Thread: Music Books. Got 'Em? Show 'Em.

Music Books. Got 'Em? Show 'Em.

We post pretty much everything here, so I figured why not add our music resources here?

I'm a throwback to an earlier era. Fifty-three years ago I bought my first guitar, an old Sears Kay steel-string acoustic, from my best friend for $10. I doubt a setup could have ever been made on this. The action at the body had to have been 1/2" off the neck. But it was mine, and from it I started to teach myself how to play.

And here are some of the resources I used. I'd buy "fake books" and band books at the local music/record store and play along to the records, teaching myself from the chord diagrams. Tablature had not yet been formalized, to my knowledge (the Robin Trower book has something approaching it, but you'd be hard-pressed to recognize it by today's standards), so it was what I had.

I have more, of course. This is a sampling of the variety available, and some of the music and musicians I followed. Now it's your turn to share!

Re: Music Books. Got 'Em? Show 'Em.

I have a whole shelf of a bookcase full of music books, so how come I don't play a song all the way through?

They're all in boxes in storage. I'm going today to get the bookcases and maybe make another trip to start bringing them here. Suckers are heavy and that's a lot of trips back and forth to the car.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

When I die my daughter is going to have a ball selling my stuff on FleaBay.

"Earl Scruggs and the Five String Banjo" Where else would you learn to gold plate metallic parts?

I remember the first and last music book I bought circa 1980. It was AC/DC and I learned the solo from Shook Me All Night Long. First solo I learned end to end and I can still play it today 40 years later! But it was also then I figured out that I was much more adept at learning by ear, so never bought another music book. Someone gave me a Judas Priest songbook for my birthday shortly after that, but that pretty much collected dust.

I did, however, buy hundreds of magazines over the years and picked up a lot of stuff that way, esp. when magazines included audio tracks on CD or DVD - or even better in the 2000s, a website with audio and video.

Edit: I did buy the Real Book for jazz several years ago - but that was to be able to follow the chord charts while playing bass with an ensemble, not to learn a solo or melody note-for-note.