Thread: Digital VS Analog

Forum Member

Digital VS Analog

This says it all the soul in music is gone Start at the interview #1900 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPV6nKrhOGg

Re: Digital VS Analog

Joe’s entitled to his opinion and he’s probably more informed than most of us here, but there’s so many examples to the contrary where soulful music can be captured in the digital environment. Just because there’s a grid doesn’t mean you have to play to it. Digital production tech has made the economics of music production more affordable (compared to the system and technology when Joe Walsh earned his stripes). And yes, the system as it’s been known for the last 50-60 years has been disrupted by digital tech. And not necessarily for the worse - on balance. Sure there is some mass produced dross out there, but the market has demanded that, no?

now, digital distribution - that’s a whole other matter. I think the internet has disrupted the market of selling music more than digital recording tech has disrupted the creation process. And not necessarily for the better, either - from the artists perspective. On the other hand, selling art had become more democratic or less centralized - in a world where there’s only so much $$$ in a market for music, spreading out the wealth certainly dilutes things.

Forum Member

I don't like he idea that people including myself download free music it definitely hurts the artist and that a shame.
    A lot of the time when you go to a live concert the band sucks live because the recordings for sale have been so adjusted that it just not the same.
    I do understand the engineer has to adjust for room or outside acoustics but I just don't see myself buying a recording 30 years from now because of how great it is like you still see the albums of yesteryear being sold today. I am really trying to keep an open mind to the new music but I just don't get it. I guess I am just to old. Seems like people just mix rhyming words over a great classic song

I will admit that in the past, I have pirated music. Before I realized what it was I was doing. And it wasn't because of Lars vs. Napster! I've bought a ton of digital music in the last decade or so. More music than I had bought in all the decades before that! I'm guessing a good chunk goes to the platform (I tend to use iTunes). I'm not a music streamer, so no Spotify or whatever for me.

Anyways, as far as new music that is not soulless, I wonder if you're looking hard enough. Here's two examples - of my two latest favourite bands - where the music is anything but soulless - produced and distributed digitally. I've bought all of these bands albums online (iTunes). I've also seen one of those bands live twice in the last couple of years. These videos were produced and distributed digitally. Doesn't take away from the soul in any ways, IMO.

Here's the other video....forum limits one video per post.

All playback is analog. Until they build a digital speaker or digital acoustic instruments the human aural interface to the music will be analog.

Tube amps were the rage for decades because they simulated poor digital by clipping the signal by overdriving the tubes. People called that "tone", lol!
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim