Thread: When You Think About Strats....

When You Think About Strats....

Strats are ubiquitous in nearly every genre of music. For a lot of people, a Strat of some kind is their first guitar. I'd bet that most of us on this forum have a Strat or have had one for a significant amount of time. A pretty obvious and safe bet.

But with Strats being so available to us, do we sometimes forget what an incredible tool the Strat is? I let mine sit unplayed for a month or two while I played my Tele and Les Paul more. When I picked up the Strat weeks later, I was blown away by it, as if it were the first Strat I ever had. I looked at it with fresh eyes.

We've talked on this forum about what a great machine the Strat is. Design, functionality, and tone for days. It's also a sexy instrument. For a bolt on, it's rather elegant, especially considering what a great geet it is for the grittiest kinds of rock and roll.

So when I back up from the hype and reputation, quit looking at the Strat through jaded eyes, it's easy to see what a brilliant instrument it is. As y'all know, I just got a Vox AC30. I first tried out the Ric 330 on it. Beautiful, perfect, rockin' too. I also tried out my Strat; it's as perfect of a pairing as the Ric is with the AC30.

So back up from your Strat(s) and look at it with marvel. Strats are awesome in the real meaning of "awesome".
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: When You Think About Strats....

I paused a real long time at the storage unit last week, looking at the box holding the strat. I'm simply not ready to bring stuff to the apartment yet but boy did I want to.

First showing of the house is in 2.5 hours. My brother already showed it to somebody yesterday and they're very interested.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    I paused a real long time at the storage unit last week, looking at the box holding the strat. I'm simply not ready to bring stuff to the apartment yet but boy did I want to.

First showing of the house is in 2.5 hours. My brother already showed it to somebody yesterday and they're very interested.
    I know you'll be glad when that business is concluded.

Hell, I can't wait until you can get to your gear again. I've followed with empathy your adventures in moving and packing and storing your gear. I once had to keep most of my stuff in storage for a year. When I finally got to it, it was like Xmas morning.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

TFF Stage Crew

I have lots of different guitars & I always cycle through them. Right now I'm into my telecasters. But I know the Strats are up next. Every time I come back to them I think "man, I don't need any other guitars!" Just a great, versatile tool
    Last edited by Cogs; 04-20-2020 at 04:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I know you'll be glad when that business is concluded.

Hell, I can't wait until you can get to your gear again. I've followed with empathy your adventures in moving and packing and storing your gear. I once had to keep most of my stuff in storage for a year. When I finally got to it, it was like Xmas morning.
    Thanks, it will be like Christmas. Some assembly required, probably too
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

My Strat was my main guitar for many years. Then I discovered a great Tele and it kind of took over. Even though I feel like I can get more done to my liking with a Tele, I'm drawn to the Strat more, but I think it's more lust than love.

Quote Originally Posted by KennyF View Post
    To me, there are only TWO configurations of electric, solid body guitars in the world... The first is a 2 Humbucker guitar, with 2 tone pots, 2 volume pots and a 3 position selector switch... The other is a 3 single coil guitar, with 2 tone pots, 1 volume pot, and either a 3 or 5 position selector switch... One says Les Paul Model on the headstock, and the other says Stratocaster on the headstock. EVERYTHING ELSE is a knockoff of one, the other, or a combination of both, and that's all there is to that...

Great definition!

TFF Stage Crew

One unexpected benefit of not gigging during the quarantine situation has been doing a lot more of the online collaborations like the Creepin' song I posted in Members Links. We're working on two more right now—"Too Much Time On My Hands" and the old Steely Dan tune, "Bad Sneakers." In so doing, I've felt a strong desire to try to capture the flavor of all the different parts I've been recording, which has meant constantly cycling through my LP, Strat, Tele, and 335-clone. It's been so much damn fun.

I record a part with the Les Paul into the Marshall Plexi and think, "Dang, is there a better sound on earth?" Then I play the Strat through it, or through the Budda (which is a 6L6 x4 amp) and think, "No, THIS is the best sound on earth!" Then the Tele into one or the other, then the 335 into one or the other (or into my Tweed DRRI, or my Tweed Bjr.) and... I just love it all.

Each guitar and each guitar/amp combo has its own thing.My moods aren't the same every day, and so too my bonding which each type of guitar varies.

I'd expand on Kenny's comment... you NEED them all. Or, like the toy commercials said when I was a kid... "Collect 'em all!"

Really looking forward to the new songs!!!

I really need to sell my current house, and a few other properties, so I can buy a house near my sister, (right outside of Nashville), and build my home studio...

And YES!!! "You NEED them all"...
    I don't know where your sister is, but my siblings also live right outside of Nashville, which is my hometown. The area around the city has filled up and property is getting scarce or phenomenally expensive. I was seriously thinking of moving back home, but I realized that I'd have to pay double in rent what I pay in a house payment for a decent sized house. I just can't do that cost of living up there. And the city has changed so much; it's a great town but the traffic is horrible, overcrowding is an issue, the city can't maintain under the inrush of folks. Reports estimated that between 45-100 people relocate to Nashville every day. That figure comes from a few years ago. I imagine it's still relevant.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

+1

"When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

My sister lives in the North side of Hendersonville. She and my bother-in-law have a huge house on 7 acres... I'm okay with Hendersonville or White House... The important thing to me is property tax, which are next to nothing down there; like $1,500.00 per year. In new Jersey, it'd be $15,000.00 per year, for a house half the size, on a 50'x100' lot, which is absolutely ridiculous, and the reason why everyone is moving the hell out of there. I'll be buying the new house with the proceeds from my old house, so that's not and issue. I just don't want to be paying a high property tax out of my retirement money. I plan on dying there.
    You live in New Jersey--I understand. The cost of living will be a lot better for you in the Hendersonville area. Man, I remember when that was out in the country. I hadn't driven through it in about three decades, and when I finally had to go there for something, I couldn't believe how much it had been built up and developed. The same is true about places all around Nashville that used to be considered the sticks.

It isn't built up where my sister is. They're on a county road, and there ain't nothin' near them. Although, It's still an easy ride to shopping and such, which is good.
    My siblings are still out in the sticks too. You get the best of both worlds that way. I get really homesick for the area. Middle Tennessee is beautiful with its rolling hills, and the mountains of East Tennessee are accessible.