Thread: Fender Hybrid 60's Jazz Bass MIJ

Forum Member

Fender Hybrid 60's Jazz Bass MIJ

Hello,

New guy here. I am fairly new to bass playing and looking for a Fender Jazz Bass or a model that has a jazz pickup at the bridge and a Precision pickup at the neck (not sure what this model is called). I love the look of Torino Red or Transparent Red. I found a MIJ Fender Jazz bass that fits what I am looking for. Does anyone have experience with this bass that they could share? Just wondering what the opinion is on made in Japan Fender Basses, and particularly the MIJ hybrid 60's Jazz Bass.

Thank you!

Jim

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: Fender Hybrid 60's Jazz Bass MIJ

Unlike Fender basses made in Mexico, you'll likely discover that US-spec replacement parts for MIJ/CIJ basses do not precisely correspond dimensionally with their Fuji-Gen counterparts. Thus even something as simple as a pickguard change becomes problematic. I find the Japanese electronics mediocre and are best replaced by Fender-US or quality aftermarket components. As well, many MIJ/CIJ bodies are fabricated from basswood rather than the preferred alder or ash, the latter of which is much more resonant than the softer timber.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    Unlike Fender basses made in Mexico, you'll likely discover that US-spec replacement parts for MIJ/CIJ basses do not precisely correspond dimensionally with their Fuji-Gen counterparts. Thus even something as simple as a pickguard change becomes problematic. I find the Japanese electronics mediocre and are best replaced by Fender-US or quality aftermarket components. As well, many MIJ/CIJ bodies are fabricated from basswood rather than the preferred alder or ash, the latter of which is much more resonant than the softer timber.
    Here are the specs for the MIJ 60's Jazz Bass

Jazz bass
    Color: Turin Red
    ■ Body: Alder
    ■ Body finish: Polyester
    ■ Neck: Maple
    ■ Fingerboard: Rosewood, 20 frets
    ■ Pickup: Fender USA Vintage Jazz Bass
    Control: Volume x2, Tone x1
    ■ Bridge: 4-Saddle Vintage-Style
    ■ Gig bag included

Forum Member

I would love to have a Fender Jazz bass with an ash body and a red nitrocellulose lacquer finish. Does this model exist to your knowledge? It might be in the form of a 60's reissue of some sort?

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by islandjimmy View Post
    I would love to have a Fender Jazz bass with an ash body and a red nitrocellulose lacquer finish. Does this model exist to your knowledge? It might be in the form of a 60's reissue of some sort?
    Not to my knowledge. Fender switched from nitrocellulose lacquer to polyester circa 1972 and didn't start offering ash bodies until roughly 1974. In any case the Jazz/Precision pickup configuration you seek was not available during this era.

For a custom-featured bass, you might be better off building your own. That's what I did......

"When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Forum Member

Not to my knowledge. Fender switched from nitrocellulose lacquer to polyester circa 1972 and didn't start offering ash bodies until roughly 1974. In any case the Jazz/Precision pickup configuration you seek was not available during this era.

For a custom-featured bass, you might be better off building your own. That's what I did......
    Nice bass. Did you have that built through the Fender Mod Shop?

So much schwing in that pic I’ll have excuse myself for a while.
    What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

Quote Originally Posted by CoyotesGator View Post
    So much schwing in that pic I’ll have excuse myself for a while.
    Hahaha I was thinking almost the same thing! Towel and a smoke follows!
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>