Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What are you driving?

Re: What are you driving?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    Mechanics hated those "wild" things! At the dealership, I had to pad the repair to get my mechanics to work on them, as warranty time was way low.
    Basically it's a car made from every other car that GM made prior to that time.

Rear end from an x body car. Front end from a Pontiac T1000.

I took a different example back to a dealer because it kept stalling. It had set a code of the idle air control valve. I had to take it back 3 times. They eventually replaced the Idle air control valve. At that time, we were new to "computer"codes".

I can't say that if they had replaced the idle air control valve the first time, they could have gotten out of replacing the rear brake emergency adjustment.

Padding a warranty repair bill? No comment. It was a time of relatively new "computer" codes.

Essentially we're talking about shit that happened in 1985. It was 35 years ago. Don't really give a shit about it at this point. It was a long time ago.

Forum Member

vinyl, I suspect the problem may have been in the wiring, a common problem, (as were fuel leaks, fires, broken engine mounts, alignment front and rear!). We often had to sell parts to get paid for troubleshooting when the manufacture was paying. Out of warranty, troubleshooting was on the clock.

Quote Originally Posted by vinyl View Post
    Couldn't agree more. Riding a motorcycle is no fun when you're so paranoid of other drivers, it becomes impossible to enjoy the ride.

My daily driver is a 2010 VW Passat wagon. Capable of hauling a bunch of stuff.

But once in a while I get this out:

It has a turbo charger and scoots pretty good.

Makes 174 HP at the rear wheels, understeers horribly, you don't dare let off the gas or hit the brakes in the middle of a corner, lest you find your back end in front of you.

Not dissimilar to driving a Porche 911.

No fun to work on either.
    I had one of those - an '86 SE.
    Hell of a lot of fun to drive, unless it was wet out, or slippery. No weight in the front = turning the wheel and you keep going straight.
    Ours didn't have the turbocharger, but it did have a Holley intake / carb, and it was the 6-cylinder.
    I got it up to about 110MPH one time - but the steering wheel shimmy and my radar detector bleeping convinced me to slow back down.
    I kinda want another as a fun car - but prices are going up up up on them, at least the "good" ones - 86 - 88.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

Quote Originally Posted by jrgtr42 View Post
    Ours didn't have the turbocharger, but it did have a Holley intake / carb, and it was the 6-cylinder.
    No Fiero came with a carb. The 4 cylynders had "throttle body" injection. The 6 cylynders had "port injection".

I got it up to about 110MPH one time - but the steering wheel shimmy and my radar detector bleeping convinced me to slow back down.
    Let's face it. Lack of proper front end "venting" made the front end lighter than it was under normal speeds. Leading to even more severe "understeer".

I kinda want another as a fun car - but prices are going up up up on them, at least the "good" ones - 86 - 88.
    An 88 would be your best bet then. The 88's had suspension improvements that helped.
    Engine swaps abound. Supercharged V6's. Small block V8's. But without a transmission capable of handling the extra torque, it became a moot point.
    Where can I go to drive a car that actually has performance capabalities? Montana? That's a long way off.

I admit, they could be a fun car to drive, but they're not a "performance" car. Not without serious modifications. Now that I'm older, I'm more concerned that you can't really drive a "performance car on the roads. They've become to crowded with "Idiots" who don't know how to drive.

I've had a motorcycle up to 110 mph. Ive had a '67 Cougar up to 115 mph. Neither made me comfortable. I guess my point is we have all done stupid stuff. If I don't feel comfortable traveling in a vehicle at a certain speed why would I do that?

I've driven a Ferrari, and never felt that I was unsafe at any speed. Or at least any speed that I was traveling.

Let's face it, anyone who is driving 15 mph under or over the speed limit on crowded roads is risking it.

I live in an area where the roads are crowded, I don't have the luxury of living in an area where they're not.

I suspect I've already exceeded the character limit . We'll see.

Forum Member

I know my foot has gotten a lot lighter as I've gotten older! Friday and Saturday night we used to often play 100 mi away in any direction. One night coming home after a gig in my 67 Grand Prix, I passed our state cop on the side of the road. He came by the shop on Monday, and asked me how fast I was going Saturday. Said I didn't know, the needle disappeared after 120. He said his radar showed 130, and if I didn't slow down, there was a body bag in the ambulance with my name on it!
    No heavy "road" cars anymore, and I haven't been over 85 or so, since I owned one, but maybe because only the young are indestructible, it's a good thing!

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

I know my foot has gotten a lot lighter as I've gotten older!
    +1

I've had my antique Chevelle up beyond "warp one" a time or two using full battle thrusters but mostly I just enjoy a leisurely cruise right at the legal limit. With age comes wisdom......
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

I know my foot has gotten a lot lighter as I've gotten older!

