Thread: Regarding live Fuzz situations. Jimi material.

Regarding live Fuzz situations. Jimi material.

Since I decided to try a new approach to my live playing, by ditching most pedals and using a more compact amp, a fuzz and a Wah to do everything in a simpler way, I’ve been researching a lot about tone and how to get the best out of these items.

This material here is just too cool for people who like Hendrix, I had to share:

https://en.customboards.fi/blogs/art...d-signal-chain

Re: Regarding live Fuzz situations. Jimi material.

Keep on mind that the fuzz setting that sounds great at home will almost completely disappear with a band. You'll need a lot more mids and maybe more volume to cut through. This is always the case, but is a bigger problem with fuzz. This is where the mids control on my Fulltone '69 Pedal come in handy.

I meant to mention something in your Octafuzz thread but forgot. It sounds like you're using it more as a regular fuzz, and it's great for that, but if you'd really like to try out the full Octavia experience I suggest the following-
    -Switch the octave on, turn the drive down low and raise the volume as high as needed. Use the neck pickup on your Strat, lower the volume a bit and play above the 9th fret for steel drum sounds.
    -Do the same as above, but run the Octafuzz into another fuzz pedal, like a Fuzz Face. The octave becomes accentuated.

Unfortunately, I don't have an actual Octafuzz or Octavia right now. I recently sold my Roger Mayer Rocket Octavia. That pedal was incredibly cool, but a total commitment to the fuzz octave sound. I still have an H.B.E. UFO (Ultimate Fuzz Octave) which is based on the Fozz Tone Machine, I believe. It sounds a little different than an Octavia and tracks a little better- it's easier to use.

The Roger Mayer Octavia-

Note that the Drive is set around 9:00 and the Volume is all the way up. This pedal only really sounded good set clean into another fuzz pedal.

Some fuzz pedals. The H.B.E. UFO is on the left-

My beloved Fulltone '69 Pedal. Note the Contour (mids) setting. A stock Fuzz Face would be turned all the way down. Also note the Bias setting. If I recall, a stock Fuzz Face would be turned all the way up. Lowering it where I have it allows a wah to work in front of the '69. I always have the Fuzz set all the way up. It'll clean up completely from the guitar- I leave the pedal on for the whole song and ride the guitar's volume control. The Volume is usually set between 12:00 and 1:00 depending on need. This pedal is noisy and hell and has to be turned off between songs.
    Last edited by Don; 05-23-2020 at 07:45 AM.

Re: Regarding live Fuzz situations. Jimi material.

Yes, I’m aware of that, and actually I don’t use the fuzz as a main dirt effect. I drive the amp and use the octafuzz to increase gain and add character to the tone.

I don’t even use the octa function. What I really like about the Octafuzz is the fuzz itself.