Thread: Anyone Ever Bought a Blem, B-Stock, Open Box, or Closeout? Your Experience?

Anyone Ever Bought a Blem, B-Stock, Open Box, or Closeout? Your Experience?

I've been misbehaving again, and surfing the web. Always a dangerous practice for me! Out of curiosity, I went to several guitar sites and was checking out their sales bins. There could be some real bargains there, if one knows what they're after!

I've purchased many-a-computer from the "scratch and dent" or "refurb" section, and have never been disappointed (I'm typing on one now!). I have purchased used guitars off Reverb, but there the sellers are quite open about the issues, and post photos, an engage in email exchanges, so one has a good sense of the product before buying.

But what about the major sites like GC, Sweetwater, AMS, CME, Zzounds who simply have a catch-all description. Here's AMS's for example:
    Minor Blemished Products are items that have been returned in excellent condition with very minor cosmetic blemishes, allowing you to get great gear at a discounted price. In fact, many times our customers have difficulty finding the minor blemishes at all! These products are 100% inspected and tested to guarantee functionality. They include all components, manuals and the full Manufacturer's warranty unless otherwise stated, along with the AMS 45-Day Money-Back Guarantee to ensure your satisfaction. Special offers, promotions and rebates may not apply. The following manufacturers do not offer a warranty on Minor Blemished products: Casio, Ampeg, Avalon, Chauvet, Electro-Voice, Gibson, Ibanez, Mackie, Peavey, PreSonus, Taylor
    There are Martin guitars with up to 34% off in the minor blem category. That could be a pretty good deal if someone was in the market!

So, what's your experience?

(My personal reason for asking is that Ibanez Artcore AG95QA I posted about is $552.49+$50 s&h on Reverb, but $549.95+free 2-day shipping in the blem box at AMS. Is it worth saving $50 and not getting a warranty? Or spend the extra and get Reverb's protection?)

Re: Anyone Ever Bought a Blem, B-Stock, Open Box, or Closeout? Your Experience?

Many years ago I purchased a Gibson ES-347 that was marked a blem from the Gibson plant. The only way you could tell that it was not a top quality instrument was that BLEM was stamped under the serial number (think that was it, it’s been around 30 years ago) on the back of the headstock.

I've bought gear that was b-stock, mostly effects, rack stuff, monitors. None of it was ever a problem.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

My Ibanez Tube Screamer amp was listed as a refurb. In this case, it simply meant that someone got it, didn't want it for whatever reason , and returned it. When I got it, it was packaged as if no one had ever opened it. No blemishes, nothing wrong with the electronics. I might feel differently about buying such a guitar on reverb or ebay--unless they have a lot of top ratings.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

TFF Stage Crew

I have bought a ton of my studio gear as B-stock or demo items. Sweetwater is great for that. None have arrived with any noticeable blemishes. It's a great way to save money.

I've bought one or two guitars that way over the years, and, again, never had a problem.

My 2017 ES-335 was one of the close out "floor models" from CME a couple of years ago. It's been a really nice guitar. No issues. It's not a "blem", "B-stock" or even an "open box" (other than for CME to put their sales info in the case), and definitely not a "floor model".

I had an Epiphone Elitist ES-335 that was a MIRC closeout guitar. I didn't buy it first hand, but it was also a fine guitar.

I've had a couple of Fulltone "blems"- a Supa-Trem and an Octafuzz. I couldn't find the blems.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

The only way I'd buy a blem, factory second, or scratch-and-dent piece of equipment is if I could personally examine the specimen prior to purchase.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

This one.

https://www.thefenderforum.com/forum...er-wrong-thing

No issues.

I did end up swapping the pickups out - Normal for me.

I would definitely make sure there was an excellent return policy I were to do it again.
    What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

When Fender sold Guild I bought a couple "B Stock" acoustics and they are amazing. They had some "A" Stock guitars on closeout and I bought one of those too. I did buy two of them unseen, but it was with the provision I could return them if I was not happy... I was happy!
    Last edited by gibsonjunkie; 05-28-2020 at 01:54 PM.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain