Thread: 23 year old

23 year old

refrigerator quit sometime yesterday.

Everything in the freezer is soft so it has been off a while.

I took a few things from the fridge side I thought were ok to work.

Too late for the Blue Bell and popsicles.

What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

Re: 23 year old

that's about what we got out of our previous fridge.

my mom wanted a new one with pass through door ice maker and cold water dispenser. She also wanted it big enough to hold a large pizza box on a shelf. We ended up with a monster that stuck over 5 inches past the edge of the counters flanking it. I tried to talk her out of it but no, she had to have it.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Funny thing, I remember the conversation at Sears with the salesman when we bought it.

“You’ll need the extended warranty because things aren’t built like the good old days!”

We did alright without it I would think.
    What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

Forum Member

When I first opened the shop in '92, a fellow I hired moved a fridge with him from Arizona. It was a '56 Frigidaire, and weighed a ton. It had aluminum shelves that slid in and out, and a temp controlled covered butter storage. We used it for lunch fixings, and of course beer until about 10 years ago when it quit cooling. I jumpered the t/stat control, and it started cooling, so I contacted a customer who did appliance repair who promised to find a t/stat. He gave me another he had acquired, and never did get a t/stat for the old antique!
    I suspect this one will last until I can talk someone else into the joy of owning their own business!

Quote Originally Posted by CoyotesGator View Post

Funny thing, I remember the conversation at Sears with the salesman when we bought it.

“You’ll need the extended warranty because things aren’t built like the good old days!”

We did alright without it I would think.

Kenmore?

I've got a 17 year old Kenmore fridge in the kitchen....stove as well. Been waiting for the day to come....guess I might have a few more years left yet!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    When I first opened the shop in '92, a fellow I hired moved a fridge with him from Arizona. It was a '56 Frigidaire, and weighed a ton. It had aluminum shelves that slid in and out, and a temp controlled covered butter storage. We used it for lunch fixings, and of course beer until about 10 years ago when it quit cooling. I jumpered the t/stat control, and it started cooling, so I contacted a customer who did appliance repair who promised to find a t/stat. He gave me another he had acquired, and never did get a t/stat for the old antique!
    I suspect this one will last until I can talk someone else into the joy of owning their own business!
    Those old fridges are cool. I inherited one in the cottage we bought 10 years ago. Was the "bunkhouse spare" beer fridge. Converted it into kegerator and THAT was selling point when we listed the property last year. The family who bought the place, I think the husband made an offer just on the basis of the kegerator alone. Used a TON of electricity, though - compared to a new fridge.

It's overwhelming to realize that 20 years ago we already could see that products weren't as good and durable as the ones our parents bought back in their days...

...and that the ones we buy today are even worse!