Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are you driving?

What are you driving?

So, Sergio asked - I'm happy to start!

This was my main squeeze from 2005 until 2016 a 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster. 6 cylinder Mercedes engine and drivetrain - body by Karmann. One of my favorite vehicles of all time!

That was followed by my 2016 Ford Mustang GT. The day we made the switch...

Lots of power and a 6 speed manual made this a fun car to drive!

I also have a 2012 Nissan Frontier for less than perfect weather of less than perfect roads.

Finally, my main squeeze - 2018 Mustang GT this one has an automatic tranny - I didn't think I like it as much as I do. Lots of balls and it is really fast! Also corners better than a Mustang should - the IRS really works!

"We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Re: What are you driving?

2016 Ford F150, 2 wheel drive, but I don't mud.

Also a photo of me when I go full cowboy for a ride through Rednecksville.

I've added a Beatles logo decal and a Pink Floyd decal on the tailgate as a redneck counter.

If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Nice rides!

I don't drive anything fancy. My car is a Mitsubishi Lancer HLT (the last model launched, produced until 2019 in Brazil, which is also probably the last model of the original Lancer to be produced in the world, China still makes the Grand Lancer, but it's a whole different car)...

Here are some actual pics:

Loading her up for a gig trip...

Filling up in the middle of nowhere during a longer road trip...

I bought this car because this model is quite popular as a performance car here in Brazil, having even had its own racing series, the Lancer Cup:

Mine is the "civilian" model, with a higher suspension in order to handle the local roads, 18" alloys, a 2.0 liter engine and CVT transmission, which at first I hated, but after a while I got used to it. It's aerodynamic, light and fast enough to be fun to drive while cruising in road trips and as a daily driver. Of course it isn't an EVO X but still a very cool compact Mitsubishi. It's definitely faster and cooler than a Corolla or a Civic...

14 year old Lexus RX330, it was my dad's last car he bought in 2006, same year he died. I inherited it when my 1999 Subaru engine blew up. It will probably be my last car if it lasts until 2023 when I'm due to try to renew my license. The way my vision is I'm not entirely sure that will be a given and it won't surprise me if they say "sorry but no".
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

I think we did this once before, but we're all housebound right now, so what the heck?

My "garage queen." After I bought my little electric, I didn't realize it would become my daily driver. The good news is that this is now VERY low mileage (2014 E350 Coupe 4Matic).

The little guy. A 2015 smart fortwo Electric Drive. 100% electric. I plug it in (I have the 240v charger) and go when and where I want. As long as it's not farther than about 70 miles. Round trip.

TFF Stage Crew

2019 F-150 Lariat. 3.0L V6 Turbo-Diesel. Shown here with optional 11-year-old driver.

Oh yes, PC. Can't go wrong with an F150, and your driver is cool.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

In early March 2019 I bought a brand new Subaru Impreza 5-Door. I didn't buy it for the all wheel drive, I bought it because it was one of the last truly usable small hatchbacks available with a manual transmission. It's got a nice spacious hatch area with a large opening. It suits my needs well. Although we haven't had a big snowfall since buying the car, I have come to appreciate the all wheel drive. It's awesome on icy roads, wet road and even dry roads. Unlike a car with front or rear wheel drive, when you punch it off the line, it just goes. Surprisingly, the flat four engine has a nice growl and a texture to its mild vibrations that are very satisfying. I love getting the revs up.

Not much to see here. It's pretty much a standard issue modern base model car, right down to the plastic hubcaps (the BMW 328 next to it is one of my son's drift cars).

You've all seen this one before. My 1997 Miata with the factory race package. It's the 34th of 47 built that year with this package. One of eighteen that were black. I bought it in 1998 (yes, I've owned it for 22 years) to replace an MGB and the race package's lack of power steering, power windows and mirrors and stiff suspension made it ideal. It's been a great car. A real blast to drive and really reliable! It's got a Torsen limited slip differential- you can steer the car with the throttle. I love it more every year. I've told my wife that there's a V8 powered late midlife crisis in my future, but I won't sell this car to finance it!

Here it is on at the Miata lawn event at the Larz Anderson Auto Museum in Brookline, MA in 2018-

At Larz in 2017-

Replacing the timing belt, water pump, radiator, all coolant hoses and clamps and fluids at 80,000 miles last spring-

With my son's Dodge Ram 3500-
    Last edited by Don; 04-21-2020 at 01:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    The little guy. A 2015 smart fortwo Electric Drive. 100% electric. I plug it in (I have the 240v charger) and go when and where I want. As long as it's not farther than about 70 miles. Round trip.

