Thread: Not A Telecaster, Exactly...

Not A Telecaster, Exactly...

I'm on a Telecaster kick. GAS is rising, and since I have more Strats than Teles, I'm thinking of evening the score.

In another thread, which I can't find right now, I was bemoaning the lack of ebony fretboards on Fender guitars. I have an ebony fretboard on my old 12-string, and it's been lovely for 48 years! So, why not an electric?

Sadly, the only Fender I can find so equipped is a horribly ugly 2016 American Elite Stratocaster, and the ebony is the "streaked" type, which just makes an ugly guitar even uglier (heresy for calling a Strat ugly?). Oh, they have a Tele that's the same ugly color with the same ugly neck. No, thanks.

Having done a lot of reading and a lot of web surfing (coronavirus lockdown, anyone?), I came across this. It's a Tele body, but made by Charvel. I recall reading that the entire Charvel family lost their homes in the Paradise Fire of 2018, and Wayne Charvel's workshop was obliterated. So, it's American made, has an ebony fretboard, and looks pretty cool, too.

Even though it's priced lower than I would have expected, I'm not quite ready to plunk down my bucks for it. As I understand it, it's designed for playing heavy metal (in fact, it's a Joe Duplantier/Gojira signature model), and that's only about 180° from what I play.

I do like the ebony neck, though.

Re: Not A Telecaster, Exactly...

It's pretty cool, though
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

This one IS a Telecaster. Not my first choice of color, but the fingerboard looks nice. It's an Elite (2017), with the 4th generation Noiseless pups, 9.5"-14" compound radius fretboard, and a [[shudder]] belly cut. It includes a TSA case and all the case candy. The seller is throwing in a new Elite Mint pickguard, and a Franklin brown suede strap with strap locks. I've put it on my watch list.

OS, have you played one with the Noiseless Pickups? I had some in my Tele a few years ago and found them synthetic sounding. I had them in a Strat and felt the same way. Granted, this was five or six years ago, and they might have made improvements. I don't know how Clapton gets them to sound so good. I wanted to like them. Thought I would
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Willie, I have Noiseless pups in my EC Strat (although I can't get them to sound like Clapton -- but that's me and not the pickups!)

Can you describe what you mean by "synthetic sounding?"

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Willie, I have Noiseless pups in my EC Strat (although I can't get them to sound like Clapton -- but that's me and not the pickups!)

Can you describe what you mean by "synthetic sounding?"
    OS, I don't know how to describe it other than it sounded like a vintage Strat pup to a degree but had something which didn't sound "natural" to a Strat.

My best friend has one of the newer Clapton Strats. He tried to get along with the Noiseless but felt the same way about them that I did. He pulled the Noiseless out of that Strat and put in Fat 50s. He's never been happier. He has one of the more expensive Clapton sig guitars, and he says it's the best feeling guitar he's ever played and now really sounds great to him.

But pups are a personal choice. Someone else might really love those Noiseless pups and get along with them. Apparently, a lot of people like them just fine.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Also not a Tele. Technically. But it *is* a Leo Fender design -- a NOS 2016 G&L ASAT Classic, with a Heritage '86 Neck, ebony fingerboard, matching headstock and a pair of single-coil Magnetic Field Design™ pickups. And the price is reduced 43%...

I like that. cool bridge saddles.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

That's a beauty of a G&L. I'm not a big fan of perloid pickguards, but shoot, I'd put a mint green or parchment pickguard on it and be vurrrry happy. A matter of subjective taste, not a judgement on the beauty of that guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    That's a beauty of a G&L. I'm not a big fan of perloid pickguards, but shoot, I'd put a mint green or parchment pickguard on it and be vurrrry happy. A matter of subjective taste, not a judgement on the beauty of that guitar.
    One man's meat is another man's poison, they say. I'm not a fan of mint pickguards (my Stratocaster XII has one).

One man's meat is another man's poison, they say. I'm not a fan of mint pickguards (my Stratocaster XII has one).
    I shouldn't even have said that. It's a beautiful guitar, and the pickguard looks fine.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I shouldn't even have said that. It's a beautiful guitar, and the pickguard looks fine.
    No, no. You're entitled to your opinion. This place shouldn't be an inhibitor for speaking one's mind.

No, this isn't on my wish list, so don't go there. But dang, this is a fine looking instrument! I already have my '57 ES-225 and my 2016 ES-335, so it would just crowd the field a bit. It does have an ebony fretboard, however...

No, no. You're entitled to your opinion. This place shouldn't be an inhibitor for speaking one's mind.
    I know. But there were so many things good about that guitar that I could have commented on. It really is a great looking guitar.