Thread: Layman Questions about Fender and Vox

Layman Questions about Fender and Vox

I love my Deluxe and my AC30. They have some tones in common, but they're very different.

I don't even know how to describe the difference. Each sounds full-bodied, and even though I'm gong through a honeymoon period with the Vox and prefer it right now. I'll see how I feel in 6 months with a little more objectivity.

My questions is: What makes these amps different? I don't mean features that are important to the sound, ie, reverb or top boost vs non.

I guess I want electronic information told to me in a way that I can understand it.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Forum Member

Re: Layman Questions about Fender and Vox

They each send electrons down very different paths...

are Vox as mid-scooped as a lot of Fenders tend to be? I'm thinking in terms of the more vintage 6V6 and 6L6 Fenders not the newer EL84 stuff.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Apparently, it has E84s in it. With 12AX preamp tubes, I take it.

It sounds nothing like a Marshall, which is okay by me for the tones I look for.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by renderit View Post
    They each send electrons down very different paths...
    Would you say they are European electrons or Canadian electrons? Everybody knows that Canadian electrons have polite personalities and aren't capable of distortion. European electrons create overdrive, smooth. You have to get Texas electrons to get any nasty sounds.

Is that what you mean?

Forum Member

Some are scholarly and refined, developed with the best intentions.

Some are coarse and vulgar, the result of less than optimal options.

The path they take may not be dictated by societal circuitry, but by opportunities taken.

As a result each is unique and must be appreciated for what it is.

I suspect each country they are in and the pressures of 'different norms' in said may have some resultant tonal changes, but overall the path taken matters more.

I find that relieving pressure induced by the 'standard input' from 'the wall' affects most in a positive way...

They're different amps by different builders. Even though the end result is the same, (exciting the speakers to create sound waves) they way they get there is different.
    If you get a circuit diagram of each, they will be very different. Capacitors, resistors, the tubes themselves, all different, creating different paths and different sounds.
    It's like asking why a Les Paul is different from a Stratocaster. They both do the same thing; play music, but why they sound different, all other things being the same.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.