My wife and I rented a gas powered smart fortwo convertible on Block Island, Rhode Island late last summer. I loved it! I'm a big fan of tiny machines in the first place (I had an MG Midget that I loved) and it was well suited to touring a tiny island.

If I could find a '99 Outback that has been garaged its whole life, serviced what was needed (hello, plastic separator plate, anybody?) and preferably fairly low mileage AND at a reasonable i.e. not collector's price, I'd jump on it if I could. Loved my Subie

I don't know what it was. I could drive with all the windows down and be comfortable, hear the stereo and really enjoy the ride. The Lexus is allergic to having any of its glass open. Terrible turbulence, shaking, rumbling and for some reason all the noise outside is magnified something awful. Forget about listening to the stereo with the windows down. It's like they figured the demographic that buys them isn't the kind to drive with windows down stereo blasting.

Forum Member

Well I would post pics of my '93 F150, but I'm afraid you all will be jealous!

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post

With my son's Dodge Ram 3500-
    Sheez, you can just about put the MX5 into the bed of the pickup!!!
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

My main driver is a 2015 Cadillac Escalade ESV. I love the comfort and quiet of the car and with its 16 speaker stereo system it is a pleasant ride!

My wife's driver (in nice weather) is a '13 505 HP 427 Corvette that I get to drive occasionally.

When nicer weather finally gets here I just added a 2019 117 cubic inch Stage IV Harley Street Glide to the stable and I'm looking forward to getting some saddle time with that.

...and, my old driver that I've owned for 52 years now is my '66 Corvette coupe, a 41,000 mile original down to its knock-off wheels and teak steering wheel.

You guys have some fantastic vehicles. I've never had the desire to collect cars, and as long as a vehicle is reliable and comfortable, I'm good.

But I really love what you drive, especially the old cars. If I were to collect, I'd like to have a 47 Ford. When I was a kid in 1971, we had an old widow neighbor who had one that was pristine. She really had only driven it once a week since she bought it new. She took it to mechanics if she needed too. It looked like it had just rolled off the dealer's lot. Everybody in town tried to buy it from her, but she wouldn't hear of selling it.

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    My main driver is a 2015 Cadillac Escalade ESV. I love the comfort and quiet of the car and with its 16 speaker stereo system it is a pleasant ride!

My son replaced his Ram 3500 Dually with an Escalade ESV and couldn't be happier. He loves it as a super comfy daily driver and a long distance tow rig.

with the tight quarters of my apartment's parking garage I wish I had one of those little smart cars. What blows my mind is the people who buy a full size pickup WHILE they're living here. The guy in the space across from mine went from an Accord to a 4 door crew cab truck. The thing must barely clear the overhead doors on the ramp (underground garage). There's another big truck that sticks about 3 feet out into the travel lane past the concrete pillars. What are these people thinking?

I drive a boring car (Subaru Forester), but its a handy little vehicle that's great in these long Canadian winters.

For our short Canadian summers, I RIDE these:

Both together (my buddy riding the F8, I'm on the V-Star)

Last edited by dirtdog; 04-22-2020 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    You guys have some fantastic vehicles. I've never had the desire to collect cars, and as long as a vehicle is reliable and comfortable, I'm good.

But I really love what you drive, especially the old cars. If I were to collect, I'd like to have a 47 Ford. When I was a kid in 1971, we had an old widow neighbor who had one that was pristine. She really had only driven it once a week since she bought it new. She took it to mechanics if she needed too. It looked like it had just rolled off the dealer's lot. Everybody in town tried to buy it from her, but she wouldn't hear of selling it.
    I remember when my father had a tan four door ‘47 Ford when I was around 13 years old. He’d leave early in the morning for work so he was asleep way before me. I’d sit up and watch television and once I was sure he was asleep I’d take the old Ford around the block a couple of times. I think that car had a gas heater.

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    I remember when my father had a tan four door ‘47 Ford when I was around 13 years old. He’d leave early in the morning for work so he was asleep way before me. I’d sit up and watch television and once I was sure he was asleep I’d take the old Ford around the block a couple of times. I think that car had a gas heater.
    Wow! That's fantastic. My sister owned a 47 for about a minute, but I never got to see it or drive it.

My elder neighbor's had no heater in it because she had bought it in Florida.

This thread is getting hot...

Forum Member

My wife crazy at the moment...

I have the most loving wife.

I woke up last night to her holding a pillow tightly to my face to protect me from Covid-19!

