Thread: Tube Screamer TS808?

Tube Screamer TS808?

Anyone use one of these? That's supposed to be the version of OD found onboard my Tube Screamer amp. If the pedal sounds as good as the overdrive on the amp, damn! I was playing my Les Paul through it, and I'll be porked by rhino, it was the best sounding OD I've ever played through.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: Tube Screamer TS808?

Many of us have been using the Tube Screamer since the 1970's.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

I've wanted one for a while but hadn't played through one. A buddy of mine plays an MIM Strat with a couple of them in his pedal chain. He gets the most fantastic tone.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

TFF Stage Crew

I've been using them since 1982, & I don't think I've ever paid more than $50 for one. Mostly $30 - $35. Last one I bought was a like-new reissue for $20. I put a chip socket in it, installed a 4558 chip, & away we go. Sounds indistinguishable from my original

Well, I ordered one. Sweetwater is out of stock at the moment, and it might take a while. I'm in no rush. If it gets close to what I'm hearing in that little amp, I'll be a pretty happy guy.

TFF Stage Crew

I think you might dig it. It's nothing fancy, that's for sure. But they're common as flies for a reason! It's a fun & easy pedal imo

TFF Stage Crew

Just for clarity, I'm talking about the TS-9. I've used an 808 but as far as the sound goes they sounded the same to me

here's a pretty good article about those

https://guitar.com/review/effects-pe...on-od808-od-9/

I have a Maxon 808 OD reissue and a TS-9 reissue. Both are quite good at what they do. I paid a bit more than 50 dollars for both because they were brand new
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

You know, the SRV connection isn't one of the reasons I like the pedal. Sacrilege, I know, but I'm not a big fan of Stevie's tone. The ones I've heard weren't used to get Stevie's tones. I'm sure I'll be able to tweak the pedal and get it to sound somewhere in the vicinity of his sound. Just not what I want the pedal for.
    Last edited by ch willie; 05-09-2020 at 09:09 AM.

I was into the Tubescreamer long before I ever even heard of SRV
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

I've had an on and off relationship with the Tube Screamer since buying my first in 1983 used for $15. The SRV association with the pedal was not well known at that time. I just thought of it as necessary evil back then- I couldn't crank my Fender amp loud enough to get that dirty. I sold that pedal for a heck of a lot more than I paid for it when BYOC first started selling a clone of it in kit form.

There have been some occasions where I loved the pedal and got tones that might even be called "Dumble like" by some. Most of the time, it just sounded overly compressed and muddy to me. The problem is that, for the TS to work well, the amp still has to be cranked up. My goal was to be able to switch from clean amp sound to a dirty amp sound. I was happier with a Rat with the distortion set low- around 9:00. Then I played a Prince of Tone and my opinion of overdrives changed. It turns out that I was always looking for a less compressed sound. More the sound of my amp cranked up.

It's still good to keep a TS type pedal around (I don't have one at the moment ). I prefer the Boss SD9. It's a little brighter and less compressed than a TS, while still being a similar sound (more compressed than the PoT/KoT).

I have been crqving for a TS-9 lately.

My main overdrive pedal is the EHX Soul Food, which is essentially a Klon Centaur clone. I wonder what are the tonal differences between that and the Ibanez TS

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    I have been crqving for a TS-9 lately.

My main overdrive pedal is the EHX Soul Food, which is essentially a Klon Centaur clone. I wonder what are the tonal differences between that and the Ibanez TS
    I've had a TS-9 for a long time, and I just got a Soul Food.
    It's a pretty dramatic difference actually. The TS9 seems a lot deeper voiced, to me. I need to keep the tone know most of the way up to keep the sound more or less uniform when kicking it on and off.
    Also, the TS-9 has less gain available to it than the SF.
    I have 3 distortion / OD boxes, with the amp usally set clean, at least for the times I use the board - I have a few amps I go right in.
    I keep the TS as a mild grit on my board, a Bixonic Expandora for medium gain / overdrive, and an old Rat as my high gain distortion. Right now I have the SF replacing the Bixonic, though that may change when I get more time to sit and play for a long stretch of time. I may put the Boxonic back on the board and leave the SF as a free-floating box, for whenever, or whatever amp.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

Got it. Played the Ric 330 and the Les Paul through it.

It deserves its reputation. I don't know why I didn't get one of these years ago.

I expected the Les Paul to be a good match with it, but the way the Ric sounds with it was a surprise, balls out rock and roll.

TFF Stage Crew

I'm not surprised. Keep messing with the knobs, though, especially with the Les Paul. One of the reasons for the wild popularity of the 808/TS-9 is that it sounds great across many platforms.

Will do, Cogs.

I haven't played it through the Deluxe yet. It was so good with the Vox that I couldn't stop. I'll get some time with it later today. I'm most curious about how the Strat will sound both through the Deluxe and the Vox. After chores!

I just got myself a deal on a TS-808. Will be getting it tomorrow.

Here it is:

I’ll write a review as soon as I try it.
    Last edited by S. Cane; 07-31-2020 at 06:15 PM.

Here's my review: yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssss.

Since commenting here in May I've purchased a used Fulldrive 1. I generally prefer the King of Tone and Prince of Tone, but the Tube Screamer style circuit is great for when I want to fatten the sound. It's great with a Strat and cranked black face Fender amp.

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Since commenting here in May I've purchased a used Fulldrive 1. I generally prefer the King of Tone and Prince of Tone, but the Tube Screamer style circuit is great for when I want to fatten the sound. It's great with a Strat and cranked black face Fender amp.
    You're absolutely right, Don. It's perfect for that combination.