Thread: You Have Come into Enough Money to Buy a 1965 Strat but wait...

You Have Come into Enough Money to Buy a 1965 Strat but wait...

Silly post 1,455.

You've run into enough money to buy a vintage Fender, and your local shop has a pristine, hardly played and kept in the case for all of these years, 65 Stratocaster. It's even in a color unique, like no other guitar Fender ever made.

But wait, your partner says, Nooooooooo. I want jewelry or I'm going home to mother.

Would you
    A) Forget the guitar and go to Kay's Jewelry

B) Secretly hit the streets and sell your body to people who cruise, looking for that sort of thing...so that you can buy both jewelry and the guitar

C) Buy fake jewelry so that you can also buy the guitar

D) Breakup with the partner, stop playing guitar, and become a mortuary assistant.

E) Buy the jewelry, enjoy whatever benefits you get from that, and take up hop scotch as a hobby.

F) Play Sean Connery's James Bond and smack the shit out of your partner, go and buy the guitar, come back home, and fart loudly between chords.

G) None of these: I hate Strats

H) All of these: I love drama

J) You break it off for good with a person who thinks jewelry is more important than a 65 Strat.

So which of these would you do? Serious answers will be met with derision and a picture of a Llama driving a tractor.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: You Have Come into Enough Money to Buy a 1965 Strat but wait...

I'd buy the Strat and then tell my significant other I bought it for her. So I could teach her how to play. She'd maybe last about a week or so trying to learn and then move on to other pursuits. I would then take the guitar and move it somewhere (my guitar room) where it would be out of her immediate vision, and she would soon forget about it.

But, things like this don't stay buried forever, so at some later point she might ask about it. "Yeah, it's here somewhere. But it's now so old that it's not worth trying to do anything with it." End of conversation. Until next time.

That's a sly and dishonest solution--and I will use it if I ever get in such a relationship.

You were almost serious for a moment, so I have to deride you.

You are the son of a willow tree and a skunk. You're so lazy, you get worn out from blinking your eyes twice.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

At least you spared me the picture of the llama.

I'd play it and see if it was worth the money. Probably isn't. A wise man one said on this forum "Old shit is old shit." A lot of the vintage Fenders I've played were real clunkers.

I have the money to buy a '65 Strat anytime I wish yet feel no compulsion to do so. The only reason I could see myself buying one would be to help a charity.

YMMV,

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    I'd play it and see if it was worth the money. Probably isn't. A wise man one said on this forum "Old shit is old shit." A lot of the vintage Fenders I've played were real clunkers.

I have the money to buy a '65 Strat anytime I wish yet feel no compulsion to do so.

YMMV,

Chuck
    Looky here, Mr. Deep Pockets. This 65 is the best guitar Fender ever made. You've played nothing like it. And yet, you have the hottest girlfriend on the planet. 80s Cindy Crawford looks like trash in comparison. It's the 80s, Chuck, and you look exactly like Boy George but with a Flock of Seagulls hair style. Now, boy. Which are you going to choose?

Tell her Tom Selleck says it's a good investment. Jewellery just gets lost or stolen.

Sooooo right, dirtdog.

Buy the guitar and shack up with the lovely lady llama who owns a tractor.

What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

option F then J

but wait, what if she's the vengeful type? you come home and find nothing but a neck plate, a strap button and I don't know how she did it but three frets, badly bent.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Looky here, Mr. Deep Pockets. This 65 is the best guitar Fender ever made. You've played nothing like it. And yet, you have the hottest girlfriend on the planet. 80s Cindy Crawford looks like trash in comparison. It's the 80s, Chuck, and you look exactly like Boy George but with a Flock of Seagulls hair style. Now, boy. Which are you going to choose?
    In all honesty, I've got to go for the smoking hot girlfriend! (Who I married and somehow after all these decades she still puts up with me, which is one of life's greatest mysteries. I can assure you I don't look good naked anymore.)
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

In all honesty, I've got to go for the smoking hot girlfriend! (Who I married and somehow after all these decades she still puts up with me, which is one of life's greatest mysteries. I can assure you I don't look good naked anymore.)
    No fears. From the looks of all of our photos on these pages, I don't think any of us looks good naked. Ha ha.

and don't nobody go and try to prove otherwise.

