Thread: Any Difference Between MIM And USA Saddle Alloy?

Any Difference Between MIM And USA Saddle Alloy?

I have a hybrid Strat equipped with an MIM bridge assembly and am wondering if the MIM saddles are different, or inferior, in any way than the so-called American saddles?

I found this from another forum regarding the specs:

The 10.5 mm saddle is for the narrow 2 1/16"" mount width and string width tremolo (MIM Standard).
    Last edited by BGReed2; 05-06-2020 at 11:04 AM.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: Any Difference Between MIM And USA Saddle Alloy?

Your assumption is wrong.

All Fender Strats that feature "vintage spec" string spacing use the 2-7/16" bridge, whether MIA, MIJ, or MIM. Thus, they use the wider steel-alloy string saddle. Only the entry-level instruments from China, Indonesia, Korea, and Malaysia, and most MIM guitars use the narrow-spaced 2-16" "import" bridge.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Thank you for the clarification, I appreciate it.

I did find that there are no Fender replacement "upgrade" saddles available for the MIM Strats, making my original question pointless! Thanks anyway.
    Last edited by BGReed2; 05-06-2020 at 11:33 AM.

Which MIM Strat do you have, and which bridge is fitted?

Forum Member

Callaham have a bridge/string spacing doc to try and make it easier to figure out which of their bridges you need for what type of Fender Strat.

Vintage American fenders, and period correct ones all have the wide bridge screw spacing. All American Strats have the wide screw spacing, a couple of MIM strats also have the wide screw spacing with the narrow modern string spacing. The Deluxe Player and Special are the two MIM's I'm aware of and the MIA Highway One. Otherwise all MIM's have the narrow screws and string spacing.

The image I pasted below shows the different types of Bridges commonly found on Fender guitars and the Callaham equivalents. Found all this stuff out when I built my partscaster last week.

Quote Originally Posted by Antmax View Post
    Vintage American fenders, and period correct ones all have the wide bridge screw spacing. All American Strats have the wide screw spacing, a couple of MIM strats also have the wide screw spacing with the narrow modern string spacing. The Deluxe Player and Special are the two MIM's I'm aware of and the MIA Highway One. Otherwise all MIM's have the narrow screws and string spacing
    The now-discontinued MIM Classic Series Strats ('50s, '60s, '70s) all feature a vintage-style bridge with 2-7/32" string spacing and vintage-spec bridge saddles. However the equivalent MIA trem block will not fit this bridge correctly because the bridge plate's access hole for the trem arm does not line up with the threaded hole in the block. I suspect the situation with Fender's new "Vintera" series is similar.