Thread: Classic Rock Web Station--Thumbs Up!

Classic Rock Web Station--Thumbs Up!

I'll have to listen to Birch Street Radio more to form a real opinion of it, but I found this when I was trying to find a station that also played new stuff by the old guys.

This station plays an eclectic mix of music. So far, I've really been enjoying it. I've heard a lot of tunes that I've never heard before. And so far, no Billy Squire or Loverboy or any of the other rot they play on classic rock radio.

https://www.birchstreetradio.com/201...ssic-rock.html
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Classic Rock Web Station--Thumbs Up!

not bad so far, but I wish they had a previously played window so you can look up what that great song you heard was that you didn't get to read the name because you were away from the keyboard/monitor
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

What's wrong with "rot". And don't forget, that same era which gave us Loverboy and Billy Squire also championed such great acts as Montrose, Triumph, Thin Lizzy, Pat Travers, West, Bruce & Laing, The Cars, ZZ Top, Kansas, Styx, Dave Mason, and hundreds of other now-classic bands.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    What's wrong with "rot". And don't forget, that same era which gave us Loverboy and Billy Squire also championed such great acts as Montrose, Triumph, Thin Lizzy, Pat Travers, West, Bruce & Laing, The Cars, ZZ Top, Kansas, Styx, Dave Mason, and hundreds of other now-classic bands.
    You're right. I think that radio leans too hard on the worst of these and neglects a lot of good stuff in the process. I mean, it's wonderful to hear ZZ Top but not when it's Give Me All Your Lovin' and Legs' all day long. I'm just burned out on most of that stuff. I never liked Loverboy and Billy Squire--there was much better music on the radio at that time, but contemporary radio makes it seem that they're more important than they actually were.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Thanks! I'll check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    You're right. I think that radio leans too hard on the worst of these and neglects a lot of good stuff in the process. I mean, it's wonderful to hear ZZ Top but not when it's Give Me All Your Lovin' and Legs' all day long. I'm just burned out on most of that stuff. I never liked Loverboy and Billy Squire--there was much better music on the radio at that time, but contemporary radio makes it seem that they're more important than they actually were.
    This has been my complaint with "classic rock" radio. Their playlists make it seem like there were only 200 songs that rate as "classic." For example, the only song they play by Ten Years After (eight top 40 albums in the UK) is the (IMO, awful) "I'd Love to Change the World," when the band made their mark with the nine minute "I'm Goin' Home" at Woodstock, "Love Like a Man," and original blues numbers penned by Alvin Lee. And where is Jeff Beck? Robin Trower? Vanilla Fudge? Frank Zappa? The Who?

I swear, if I never hear "Stairway to Heaven," "The Joker" or "Free Bird" again, it will be too soon.

A few years ago I took a vacation to Kauai. I took an iPod loaded with music, since I didn't think I'd find anything on the radio. Much to my surprise, on the drive in from the airport, I found a station calling itself Shaka 103. There were only two DJs, working six hour shifts, and then the evening was a syndicated program that also dug deeper into rock history. I never touched my iPod while I was there! Sadly, its format changed a couple of years ago, and they started adding more of the fluff stuff that I try to avoid.

+1

Hey, if you guys are classic rock aficionados - check these guys out.

https://classicrockalbumbyalbum.libsyn.com

Chris and Lee take an album and dissect it from a musical, personnel, instrumental, production, historical, tangential and general interest perspective. They dive really deep.

Full disclosure - both of the hosts are friends of mine and I've played in bands with them off and on for 35 years. These podcasts are a spinoff of what would be a normal Friday night bull session in our circle. Prior to pandemic stay at home, I was having trouble digesting 2 hours worth of a single show. But now with extra time of my hands and nowhere to go, it's a lot easier!

They've released episodes on Queen, AC/DC, Billy Squier and Journey but also to address Willie's complaint of what constitutes "classic rock", they've done a whole lot more than that incl. some relatively recent stuff. It's challenging this notion of what "classic" is (or isn't) that is the philosophical basis of this show.

Heads up though, if you're a Zeppelin fan, you might not like their assessment of LZ I!!!

I believe Montrose, Zappa and Toto are being considered for future episodes.

That looks interesting, Dirtdog. I'll check those out if I have some free time today.

DD - they diss the Zep? Nope, sorry, ain't going to give them the time of day

I tried that webstation and I was enjoying it, when it suddenly cut out, maybe it was the end of the song, IDK, wasn't familiar with the tune but was digging it. I reloaded the browser and it happened again this time in the middle of a classic tune. Eh, maybe that's the nature of webstations but it is insufficient to keep my attention. I don't do ads or interruptions.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"