Thread: Am I Fickle? Or Just Conflicted?

Am I Fickle? Or Just Conflicted?

I recently decided the current crop of guitars I was using to get "back" to my jazz playing just weren't cutting it. So, since it's been a while, I pulled out my trusty "first love," my 1957 Gibson ES-225 and fell in love all over again!

You know, I bought a 335 because I wanted a more "modern" version of a hollowbody, and as much as I like it, the 335 is heavier. The 225 is light, and because mine is a single pickup version, it has only one volume and one tone control. I don't think I ever ran it through a more modern amp, though. And with my Fender Champion 40 running clean, I am once again transported into the realms this guitar has taken me to for many years!

So, it seems that I fall in love with every guitar I pick up. And that's now been an issue, because I truly don't know which guitar is the one for me!

I cut my bones on this guitar. I learned how to get a Jerry Garcia "ring" on it. I developed a lot of the riffs I use today on it. I don't think I'll ever get rid of it. No, strike that. I know I'll never get rid of it. The good thing is that I don't have to even consider it!

TFF Stage Crew

Re: Am I Fickle? Or Just Conflicted?

That is a beauty, no doubt.

I'm in the same boat. I jump from guitar to guitar thinking they all might be the guitar for me. But, when it comes down to it, the Tele style guitar that I assembled 15+ years ago is the one!

BTW, I have a 2 pickup '59 ES-225TD and one of my favorite ways to play it is through my Strymon Flint with the harmonic tremolo and spring reverb on into my Dr. Z cure. It's such a thick, warm old time bluesy sound! What a great combo!

That’s a beauty for sure OldStrummer.

Thanks, pc and dirtdog. I wasn't trying to fish for compliments. In fact, of my entire collection, this ES-225 is probably the "mongrel" of the bunch. The pickguard is warped, the tuning keys got so old they started crumbling (!) and I needed to replace them, and the control knobs are also not original. The headstock has chipped and there are wear marks all over the body.

I treat some of my guitars as if though they were collector's items. This is a working man's guitar!