Thread: The Sunday Thread for May 31, 2020

The Sunday Thread for May 31, 2020

Summer is here. For most of us, anyway. Sérgio (and perhaps others) are entering winter. Such as it is.

"Phase One" has begun in my neck of the woods. The people who think they're smarter believe we can now begin coming out of our hidey-holes. Oh, we're now required to wear masks indoors in public places, because, well because.

But I got to see my grandkids yesterday. My grandson turned one year old Friday, and we had a party for him. His parents got him a "smash cake," something I'd never heard of before: a small, one-person cake (decorated with a large #1 candle - unlit) that he could just mash and mush with his hands and fingers. What a mess! They also hung a bed sheet filled with 35 balloons from a railing above the living room, and when he was seated in his high chair mushing his cake, let them drop. All the bouncy colors were a sight to behold!

It was good to see my family. I'm not a real people person, but those I love are near and dear to me, and yesterday was a real pleasure after two months!

Today is supposed to be a bit cooler, but sunny and pleasant. I will probably ride my bike a bit, and spend some -- heck, a lot -- of time getting to know my new guitars!
    Last edited by OldStrummer; 05-31-2020 at 10:36 AM.

Re: The Sunday Thread for May 31, 2020

Glad you got to see your family and enjoy the first birthday party! I know many people in the same boat - waiting to get to spend time with family.

this weekend has been a “lather-rinse-repeat” of the last several weekends. A bit of motorcycle riding, some landscaping work and some chill time. I’m still making the best of isolating. I’m in no rush to get back to the office, go shopping normally, etc.

we’re in Phase “1.5” around here...first phase of reopening with some ad how adjustments along the way. In my city, we’re still seeing new daily cases, but that’s hovering around 10 new cases per day. So it’s still propagating. I won’t be participating in crowded situations until we’ve had at least two weeks of no new cases. That’s my personal threshold.

Forum Member

Nice here, governor Nope says some thing's can partially open, I stuck.a.note in the door to.Eve to schedule a haircut!
    Interesting that Jaliscos cafe has been opening in spite of.the governor. Our county has 15 total cases no deaths and still they're trying to keep things shut down! After all these months now Albertsons wants us to wear a face diaper, so I've been going to the other 2 stores for.groceries.

Imagine you are one of those minimum wage employees in a grocery store in contact with hundreds of people every day. is it THAT much to ask to wear a mask?
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

We're still seeing a lot of sick people here in Massachusetts. I don't mind staying in and wearing a mask.

I'm on furlough this week. Hopefully the weather is nice. I'm going to go mow the lawn now so that's out of the way.

Forum Member

If there really was a problem why wait 2 months before instituting the policy? Why wasn't there a threat when we actually had increasing cases, but after a month or more of no new ones, there's a necessity? It's political, the other stores have a sign but don't harass you. You would think.the Albertsons manager would notice that business was down, but there is no permanent manager yet, so they pretend they are the mask police.
    You might check out the CDC and WHO guidelines for the effectiveness of masks, if it makes someone feel better to wear one OK but I don't have to just to alleviate someone's fear.

we're slowly opening here, I had a haircut this week. Restaurants are outdoors eating only. you need to call ahead for reservations. my brother and I went to Peddlar's Daughter last night. I wanted to go Friday night their first night but I missed the cutoff time. They were my last place I went to before the shutdown.

It was a nice night we had a couple of draft beers *gasp* DRAFT beer, I'd almost forgotten how good that was. The real standout of the night was the haddock tacos. Normally I'm not big on seafood-type tacos but we split the order and I almost regretted not getting my own they were so good.

Weather permitting next Saturday I'm going to my first live music show outdoors. It is a lot cooler today and tomorrow than it has been.

Allegedly a new guitar should be on my doorstep very soon. Fedex estimated May 31 but it was in transit in CT at 349 AM this so I'd doubtful it will be delivered today. I start the next staff line of a song I'm working on, time to print a fresh blank staff page and get to practicing.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie View Post
    Imagine you are one of those minimum wage employees in a grocery store in contact with hundreds of people every day. is it THAT much to ask to wear a mask?
    Thank you.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Why start making comments about the virus on this thread? It's become politicized whether it should be or not.

I'm not trying to stop anyone's free speech here. But if I brought up pro-life or pro-choice, I'd be asking for trouble. If you don't want to wear a mask, your choice. If you don't think we need to stay closed down, good, it's your right to think it.

But since it's become politicized, it's not right to make this place a forum for that. I can go to political discussion forums if I want that.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

TFF Stage Crew

Finished up my video for "Too Much Time On My Hands" (See Members Links area) yesterday, working on two more today--Footloose, and Dylan's "Lord Protect My Child."

I'll definitely get outside for a long walk today, too. It's gorgeous out!

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Why start making comments about the virus on this thread? It's become politicized whether it should be or not.

I'm not trying to stop anyone's free speech here. But if I brought up pro-life or pro-choice, I'd be asking for trouble. If you don't want to wear a mask, your choice. If you don't think we need to stay closed down, good, it's your right to think it.

But since it's become politicized, it's not right to make this place a forum for that. I can go to political discussion forums if I want that.

Thank YOU!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

We got out on the new Harley this morning for a ride on a beautiful, cloudless, mid-sixties day here behind the cheddar curtain in Wisconsin. A stop for breakfast with our friends (for the first time since March) and a Harley that can pull the front wheel off the ground with a healthy twist of the throttle makes for a wonderful day. I hope all had a great day.