Thread: Which Player's Style Have You Internalized and Has Become a Part of Your Style?

Which Player's Style Have You Internalized and Has Become a Part of Your Style?

I posted a similar topic about bass players.

I didn't set out to copy any guitarist, but I've internalized the styles of a couple of guitarists, mostly because I've listened so much to the guitars on records. I'm guilty of having incorporated both George Harrison's and David Gilmour's styles. I don't steal their licks, but they've just become a part of how I play.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Which Player's Style Have You Internalized and Has Become a Part of Your Style?

Jeff Beck
    Mark Knopfler
    you would think with all the Deep Purple and Rainbow I've listened to that I'd have internalized Ritchie Blackmore to a greater degree than I think I do
    Joe Perry and Brad Whitford - member of the blue jean army for life
    Eric Clapton
    Jimmy Page
    Mark Farner
    Oh jeez, how could I forget Hendrix and SRV
    Albert King

I'm not saying I sound like any of these guys but their playing and their tones are what I like in guitar and what I'd like to hear coming out of my gear. Not that it ever does.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Re: Which Player's Style Have You Internalized and Has Become a Part of Your Style?

This is different than "which guitar players do you most admire and wish you could play like?" Well, like Dan, here's a list of players who have influenced me, but not any of which I can even sound like:

The Beatles (except Ringo, who I don't believe plays guitar)
    John Cippolina
    Jerry Garcia
    Carlos Santana
    Eric Clapton
    John Mayall (and his many friends)
    Alvin Lee
    B. B. King

I'm in the midst of fighting a network fire right now, otherwise I think I'd come up with more.

dang, totally forgot to put Jerry and Bobby from the Grateful Dead.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Being strictly realistic, I’ve always tried to become someone like Jimmy Page.

I love Zep enough to have tattooed some of their stuff on my right shoulder.

But though I’ve always been a Zep fan and a Dead Head, a true Jerry lover, the guy I’ve always sounded like and soloed like and composed like was Keith Richards.

I’ve always been a cover guitarist and my band covers lots of Stones stuff... but even my own compositions and the way I play covers sound like Keith. The Brit blues basics are always there.

And hey, just like him, I got bad hands. Go figure.

But here I am, playing everything they tell me to, and writing songs, Keith style.

So it’s Keith Richards.

As a bass player there are four that I’ve been known to steal from: James Jamerson, Carol Kaye, Duck Dunn and Rocko Prestia.
    Last edited by Laker; 05-01-2020 at 02:06 AM.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Strictly old-school for me.

(five major influences, in no particular order)

Eric Clapton (Cream era only)
    Leslie West
    Gary Richrath
    Tom Johnston
    Joseph Walsh (James Gang era)
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

I love hearing about everybody's favorite guitarists, but I'm not clear about the question I was asking.

There are a lot of guitarists that have influenced my style, including Clapton, Page, Knopfler, Jeff Beck, Townshend, Carl Perkins, and even though I can't play like them, Django and Eric Johnson.

I've learned their licks, but when I'm playing freely without having to think about what I'm doing, I've internalized Gilmour, Clapton, and Harrison really, whereas the other guitarists' licks are toys in my bag to use when I need them.

Again, I'm not consciously adopting their styles, and I've never set out to be a George Harrison or the other two. It's more that I've listened to them countless hours, more than anyone else's playing. And it just becomes part of who I am as a guitarist without even thinking about it.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Forum Member

BB King Probably.

But I sound more like Ferd Drucker (my old lead player) after a bender.

Eric Clapton and Jimmie Vaughan (and their influences through them).

I've borrowed lots of little bits and pieces from tons of players, from BB King and Les Paul himself, to Malcolm Young, James Hetfield, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler, Clapton, Pete Townsend, Nate Albert (Mighty Mighty Bosstones,) Slash/Stradlin' and easily dozens of others. Including some I don't even realize or even listen to regularly, some may not even be guitarists - maybe a piano, bass, or horn line or lick, or some rhythm pattern.
    It's sometimes hard to pick out what I picked up where, or figured out on my own, but they say that we're a product of our influences.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

You know, in my haste to respond to this post, I left off three very influential guitarists (well, five, actually):

Robin Trower
    David Crosby
    Dewey Bunnell, Dan Peek, Gerry Beckley (known collectively as "America" - Bunnell, was my favorite, but he left the band).

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    You know, in my haste to respond to this post, I left off three very influential guitarists (well, five, actually):

Robin Trower
    David Crosby
    Dewey Bunnell, Dan Peek, Gerry Beckley (known collectively as "America" - Bunnell, was my favorite, but he left the band).
    OS, your post about Dan Peek got me to thinking about a pair of St Louis guitar players that I first heard when I came home from Vietnam in ‘67. Jules Blattner and Billy Peek. In those days both were doing a guitar trio so their abilities were very front and center in the band. Jules, unfortunately, passed away last year but Billy Peek is still playing. I didn’t realize that he was Rod Stewart’s guitar player for quite a few years. If you can find one of his solo releases I think you’ll be interested.