Thread: What Is THIS??? Vox MSB25BRG

What Is THIS??? Vox MSB25BRG

Vox is well-known and well-regarded for their AC line of tube amps. If you want "the British" sound, you have to have a Vox. So I'm told. The only Vox I own is a book-sized AC2 RhythmVox. So, when I came across this one, I went WTF?

A 25-watt, 1x10" mini-stack. Called a "Mini Superbeetle" in British Racing Green. Equipped with something called the Nutube vacuum tube. I guess it fits somewhere between the AC10 and AC30?

Re: What Is THIS??? Vox MSB25BRG

On a Hofner forum, people praise these. I don’t know a thing about them.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

it makes me wonder. I never thought the real deal superbeatle I played sounded all that great. They might have been what the beatles used on their concerts and tv appearances but those were largely drowned out by screaming. Maybe this is an improvement?

appears to come in two forms, one with reverb, trem for guitar, and fuzz for bass, 25 and 50 watts respectively 1x10 both of them.

ch willie, which were they praising on the hofner, more likely the bass model?
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    it makes me wonder. I never thought the real deal superbeatle I played sounded all that great. They might have been what the beatles used on their concerts and tv appearances but those were largely drowned out by screaming. Maybe this is an improvement?

appears to come in two forms, one with reverb, trem for guitar, and fuzz for bass, 25 and 50 watts respectively 1x10 both of them.

ch willie, which were they praising on the hofner, more likely the bass model?
    I've seen praise for both. Again, I know nothing about them, but I looked them up and saw they are solid state, not that that's necessarily bad. I'm always wary about reviews I see on the FB groups for Ric and Hofner--they're often reviews by players who haven't had a lot of experience with amps. I suspect that in a few of the SB amp users cases, they don't really know about the amps; they're happy to have a piece of equipment with "Beatles" in the model name.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Well, strictly speaking, the "Beatles" in the name is spelled "beetle." Probably a licensing issue more than anything else.

You said you looked them up and that they're solid state, but what is this "Nutube" they're brandishing about?

Edited to add: I found this about Nutube: https://korgnutube.com/en/

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Well, strictly speaking, the "Beatles" in the name is spelled "beetle." Probably a licensing issue more than anything else.

You said you looked them up and that they're solid state, but what is this "Nutube" they're brandishing about?

Edited to add: I found this about Nutube: https://korgnutube.com/en/
    My mistake--I just looked up Nutube. From what they say, it's a tube "device" also a fluorescent tube. I know little about tubes. Maybe someone else can tell us more about Nutube.

There are good reviews out there, best if you can find one on youtube done by someone without a stake in selling one. You also have to be careful on fora. I was just looking on one site, and they were talking about the Super Beetle, talking about how close to regular tube it is, but few of them actually had or had played using regular tube amps.

I'm not trying to dissuade you. I'm old school and question new technology, though I am very open to it. They have the cool look factor to consider if they sound as good as people say. I wouldn't mind having full-size Vox amps like the Beatles used for guitar and bass. After getting my AC30, I'm in love with Vox amps now. The sound is like no other amp.

No dissuasion necessary, Will. If I plunk any money down for another amp it will be for an acoustic guitar amp. First, I'm going to see about getting my Line6 AMPLIFi 30 or my Fender Champion 40 working that way, first.

I'm not against solid state per se. I've had a Trademark 10, a Korg GC-405 and extension cab, a SWR workingman 10 bass amp, and my Acoustic 260 mini stack, all of them solid state. I'd gladly have one of each again ... if I had the room. If this Vox nutube stuff is anything like the aft-mentioned amps, it'll be pretty decent.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"