Quote Originally Posted by renderit View Post
    My wife crazy at the moment...

I have the most loving wife.

I woke up last night to her holding a pillow tightly to my face to protect me from Covid-19!

She didn't date Jeffrey Epstein at some point, did she?

Well, here's a couple more that occasionally get driven. First off is my '56 Harley FLH that I've owned for around 35 years now. It's another original machine that I purchased from its first owner.

Next up is my wife's '55 Cushman Eagle. I restored this bike and gave it to her as a Christmas gift around 25 years ago.

...and my Cadillac Eldorado that was purchased new by my mother and now has around 39, 000 miles on it. Last year I put all stainless steel exhaust on it and replaced all plastic fender extesions.

Forum Member

Those are most certainly hideous!

Oh wait! Wrong thread....

Laker - what year is that Caddy? I had a '64 Fleetwood Eldorado Series 78 Convertible for a very brief time back in 1978. It turned out to have totally rusted out outer floorboards. There were two sets of floorboards in those cars, inner and outer. I made the youthful mistake of trading it even up with a shyster instead of putting money into it to fix it.

Man, could that thing cruise down the highway. So freaking smooth. Even with the top down.

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    Laker - what year is that Caddy? I had a '64 Fleetwood Eldorado Series 78 Convertible for a very brief time back in 1978. It turned out to have totally rusted out outer floorboards. There were two sets of floorboards in those cars, inner and outer. I made the youthful mistake of trading it even up with a shyster instead of putting money into it to fix it.

Man, could that thing cruise down the highway. So freaking smooth. Even with the top down.
    The Eldorado is a ‘78. My mother, who turned 100 in November, stopped driving the car around 10 years ago when it just got too big for her.

If I still had a house with a two car garage, I'd love to have an old caddy again. Just something fun and big to drive around in.

Now that Laker mentioned the Cushman...

My son gave me an old Lomart Cheeftah mini bike frame and wheels for my birthday last year. Here's a pic of it with a 3hp Briggs & Stratton engine engine just to show the possibilities. This will be a mildly hot rodded mini bike (pull start, pump gas, vintage side-valve engine, no torque converter...).

I found a 5hp B&S engine for it. I will hot rod this engine and make it safe to rev high without a governor. You can get pretty good speed out of these. I'm not interested in taking the easy (and inexpensive) way out and using a new imported overhead valve engine from Harbor Freight. And, yes! Hop up parts are readily available!

I will be probably be putting "sawtooth" tires on it like this one on my hand truck, except on a 6" diameter rim. I may put a slick on the back.

Here are some pics from mini bike drags that a local hot rod club put on a few years ago. This was a ridiculously ridiculous event. I loved it!

Waiting to race-

Some wild machines-

My son watching between heats-
    Last edited by Don; 04-23-2020 at 10:14 AM.

Forum Member

Laker, my first motorized wheels was a Cushman! You were somebody in junior high driving one, (most kids got Vespas). I paid for mine with a paper route, and weekend work.
    I needed a drum set, and traded my scooter for a set of Slingerlands. My dad offered to help me get another, but school was only about a mile or so away, besides, being in a band was even more cool than riding a Cushman!

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Now that Laker mentioned the Cushman...

My son gave me an old Lomart Cheeftah mini bike frame and wheels for my birthday last year. Here's a pic of it with a 3hp Briggs & Stratton engine engine just to show the possibilities. This will be a mildly hot rodded mini bike (pull start, pump gas, vintage side-valve engine, no torque converter

I found a 5hp B&S engine for it. I will hot rod this engine and make it safe to rev high without a governor. You can get pretty good speed out of these. I'm not interested in taking the easy (and inexpensive) way out and using a new imported overhead valve engine from Harbor Freight. And, yes! Hop up parts are readily available!

I will be probably be putting "sawtooth" tires on it like this one on my hand truck, except on a 6" diameter rim.

Here are some pics from mini bike drags that a local hot rod club put on a few years ago. This was a ridiculously ridiculous event. I loved it!

My son watching between heats-
    The high schools in the county where I live sponsor an annual “mini-chopper” competition where the students put teams together to design and build the small bikes. The engine they use is a Chinese Lifan v-twin. I’ve seen a few Cushman scooters with Sportster engines. I think you could build something really radical with your little frame and a Lifan.

I am so jealous. I wanted a mini-bike so badly as a kid and my parents (besides probably not being able to afford one) were dead set against it. We had a family up the street that were always riding mini-bikes, mopeds, four wheelers. Their dad drove a hot rod camaro. My parents did not approve at all.

