickguard assembled at theCortek (Cort) plant.

It seems, though, that the OP gave up on the thread.