Thread: Steinberger Spirit first impression

Steinberger Spirit first impression

I played the Spirit today for the first time. I got it tuned up with the strobotuner, which works great BTW. I didn't do a thing for a set up, just as it came out of the shipping box. I actually stood up to play because I didn't have an armless chair in my bedroom/music room. I plugged into a series of pedals (comp>OD>another comp) into the Presonus input 2, input 1 was screwing up the last few times I've used it. I may have to send the AI back but that's for another time.

I found out after I was done that I used the neck pickup. Really nice round tone without being muddy. This was a spaghetti toss session, as usually most of mine are. Throw it on the wall and see what sticks.

Is spite of not having done anything in 2 months, I didn't really lose too much in the way of getting it all to work again. Sometimes after an extended break I fiddle around wondering HTF did I do it before?

The short version, this thing is a hoot to play. I need to poke my head under the hood and check the relief, action, intonation. Thanks again to whomever it was that gave us a heads-up about Music Zoo's sale.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Re: Steinberger Spirit first impression

I just took in a friend's Steinberger Spirit 5 string bass to install an EMG active tone control. The bass feels substantial, plays well and sounds good. The fret ends could use dressing, other than that easily repaired item, I like it a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by KennyF View Post
    That was me... Like I said in my original post; the factory setup is almost nonexistent... Here's the link to my setup recommendations; Steinberger GT-PRO Setup Tips

By the way... I think The Music Zoo owes me a pizza, at the very least... He sold 3 of these that week...
    So you're the one! Yes, at least a pizza and maybe a side order of parmesan bread sticks with marinara dipping sauce

going back to your setup tips. You mentioned about trying to set the trem to float. What if you'd rather play the guitar as a stop tail i.e. decked?

"Just move the locking lever to 'LOCK' ... "

?? There's a locking lever?? Well, gah-awwwlleeeee, how about that? *in my best Gomer Pyle*