Ain't that the truth! And getting older (in my case) means getting more responsible. Now that I have a clearance, any traffic citation running more than $300 in fines would result in getting it revoked.

True story: I had a 2000 Mercedes CLK430 (V8 power in a small 2-door). I had it up to 140mph twice. Never felt out of control. I taught my daughter to drive on a manual shift Honda Accord, and when I got the CLK, let her take the wheel as we drove up a then-new-and-rarely-used new divided highway. As a dutiful daughter, she kept right to the 60mph limit. "Hey," I told her, "this car was meant to cruise at 80. Give it a little more pedal." Wide-eyed that dad would approve of going over the speed limit, she did as permitted. At 80, I asked her how it felt. No different, was her reply.

"That's because in a car like this, the only thing that changes is that the scenery goes by faster," was my comment.

When I had a Suzuki GSXR1100 I'd hit 100mph by mistake! That bike was a time machine! Heroin on wheels. It scared me to death and I loved it!

I don't drive fast anymore. About 80 max, maybe a little higher if I'm not paying atention. I had a new '85 Chevy the felt like the steering wheel wasn't attached to anything at top speed. It felt like there was a lot of lift in the front. I replaced that with an '87 VW Golf GT that was stable as a rock all the way to its top speed- about 110, if I recall. The Miata will go a little faster than that and it totally stable at top speed, but it's a lightweight car with a soft top. A tire or suspension failure could be fatal!

When you get older, your idea of a good time changes. I used to think that I wanted a louder exhaust on the Miata. The original 23 year old stainless never failed so I could never justify "upgrading" it. I'm glad I didn't- I love hearing the frogs and crickets when I go on an evening drive in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    When I had a Suzuki GSXR1100 I'd hit 100mph by mistake!

I don't drive fast anymore. About 80 max, maybe a little higher if I'm not paying atention.

When you get older, your idea of a good time changes.
    I can tell you haven’t done much interstate driving in Florida. When we’re on the bike in that state I spend most of my time running around 85/90 mph just to stay out of the way of traffic. I love the back roads of Wisconsin where you can just enjoy a day of cruising without worrying that you may meet your maker during the ride.

I can't say I've never driven fast, but I am much more conservative when driving than I used to. I buried the speedometer in my first car - a 1970 Mercury Cougar (it only went up to 120). My 1999 Mustang GT saw 135. I never went faster than 115 in my '16 Mustang and around the same in my new one. That was pure impulse - a guy in a big duelly Chevy truck was showing off and I had to leave him in his place. There were no other cars anywhere around. When I drove me friend's Ferrari last summer I never passed 100 - too much traffic.

I've only been pulled over twice - once in the '99 going 65 in a 25 zone (cop let me go) and in my Crossfire, (going 62 in a 40 zone (I was trying to get the automatic wing up). That one cost me $200 - the cop was nice and wrote 60 on the ticket so I didn't have to go to court.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by vinyl View Post
    No Fiero came with a carb. The 4 cylynders had "throttle body" injection. The 6 cylynders had "port injection".

Let's face it. Lack of proper front end "venting" made the front end lighter than it was under normal speeds. Leading to even more severe "understeer".

An 88 would be your best bet then. The 88's had suspension improvements that helped.
    Engine swaps abound. Supercharged V6's. Small block V8's. But without a transmission capable of handling the extra torque, it became a moot point.
    Where can I go to drive a car that actually has performance capabalities? Montana? That's a long way off.

I admit, they could be a fun car to drive, but they're not a "performance" car. Not without serious modifications. Now that I'm older, I'm more concerned that you can't really drive a "performance car on the roads. They've become to crowded with "Idiots" who don't know how to drive.

I've had a motorcycle up to 110 mph. Ive had a '67 Cougar up to 115 mph. Neither made me comfortable. I guess my point is we have all done stupid stuff. If I don't feel comfortable traveling in a vehicle at a certain speed why would I do that?

I've driven a Ferrari, and never felt that I was unsafe at any speed. Or at least any speed that I was traveling.

Let's face it, anyone who is driving 15 mph under or over the speed limit on crowded roads is risking it.

I live in an area where the roads are crowded, I don't have the luxury of living in an area where they're not.

I suspect I've already exceeded the character limit . We'll see.
    There was an intake on the drivers side that read Holley - mayhave just been air intake - I don't know for sure.
    I Went that fast just the once, to see what it could do - most of the time I was going along with traffic. I know today I would be terrified doing that, unless someone hooks me up with one of those race experience things.
    But the Fiero was fun to drive, even though it got horrible gas mileage.
    If I was in the market for a "toy" car it would be one of those or a roadster of some sort - Mazda Miata, Honda S2000, BMZ Z3 or Z4, etc.
    Stick shift of course. I previously drove a Mazda 3 in stick that came to an untimely end. and ended up with a CX5 to replace it.
    Of course, those aren't available in stick these days.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    I can tell you haven’t done much interstate driving in Florida. When we’re on the bike in that state I spend most of my time running around 85/90 mph just to stay out of the way of traffic. I love the back roads of Wisconsin where you can just enjoy a day of cruising without worrying that you may meet your maker during the ride.
    This was on the city streets of Pawtucket, RI. 25mph posted speed limit. I'd take off at a stop sign and be at the next one in what felt like an instantl! That's where my time machine reference comes from.

I've noticed in my area that there are fewer cars on the road due to the coronavirus. As a result, drivers see a lot of "empty" road and are heavier on the gas pedal! In my little runabout, I can hit 40-50 on roads speed limited to 35 and be passed by every car on the road as if I was standing still. 70-80 seems to be the norm. Sadly, these aren't highways, but are borderline neighborhood roads.

Since I live a block from Main Street I'm walking along it almost every day now. I can't believe how fast people are driving, and it's almost always somebody with a really loud exhaust, be it a car, truck or bike. Some of it is almost painful. In a way I'm almost wanting traffic to return to slow these morons down, or at least have the police enforce the traffic laws again. It's like the Wild West out there.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

I not only see people driving faster lately, but I see them running stop signs and red lights more than normal.

I started driving the speed limit when I reached my 30s. I sped to get somewhere because I lacked patience.

I drive about 5 over the speed limit on highways and interstate highways.

When I lived in Germany, my experience was that traffic flow was about 90mph. According to the car I owned, I could drive to speeds of 120mph
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I started driving the speed limit when I reached my 30s. I sped to get somewhere because I lacked patience.

I drive about 5 over the speed limit on highways and interstate highways.

When I lived in Germany, my experience was that traffic flow was about 90mph. According to the car I owned, I could drive to speeds of 120mph
    I've heard that in a German Autobahn you can really flat out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    I've heard that in a German Autobahn you can really flat out.
    I haven't been on an autobahn since I was attending college in Munich. Back then, there was no speed limit (I've heard that's changed) except in areas where there was road construction or heavy congestion. I vividly remember driving from Vienna to Munich in an American Dodge Dart GT (V8 power), cruising and looking at the speedometer hovering at 100mph. Then looking in my rearview mirror and seeing flashing headlights in the distance. In just moments, a big Mercedes came whipping past me as if I were standing still! This was repeated over and over; BMWs, Porsches, Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Maseratis, etc. Cripes!

The down side: In the mountainous region of southern Germany/Bavaria, sometimes the fog would roll in and blanket the road. There weren't many accidents on the autobahn, but when there were, they would involve 80-90 vehicles!

My quest for 215/45/R18s continues. Goddamn Kung Flu!

I wish I could help you, Sérgio. In the past, I've bought tires online from TireRack, but I think the shipping cost -- if they even ship to Brasil -- would be a deal killer. They have a selection of your size in stock, though.

What are you driving related story. I'm applying for all kinds of jobs, and I don't care which one of them I land up in. It'll be fun. I'm seriously going after these jobs, but some of them are far fetched for me. I just applied as a salesman for a Ford dealership. If I get an interview, I'll be shocked, unless they're out of warm bodies. So when they ask me, I'm going to tell them truthfully, "I drive a Ford. I've always driven Fords with the exception of two cars and one of them was an awful Pontiac. I learned years ago that you can trust a Ford."
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

you think they actually want to hire an HONEST salesman?
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    you think they actually want to hire an HONEST salesman?
    Sheee-it, who said I'd be honest? I'd be the first to sell a lemon.

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    I wish I could help you, Sérgio. In the past, I've bought tires online from TireRack, but I think the shipping cost -- if they even ship to Brasil -- would be a deal killer. They have a selection of your size in stock, though.

Thanks, my friend, but even if you did that, as far as I'm borders are closed for shipping goods from Brazil to the US and vice versa. I am waiting for all this mess to end to ship a couple of guitar straps to a friend (one of our TFF mates).

I am trying to get the tires from Pirelli in Brazil.

Btw, speaking of tires...

I like the alloys in my car, all right, but modern wheels with the hub and spokes placed in the outer end of the barrel just can't be as beautiful as the old style ones, with the hub and stokes in the middle or placed "inside" the barrel.

Probably just a matter of taste, but I'd rather have the old style wheels in my car. It'd look way better.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

All front-wheel drive platforms require those "shallow" rims, as well as those vehicles which offer AWD as an option.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    All front-wheel drive platforms require those "shallow" rims, as well as those vehicles which offer AWD as an option.

Never knew there was such a correlation. I thought it was a matter of modern automotive design