Thread: Happy Mother's Day to All of Us Whose Mothers Are Gone

Happy Mother's Day to All of Us Whose Mothers Are Gone

Seriously, I hope everyone is taking comfort in the memories of their mothers. I know I'm so grateful for my Mother and so glad that she lived and was in good health for over 85 years.

I miss my mother everyday, but today I've decided to walk around the neighborhood and sniff for good food cooking. Then, I'm going inside and tell them all the adoption agency had given me their mother's name. Then I'll sit down and hopefully eat a plate before they gather their senses and throw me out or just shoot me.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Happy Mother's Day to All of Us Whose Mothers Are Gone

I can understand the feeling, Willie.

I am fortunate enough to have my parents alive and, say, well regarding their age. But I've lost most of my other family and I miss them every single day.

Interesting, I miss my grandmothers and my grandfather on my mom's side the most, but I also have a deep feeling for some relatives that I never really got to know, as they passed away before I was born.

The stories told by my parents and uncles, the objects they left behind and are still with us, the photographs of them alongside the family I actually got to know... All this contributes for me missing them, I guess.

Anyway, yes: may this Mother's day be a spot in time for soothing and good memories of those who gave us their love but couldn't stay too long.

Thanks, Sergio. I was so very fortunate as a kid. My grandparents and their siblings were born in the late 1800s and were old when I was a kid. But I heard the stories of their youths, and my Mom was great about keeping the stories alive. They were country people who had carved their livings out of the land, some of them becoming professional men and women, others like my grandparents, staying on the farm. The wealth of stories I got was beyond all. I'm so lucky.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

My mom passed away in 1980. She never saw my daughter, or even my older sister's daughter, who was born before mine. I was 29.

Yet it's funny, I am reminded of her frequently. In a saying, a word, a mannerism, or a memory. I've quoted her here, for example. She would chasten me when, as a child I would get angry and would declare that I would never do this or never do that. "Never is a very, very long time." As I've gotten older, I've learned she was indeed, correct: "never" is truly a very, very long time!

I also marvel that this woman, who came from genteel New England stock, incorporated words and phrases she picked up from traveling the world with my dad and family. A light snack was a "nosh." Something small was "kicsi" (pronounced "ki-chee") or "nit-noi." My dad was the linguist, but I don't remember any idioms he would use. Funny.

I'm glad you have good memories of your mother, OS.

My brother, sister, and I talk all the time about how lucky we were to have a Mother who worked so hard and loved us so much, sacrificed for us and loved us up til the end. We never had to wonder if she and Dad loved us. Neither of them took drugs or were drunks. They loved us and did what it took to take care of us. We lost her last April, and I miss her every day, but I am so grateful that I got to love her and that she loved me.

My mom died in 2012 at 92 and lived a good, if not hard, life. When she met my dad she won the lottery, because he really built a good life for all of us. They raised my brother and I to understand that by adopting us, they chose us to love and care for - what a privilege. As I've mentioned here before, I recently found my birth-mom in the past year and called her on mother's day yesterday. It was a pretty cool feeling.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

My wife and I stopped by my mother's home and spent a little time with her. With the number of Covid-19 cases rising in our area we try to maintain a safe distance from her and make sure we wipe down everything we touch. She will be 101 years old this year and I don't want the virus to be an end to her life.

101! God bless her! I'm glad you are able to spend time with her, and that you're so considerate of her health!