Thread: R.I.P. Little Richard

R.I.P. Little Richard

Richard Wayne Penniman, better known as Little Richard, passed away this morning.
    The celestial band has a new frontman.
    He'll be back with his former guitarist, Jimi Hendrix. Hoping the disagreements are passed.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...rd-dead-48505/
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

Re: R.I.P. Little Richard

A sad day, and it's my birthday too.

Little Richard. Man, he was the greatest at what he did. Many imitators, none as good. Extraordinary, unapologetic brilliance and energy from a black man who said screw being silent unobtrusive and let his personality proudly shine.

Even before I discovered my love for The Beatles, Little Richard fired up my 11 year old brain and gave me the rock and roll bug. He was in a concert film with other 50s stars--a 1972 or 73 film called Let the Good Times Roll--Chuck Berry, Fats Domino, and Sha Na Na (I think) among others.

I bought the 8 track tape soundtrack the next day and listened over and over to Little Richard. In the film, he had rocked so hard, jumping all over that piano, at one point taking off his boots and throwing them into the audience. Meanwhile, that voice and energy wop bop'd while his hands bounced over the keyboard.

RIP, Little Richard. Probably, my favorite of all the early rock heroes.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

RIP

R. I. P. To paraphrase another thread here, we're going to see more and more of the icons of our youth passing away.

Forum Member

In the 50's we lived in southern Maryland. An older cousin was an aspiring musician, and had found a connection to a guy the loaded the juke boxes. He realized that most of the "rock" hits were out first on "race" records, so he would learn the tunes he liked. When they came out by "acceptable" artists, he already knew the tune. He would pass on the "race" records to me, and it was "Tuti Fruiti" that caused my wicked stepmother to take my record player, and break all my cool records!
    I left Maryland in the early 60's, but they still weren't playing black folks on the radio!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    In the 50's we lived in southern Maryland. An older cousin was an aspiring musician, and had found a connection to a guy the loaded the juke boxes. He realized that most of the "rock" hits were out first on "race" records, so he would learn the tunes he liked. When they came out by "acceptable" artists, he already knew the tune. He would pass on the "race" records to me, and it was "Tuti Fruiti" that caused my wicked stepmother to take my record player, and break all my cool records!
    I left Maryland in the early 60's, but they still weren't playing black folks on the radio!
    Bill, it's amazing what musicians like Little Richard, Louis Armstrong, and every other black star did under the circumstances. Louis would play a packed house in a city but couldn't find a hotel that would accept him--when he played i Paris, they put him up in the Ritz. Although certainly not free of racism, Europe didn't have the same problems with race that Southerners (and Americans from all over the country) did. Little Richard was a huge star to them, not one of those "negro" singers who were best left to black audiences. Now that LR has passed, look at the sincere reverence and deep respect with which folks like McCartney, Jagger, and other Brit stars have shown in their tributes to him. It's pure admiration and gratefulness for LR's unique style and great contribution to music.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison