Thread: Rock band posters, concerts and band

Rock band posters, concerts and band

I've long noticed that many people have some cool posters in their music rooms/areas when they post pictures of their guitars. My walls are and have been unadorned for many a long year. I did used to have simple paper posters in my bedroom as an adolescent, many of the black light variety as was common in the early '70s. None have survived.

I was reading about the Who's legendary Live At Leeds recordings from 1970. They had recorded the entire tour the previous year when they were doing Tommy. Being a busy rock band they found they didn't have time to wade through all those tapes so Pete told their sound guy to burn them all and they set up two shows only to record a live album, Leeds and Hull. The rest is history. I have two versions of LAL, the original and the expanded. It remains my favorite live album, slightly edging The Allman Brothers' Live At Fillmore East.

There was a shill for a 50th anniversary poster commemorating LAL, a metallic ink and a glow in the dark version. I'm a sucker for glow in the dark stuff. Which was a good thing because the metallic ink version was sold out. I almost went with the framed version but two things, I may not put the poster up in the apartment and I can surely get it framed for a lot less than 100 dollars locally, besides the hazards of attempting to have a glass framed poster shipped.

Let me see if I can find an image of the poster

other prints I want are the iconic Abbey Road picture and the beautiful Pink Floyd swimming pool ladies.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Re: Rock band posters, concerts and band

Wow, does this bring back memories! When I attended college in Munich in the 1970s, poster art was THE big thing (Europeans put posters everywhere!). I have a small collection, but I've never had any of the concert posters framed (I do have hanging the 1972 Munich Olympics poster). They are currently in several rolled-up bundles in a couple of the steamer trunks I have from that era (I'm a bit of a hoarder).

Edited to add: A lot of 60s and 70s era posters can be had from Wolfgang's.

Re: Rock band posters, concerts and band

Dan, Live at Leeds is my favorite Who album. Townshend's SG and Matchless amp (I think) are perfect; I'd love to get that sound if I were playing live.

I've got a large poster of a Johnny Cash concert I went to in Bayreuth, Germany. I got to meet him and what a kind and giving man he was. I have it framed in my living room--along with a 1968 ticket to one of his TV show tapings. I told him about going to see him then, and he was really happy to hear that.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison