Thread: Tyres...

Tyres...

The front tyres in my Lancer are about to throw in the towel, so I started searching for new Pirelli Cinturato P7s.

Damn, they're all out of stock in town, and only the 5th Pirelli dealer I reached wanted to file a restock order, so that I could buy them.

P.S. this car chews tyres fast...

Re: Tyres...

is it the car or the driver?

I put new sneakers on the SUV back in the beginning of Feb. cost about 160 each. The michelins I wanted were 210 each. Ouch.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

I hear both of you!

I just put new rubber on one of my motorcycles. Close to $500 CAD for front and rear for one bike. And I *might* get 5000km out of the rear (I ride kinda hard). So, basically new tires each season! Not complaining though - it's all worth every penny!

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    is it the car or the driver?

Well, I like to keep my cars with all due maintenance, including tyre alignment and such... I guess it’s the car... at least for the most part

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    The front tyres in my Lancer are about to throw in the towel, so I started searching for new Pirelli Cinturato P7s.

Damn, they're all out of stock in town, and only the 5th Pirelli dealer I reached wanted to file a restock order, so that I could buy them.

P.S. this car chews tyres fast...
    Just out of curiousity, is it the brand or size that's the problem?

I've found that for older cars, it's the size that makes tires (or tyres) hard to find.

Cheers,
    Bill

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Nothing but Goodyear or BF Goodrich for me though I've had OEM Bridgestone's on a couple of new vehicles that performed and wore pretty well.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Quote Originally Posted by vinyl View Post
    Just out of curiousity, is it the brand or size that's the problem?

I've found that for older cars, it's the size that makes tires (or tyres) hard to find.

Cheers,
    Bill

I think it’s the size. Pirelli has been a major tyre maker and distributor here in Brazil since the 1960s. They’re normally very easy to find but with this Pandemy and lockdown, the local dealers are out of stock.

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    Nothing but Goodyear or BF Goodrich for me though I've had OEM Bridgestone's on a couple of new vehicles that performed and wore pretty well.

When I drove Ford cars I always used Goodyears but truth be told, in the last few years their tyres seem to be pretty low on quality

I think it’s the size. Pirelli has been a major tyre maker and distributor here in Brazil since the 1960s. They’re normally very easy to find but with this Pandemy and lockdown, the local dealers are out of stock.
    Here in the states, it's hard to find certain sizes.

My '85 Fiero especially so. Under acceleration, the rear wheel alignment tended to look more like this: \ /
    Suspensions have a certain amount of "flex"

I gave up a long time ago on brands. 14" inch wheels? No way in hell these days.

Just a suggestion of why you're having a hard time.

My experience? Same size, different brand made the ride more more positive, but the gas mileage slightly less.

My suggestion? Less focused on the brand, and more focused on the size.

JMO,

Cheers,
    Bill

For general street use, I like Michelin. The ones that I've had handled well and were long lasting.

For sporty tires, I like Bridgestone and Dunlop. The Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec tires on my Miata have a treadwear rating of 200 and don't even have a treadwear warranty. I doubt they'll last 10,000 miles. The reason I went with an "Extreme Performance" tire? There's no real selection in high performance summer tires in the car's original 185/60R14 size. They're awesome!

This is a brand new street tire-

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    For general street use, I like Michelin. The ones that I've had handled well and were long lasting.

For sporty tires, I like Bridgestone and Dunlop. The Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec tires on my Miata have a treadwear rating of 200 and don't even have a treadwear warranty. I doubt they'll last 10,000 miles. The reason I went with an "Extreme Performance" tire? There's no real selection in high performance summer tires in the car's original 185/60R14 size. They're awesome!

This is a brand new street tire-

Interesting, I didn’t know Miatas had 14”s

Interesting, I didn’t know Miatas had 14”s
    Most of the first generation and some of the second generation Miatas had 14" tires. There was a time when 18560R14 was a very common size on sporty cars. 15" would be a nice upgrade.

I'm a tire fanatic - I want the best I can get without losing my shirt. That small contact patch is all that actually keeps you on the road. I like Bridgestone and BF Goodrich tires. My Mustang came with Michelin High Performance summer tires and I love them! They suck below 40 degrees, so I bought Bridgestone Potenza All season tires for Winter and the summer tires switch over in April. They are also a really nice tire when you tend to push the limits of the car. The last Mustang I got also had the Performance Pack which has wider tires in the rear and I took them off right after I bought the car, so I have spare set when the Michelins wear out. On my Nissan Frontier I put on Bridgestones, too. The only Pirelli's I ever owned were winter tires on my Crossfire. They were amazing in snow when they were new, but only lasted for three seasons. Too bad you don't have Tire Rack where you live - I actually got to pick up one set of tires at their local distribution center It's close by and I saved the shipping costs. A warehouse full of close to a million tires - it was a thing of beauty. Their fire suppression system was also amazing. A HUGE tank with all sorts of pumps and giant pipes feeding the system. I was impressed.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie View Post
    ... Their fire suppression system was also amazing. A HUGE tank with all sorts of pumps and giant pipes feeding the system. I was impressed.
    You can't be too careful, after all, the Springfield Tire Fire has been burning since 1990

I know nothing about tires, but I love the British spelling of "tyres."
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I know nothing about tires, but I love the British spelling of "tyres."

Hahaha sometimes I confuse terms and spelling, I never really studied English, my father taught me at home (he learned at the University of Michigan) and then I interacted with several people from the UK and Australia when I was a kid, and as a matter of fact I have never spoken English to anyone since I was a teenager, hence the misspelling and overall bad mastery of the language...

Hahaha sometimes I confuse terms and spelling, I never really studied English, my father taught me at home (he learned at the University of Michigan) and then I interacted with several people from the UK and Australia when I was a kid, and as a matter of fact I have never spoken English to anyone since I was a teenager, hence the misspelling and overall bad mastery of the language...

Oh Serge, it was in no way a criticism; I genuinely love the different spellings between the Queen's English and American English. Two of my closest friends are from London, and I spent so much time with them that I picked up British expressions. I didn't do the Madonna thing and put on a fake accent, but you can't beat a term like "bloody hell".
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Oh Serge, it was in no way a criticism; I genuinely love the different spellings between the Queen's English and American English. Two of my closest friends are from London, and I spent so much time with them that I picked up British expressions. I didn't do the Madonna thing and put on a fake accent, but you can't beat a term like "bloody hell".

I know, I was just saying...

Anyway this thread has potential for being a cool car thread.

What have you guys been driving lately? Show your gas guzzlers!

Anyway this thread has potential for being a cool car thread.

What have you guys been driving lately? Show your gas guzzlers!
    You are going to regret that...

I think you do very well speaking English, better than some born here in the US!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

yur england is betterer than mosta uz

One of my favorite quotes by George Bernard Shaw: "The English and the Americans are two countries divided by a common language."

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    One of my favorite quotes by George Bernard Shaw: "The English and the Americans are two countries divided by a common language."
    I love that quote and say it at every opportunity that presents itself.

Sergio, check out Nitto tires. I ran them on my street machines and they are sticky bastards. They won't last too long but they are as close to a race tire as I've found in a street-legal tire.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Sergio, check out Nitto tires. I ran them on my street machines and they are sticky bastards. They won't last too long but they are as close to a race tire as I've found in a street-legal tire.
    Will do!

New rubber for one of the bikes. German tires for a German bike. Continental TKC 80 on the BMW F800GS!

Well, I finally located a Pirelli dealer that had the 2 tires I needed, in a city 90 miles from my home town. Took the day off yesterday and got them.

I looked into Nitro and Ovation tires, but the rear ones in my car we’re still in excellent shape, so no point in buying all 4. And I’m OCD about having different brands of tires in the same car.

New boots on, now Johnny Jap is ready for the next handful of miles.