Maxwell Ban Hammer will come down on your head, or he should

Depends on how good it is. If it is that "can't live without it" one, I'd haggle the guy down and buy her jewelry with the rest.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

Such serious answers. I couldn't find a llama driving a tractor, but I found something almost as good.

Here, have some derision and this photo:

First of all, I’d immediately dump any woman who’d ask me for jewelry. I’ve proudly given jewelry to all my girlfriends but never because they asked. So in that situation, I’d leave the shop with the guitar and without the lady. Without even blinking.

Btw I’ve been in quite a similar situation once, though not so extremely expensive; the Strat being my black Am Std, and the “jewelry” being a trip to Europe, which she had her particular reasons to desire and I didn’t. Sure, I could have afforded both, but I wanted the Strat and definitely wasn’t gonna go to Germany or Austria just to please anyone.
    The Strat is still with me, and since then I’ve had several GFs, so I guess my decision was right.

Sergio.

Your answer is perfectly viable.

But it's very serious.

So I throw derision your way. Not to Jessica cos she's perfect.

Now: feel the derision pouring down upon you.

Derision. Such a good word. Such a great thing.

I would finalize construction of my time machine (I'm a procrastinator, so I figure once I build it I can go back in time and build it for me sooner). Then I would go back to 1965 and buy a brand new one for a lot cheaper - in fact, I'd go back and buy one for everyone on this forum.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

woo hoo. Um, I want one in Candy Apple Green, no wait, Candy Apple Tangerine. mmm. Tangerine.

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie View Post
    I would finalize construction of my time machine (I'm a procrastinator, so I figure once I build it I can go back in time and build it for me sooner). Then I would go back to 1965 and buy a brand new one for a lot cheaper - in fact, I'd go back and buy one for everyone on this forum.
    Damn, that's the kind of friends I'm glad I have. Please pick me up a Precision Bass too.

You said "unique color." But you didn't say what. Uh... Still want to buy it?

Ok, Fred, you've avoided derision and a llama pic with that astute move.

If it were a 65, I'd still take it. At least I could get drunk at a gig, throw up on it, and it wouldn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Damn, that's the kind of friends I'm glad I have. Please pick me up a Precision Bass too.
    And one of those worthless old, heavy Les Pauls, too, please.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

Quote Originally Posted by jrgtr42 View Post
    And one of those worthless old, heavy Les Pauls, too, please.
    I wonder if a llama ever played a Les Paul. I certainly wouldn't deride anyone for playing guitar while riding a llama.

A 55 year old guitar in pristine shape has got to be a dud. No one wanted to play it, that's why it's pristine.

Oh yeah, dump the partner asap.

Buy a guitar that has been re-fretted several times in 55 years.

Quote Originally Posted by waxbytes View Post
    A 55 year old guitar in pristine shape has got to be a dud. No one wanted to play it, that's why it's pristine.

SHHhhhh, not too loud! My 63 year-old Gibson might hear you and will start acting needy.

Quote Originally Posted by waxbytes View Post

The Derisive Llama looks at you:

I have the money to buy a '65 Strat anytime I wish yet feel no compulsion to do so. The only reason I could see myself buying one would be to help a charity.
    Well, we've got three of the five stages of intoxication here. Just need "bullet proof" and "invisible" to complete the set!

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdog View Post
    Well, we've got three of the five stages of intoxication here. Just need "bullet proof" and "invisible" to complete the set!
    Hey, I never said "It sucks to be me!" Heck, I supplied the tour bus for the TFF. Some might say "Life's been good to me so far." Friend me on Facebook and you can all come along for the ride!

Chuck