Thread: 1966 Jaguar: Missing serial - HELP!

1966 Jaguar: Missing serial - HELP!

Hello everyone,

my grandpa left me a beautiful 1966 Jaguar when he died a couple of years ago. Awesome guitar, but I'm not really familiar with Jaguars as I'm actually a Strat player. After some research lately I found out that the serial number is missing. Usually it seems to be stamped on the neck plate. Unfortunately, this seems to be the only non-original part of the Jaguar. The original neck plate was replaced with a gold plate. Does anyone have any idea if there is another way to find out the serial number? Enclosed I send you some pictures of the guitar.

I would be very very happy if you could help me further.
    Thanks in advance!

Many greetings
    Marian

Pictures here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ktm6y4wz4...V4VC1OIta?dl=0

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: 1966 Jaguar: Missing serial - HELP!

If the original serialized neck plate is missing or lost, you are SOL.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Quote Originally Posted by KennyF View Post
    Does it really matter? It was your grandfather's guitar, and that's all you really need to know...
    I must admit that as beautiful as the guitar is, I have to sell it, because I'm short on money at the moment.. And probably not having the serial number is a significant loss of value or what do you think?

As I've gotten older, I pay little or no attention to a guitar's serial number. Two exceptions: my 2006 60th Anniversary Telecaster, which is #531 of 1000. The other is the handmade nylon string classical guitar, which is #7. I only know this because the builder contacted me after I'd posted about it and told me.

What I look for in a guitar is playability and appearance. I can't play a serial number. A serial number only proves one thing: It was made in a specific year. And that by itself doesn't guarantee that it's a good playing, attractive instrument.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Removing or defacing a manufacturer's serial number is a crime in most states (a felony in fact in both Azizona and California). Loss of provenance will not only diminish the instrument's value -- it could get you arrested without some credible explanation should some zealot seize upon the situation and choose to exploit it.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

I am generally ignorant of the history of models, so I have a pedestrian question. Is there anything marked in the neck pocket that would indicate anything helpful?
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I am generally ignorant of the history of models, so I have a pedestrian question. Is there anything marked in the neck pocket that would indicate anything helpful?
    I believe sometimes you can also get identifying information in a pickup cavity. This is where Ed Roman put his info.

Correct, there are more than one way to prove provenance. Pickups, pots, screws, stamps in the cavities, etc.

As far as removing the serialized neckplate causing you legal liability - I'm no lawyer so take this with a grain of salt- but seems to me unless you did it yourself and someone could prove it - you need not worry.

"Possession of a Guitar With a Missing Serial Number" with no intent to defraud, seems pretty far down the spectrum to me, LOL!

It's not like it's an assault weapon that was used in a felony.

Besides, when the day is done the guitar is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. It is what it is.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim