Thread: Bass Fx--Do you Ever Use them for Your Guitar?

Bass Fx--Do you Ever Use them for Your Guitar?

I have an OD on my bass pedalboard that was sold as a guitar pedal, and it's great, but I seldom use it since the Ampeg V4B has OD controls on it.

I've got a Boss Bass Chorus that I never want to use on bass. Does the job well, but outside of my Octo Comp and my tuner, I want no other pedal.

I read up a little on the differences between the guitar and bass choruses. The bass chorus differs because it's wired to affect the higher frequencies of the bass. I'm curious as to how it will sound with the guitar.

Have you ever used your bass pedals for your guitar? Did it work for you?
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Bass Fx--Do you Ever Use them for Your Guitar?

the best way to find out how it works is to plug it in and see.
    There's nothing you can do that will hurt the effect or your amp.
    Some effects may work better than others, depending on how they're tuned to effect (affect) the lower frequencies of the bass, but considering it's just an octave lower,
    it shouldn't be too bad - there's plenty of overlap on a guitar and bass.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

when I finally get a bass in working condition, I'm going to use all my OD boxes on it, I've got a Phase 90 I want to try with it, and my compressors. I will be going on a rampage, Gigabytes of bass recordings.

then I'll erase it all and start over again.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

I used an SGX Nightbass preamp for a bit that had all kinds of effects built into it but after found that stuff just doesn’t fit in my style of playing. I switched to a Kern IP-777 preamp for a bit but have been using an Aguilar DB680 for the last or so twenty years. This is the Nightbass Unit.

I've never really wanted to add fx to the bass. I bought the chorus because I was playing in a band doing a Journey song on which Ross Valery used a chorus.

I only need a compressor on the bass, and for knocking around, I don't need that. While I am not against using bass fx, I'd rather just plug in and play.

Not so with guitar. I like pedals when I record if the song calls for it. I'm writing some things right now where I'm trying out the guitar for backing atmosphere. Hard to explain what I'm going after.

But I love the sound of my bass straight into the amp. Anchors everything else in the song.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Light compression and overdrive - sometimes, depending on the song.

I'm doing some remote recording collaboration with a buddy of mine - he's got my bass amp at his house and I haven't been able to get up there to retrieve it since COVID lockdown.

So, I've been using a cobbled-together bass patch on my Line6 AmplifiTT desktop unit. It's...OK. Really missing my amp - and I can use it just as a preamp (Amp PF500). Been thinking of grabbing an Amp SCR-DI for home practice, remote recording stuff to get the tone I know and love. It's got onboard overdrive.