Thread: Contemporary Music Doing Intersting Things with Guitars

Contemporary Music Doing Intersting Things with Guitars

A lot of the music I'm listening to isn't really the stuff we ever discuss here, groups like The Shins, Modest Mouse, or The Pixies.

Of course there are elements of the blues and 60s and 70s rock in the guitar playing, but the approach is still a lot different from blues based rock.

People overlook the stuff sometimes because the guitar playing is not always complex. But if you listen to the way they're writing songs with the guitar and how they play, it's fascinating. There's a lot more complexity and accomplishment that might be easy to ignore.

I'm going to sit down with a few of these records and learn some licks that I've never played before, figure out some guitar parts and try to understand how that style works in composition.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Contemporary Music Doing Intersting Things with Guitars

I do a LOT of listening to music on the other side of the spectrum. There are guitar players doing things that aren't "mainstream" rock, blues, jazz, chunk, etc. David Helpling, Eric Wřllo, Jeff Pearce, Robin Guthrie, Harold Budd, and so on. I subscribe to a couple of streaming/podcast services that feature this kind of music. In fact, for the past couple of years, I listen Sunday night to "Night Tides," a live program online from KCUR-FM in Kansas City. The program is then available on demand for the entire following week on their web site: https://www.kcur.org/show/night-tides#stream/0

Nice, OS. I'll give that a listen.

I think you've mentioned Patrick O'Hearn? Am I remembering that correctly? I like the way he uses the guitar in his atmospheric stuff.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Nice, OS. I'll give that a listen.

I think you've mentioned Patrick O'Hearn? Am I remembering that correctly? I like the way he uses the guitar in his atmospheric stuff.
    Yep, Patrick O'Hearn is on my top five list. I find he and David Helpling have the same musical DNA. O'Hearn is a multi-instrumentalist who once played with Frank Zappa before heading out on his own.

I listen to two Pandora channels, one for each!

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Yep, Patrick O'Hearn is on my top five list. I find he and David Helpling have the same musical DNA. O'Hearn is a multi-instrumentalist who once played with Frank Zappa before heading out on his own.

I listen to two Pandora channels, one for each!
    I've got one O'Hearn CD and really enjoy it when I play it, which I do every few years. He's an interesting composer.