Thread: Welcome to the Third Sunday in May

Welcome to the Third Sunday in May

Well, here it is, the third Sunday of May and it is cold, windy, and raining forcing us to cancel our Sunday garage gig to lift the spirits of us locked down victims of Covid-19. Every other Sunday we get together and play a bit for whoever parks on the street and listens to us. Oh well, maybe next week.

Re: Welcome to the Third Sunday in May

The weather is pretty nice today. Just cloudy enough that I won't mind staying in to paint the bathroom today. I'm off this week and would like to get that job out of the way.

BTW, the DOD 250 Overdrive Preamp and 201 Phasor are both on sale for $44.99 right now on the Digitech and Harmon Audio websites. I've had both of them, liked both of them, sold both of them and just re-bought both of them (). The 250 is a nice boost and decent overdrive and the 201 is a straight forward phaser.

I'm so grateful for this beautiful day we're having. It's paradise on my deck. Coffee, cigs, my buddies Keevo dog and Luna cat hanging out with me. And I'm listening to a 1940s playlist on Spotify. Great stuff for a Sunday morning.

I got my Tube Screamer TS808 in yesterday and couldn't get enough of the sound. Cannot understand why I didn't have one of these decades ago. It would have been perfect for several bands I've been in.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Sorry about your busted gig, Laker. I've taken to sitting on my front porch playing acoustic for anyone who happens to pass by. Today isn't as nice as it's been the past couple of days, so I'll likely stay in and work on some new songs ("Key to the Highway" is calling me...). I have a full week of work ahead of me, so I'm going to do the best I can to take advantage of this "day of rest."

My daughter allowed my granddaughter to have a Facebook Messenger account, so last night we had ourselves a nice little video chat! It's not as good as being there, but it's better than nothing.

Be well, everyone. There is light at the end of the tunnel. Wash your hands!

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Sorry about your busted gig, Laker. I've taken to sitting on my front porch playing acoustic for anyone who happens to pass by. Today isn't as nice as it's been the past couple of days, so I'll likely stay in and work on some new songs ("Key to the Highway" is calling me...).
    Be well, everyone. There is light at the end of the tunnel. Wash your hands!
    We were actually interviewed by a local television station about our garage gigs to entertain our friends and neighbors (and Facebook friends). It hasn’t been broadcast yet so, who knows, it may never be seen.

thanks for the heads up, Don. I already have a DOD 250 but I can use another phasor.

Grey here as well. I originally was going to try to make up yesterday's lack of walking and get a leg up over the next couple days of rain forecasted but this morning it is now showing that it won't rain Mon and Tues. I've been slacking and need to get going on the light wiring project that is preventing me from loading the bookcases and unpacking the amps, as well as loading the bureau drawers with clothing. A lengthy rainy break was going to motivate me to do that.

Ugh, just remembered the clothes in the dryer at the old house. We still slip over there and use the washing machines and I shouldn't count on no viewings. Sometimes we only get 90 minutes heads up. Frankly I'm not looking forward to the idea of having to share machines with all the other residents who may or may not be taking precautions. Hopefully only 8 more months before we get into a single family/duplex/condex type of building and have our own machines again.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Second day in a row of sunny warm tshirt weather here in TDN.

landscaping projects yesterday and today. Just downed tools for the day so I can enjoy the weather a bit. Will hit the road on the motorcycle later. Tomorrow is a stat holiday and supposed to be cool and rainy. Will be a good day for music!

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdog View Post
    Second day in a row of sunny warm tshirt weather here in TDN.

landscaping projects yesterday and today. Just downed tools for the day so I can enjoy the weather a bit. Will hit the road on the motorcycle later. Tomorrow is a stat holiday and supposed to be cool and rainy. Will be a good day for music!
    So dirtdog, this is you?

Duplicate

Yeah, that’s me - about 10 years ago! That was my CS ‘64 Relic Jazz. What a great bass.

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    So dirtdog, this is you?

Damn, dirtdog. You look like one real rock and roller dude! I love seeing pictures of each other. It's always interesting to see the reality after you've already formed a vague thought of how you think they look. So cool to see you; totally different from what I expected. Very R&R.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Damn, dirtdog. You look like one real rock and roller dude! I love seeing pictures of each other. It's always interesting to see the reality after you've already formed a vague thought of how you think they look. So cool to see you; totally different from what I expected. Very R&R.
    haha- thanks man! That gig was from an era when I was the frontman of that band! We would have been playing a lot of stuff like Petty, ZZ Top, Stones and tinkering with some bro country stuff. this was just before we made the decision to go full-on country! Our guitar player just wasn’t a rocker but he could chicken pick a Tele with the best of them.

That shirt I’m wearing was the guitar player (and drummer’s) Dad’s shirt. He was a local country music hall of fame guy and thought I was underdressed in my black t-shirt. So he took that shirt off his back and told me to wear it! Can’t argue with a hall of famer - even a local one! That night kickstarted my Scully shirt collection!

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Here's video sample of the next version of that band (less one guitar player, added keys - just before I passed the frontman hat to a way better singer). It was me, the guitarist and the drummer (they're brothers) for the better part of ten years with a rotation of other players in and out as things morphed from classic/southern rock to full-on country.

The frontman schtick was always meant to be a temporary fix. Started off with me singing during band practice just to keep things moving forward as we were having trouble finding a suitable frontman who could commit. One thing led to another and I was fronting the band - that lasted a good 5-6 years with a year off due to a hand injury. I really like doing it, I even did a couple of gigs without playing bass - we had a sub bassist due to my hand injury. That was weird. Then we moved into backing other singers/frontmen - a few different guys up front and the band has been killing it. I retired from active gigging two years ago, though.

And here's that next version of the band - that stayed stable for a good two/three years with young Reid on vox/acoustic. That era was a LOT of fun - too much fun sometimes!