I had a 1972 Honda 50. I was so proud of that bike. We lived in the country then, and I drove that bike to creeks to swim and fish, and my brother, who had a Yamaha Mini-Enduro and I rode old country back roads for miles. Later, I got a Honda 100 on/off road and he got a Honda 350. We had a blast together.

I'd go out and buy a motorcycle today, but guys, I am afraid of other drivers. 9/10 motorcycle accidents are caused by other drivers. I have several good friends who've died in crashes, none of which was their fault.

Still...

I bought a bike when I was 18 because my parents could not stop me. It was a lime green Kawasaki KZ100 (KX? not sure). Enduro. Turn signals brake lights and headlights to make it street legal. It was the bike on which I had broken bones in my left hand the day my band was supposed to play its first ever paying gig.

I love bikes, hate the other drivers on the road. I won't give them the chance to get me again.

I had a 1972 Honda 50. I was so proud of that bike. We lived in the country then, and I drove that bike to creeks to swim and fish, and my brother, who had a Yamaha Mini-Enduro and I rode old country back roads for miles. Later, I got a Honda 100 on/off road and he got a Honda 350. We had a blast together.

I'd go out and buy a motorcycle today, but guys, I am afraid of other drivers. 9/10 motorcycle accidents are caused by other drivers. I have several good friends who've died in crashes, none of which was their fault.

Still...
    CH and Dan, I couldn’t figure out how to combine your two thoughts for one response. My wife and I have toured North America for 25+ years on our various Harley’s and I wouldn’t have changed that for anything. We’ve covered the contiguous 48 states multiple times with ten runs of the Key West Poker Run, a couple of trips out west and a couple to Texas/Oklahoma area. There have been seven Canadian Provices covered that include a trip to Newfoundland (as Far East as you can go in North America) and a short run into Mexico.

The point is, if you love touring on two wheels like my wife and I do, you can’t let other drivers scare you off the road. Just learn to drive defensively, like the other vehicles on the road don’t really see you.

We were hit once by a driver that didn’t see us and I bounced the bike on the road in Frederick, MD once. You just kind of grin and bear it and get up and ride.

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    I bought a bike when I was 18 because my parents could not stop me. It was a lime green Kawasaki KZ100 (KX? not sure). Enduro. Turn signals brake lights and headlights to make it street legal. It was the bike on which I had broken bones in my left hand the day my band was supposed to play its first ever paying gig.

I love bikes, hate the other drivers on the road. I won't give them the chance to get me again.
    My uncle had a 100cc-ish Kawasaki enduro that we used to ride on his property. It was a blast!

Still...
    Couldn't agree more. Riding a motorcycle is no fun when you're so paranoid of other drivers, it becomes impossible to enjoy the ride.

My daily driver is a 2010 VW Passat wagon. Capable of hauling a bunch of stuff.

But once in a while I get this out:

It has a turbo charger and scoots pretty good.

Makes 174 HP at the rear wheels, understeers horribly, you don't dare let off the gas or hit the brakes in the middle of a corner, lest you find your back end in front of you.

Not dissimilar to driving a Porche 911.

No fun to work on either.

Forum Member

Mechanics hated those "wild" things! At the dealership, I had to pad the repair to get my mechanics to work on them, as warranty time was way low.

Quote Originally Posted by vinyl View Post
    Couldn't agree more. Riding a motorcycle is no fun when you're so paranoid of other drivers, it becomes impossible to enjoy the ride.

My daily driver is a 2010 VW Passat wagon. Capable of hauling a bunch of stuff.

But once in a while I get this out:

It has a turbo charger and scoots pretty good.

Makes 174 HP at the rear wheels, understeers horribly, you don't dare let off the gas or hit the brakes in the middle of a corner, lest you find your back end in front of you.

Not dissimilar to driving a Porche 911.

No fun to work on either.
    My son helped his friend swap a superchaged V6 into a Fiero similar to yours.

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

No pics, but:
    2014 Infiniti QX-70 sporting over 300 hp

also new as of last Sat
    2020 Mazda CX-5 GT
    Mark

Daily driver 2017 Chevrolet 4x4,

[IMG]F1CB5401-1E45-4C7D-A2AD-C3DE5E32CB0C by robert ellwood, on Flickr[/IMG]

Sold this last year and miss it terribly,

[IMG]IMG_2985 by robert ellwood, on Flickr[/IMG]

When the world gets back to normal I would like to get a new one.
    What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?