Thread: One World Concert Saturday the 18th

One World Concert Saturday the 18th

I'm jaded about a lot of things, but I'm excited about seeing McCartney, The Stones, Elton, and several other acts old and new.

The concert starts at 2pm ET on Saturday the 18th and will be streamed on social media. 8 hours are scheduled. The final two hours will be broadcast on a TV network, not sure which one.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: One World Concert Saturday the 18th

so far I've been less than enthused at the results of such shows. They promise live action yet the clips are pre-recorded and i hate to use the *lip synch* card but when you tell me it's live and people are walking and gyrating through parking lots and open fields and boat marinas with perfectly auto-tuned vocals and strings going on, that's not my idea of live music.

I expect to see peeps sitting on couches with headphones, axes and keys in front of them and the occasional sound drop out as somebody's rig stops mid-song. Live means LIVE dammit, with its warts and imperfections.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I'm jaded about a lot of things, but I'm excited about seeing McCartney, The Stones, Elton, and several other acts old and new.

The concert starts at 2pm ET on Saturday the 18th and will be streamed on social media. 8 hours are scheduled. The final two hours will be broadcast on a TV network, not sure which one.
    Apparently, it appears the network might be abc, on the Jimmy Kimmel Show at 8PM EDT. The big question is who might we see? Beside Jimmy Kimmell?

Paul McCartney? He's definitely a huge contributor to music, but my opinion is he's "over the hill". His voice is shot.

Elton? No comment.

Hopefully we will see the Stones.

In the meantime one local PBS station is offering Daryl Hall and John Oates live in Dublin at the same time. Will it really be "live"? Pretty sure it will be a "contribution" drive. That's their preroggative.

Yes I'm jaded.

Not sure what I will watch.

Meantime, I'm trying to stay positive.

I won't turn down an opportunity to see a great performance, just not sure that is what we'll actually see.

Just more "posturing".

Don't get me wrong, the whole point of this show is in support of the frontline healthcare workers. Nobody deserves more support, besides our armed forces, or all of our first responders.

And by all of that, I don't mean just the United States, but all countries across the world.

Stepping off my "soapbox" now, thanks for "listening".

Cheers,
    Bill

Do you guys know if it can be watched through any website on a smart tv?

Got it! It’ll broadcast though YouTube in real time!

I couldn't stick with it. I just couldn't sit through the pop stuff. It's well played and well-sung, but I don't like it.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I couldn't stick with it. I just couldn't sit through the pop stuff. It's well played and well-sung, but I don't like it.

Gotta wait for the good stuff, Willie. It starts in about 2 hours

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    Gotta wait for the good stuff, Willie. It starts in about 2 hours
    Yes, I'll check back on it. I saw some young lady singing an awful song about a flashlight, and it became so obvious how weak of a song it was when you strip it of dancers and overblown production. I couldn't take it.

Pretty much like I thought. The Hall and Oates thing is nothing more than a means to "contribute" to our local PBS station. $500.00 for a pair of orchestra tickets at a local amphitheater. Not really live, previously recorded.

No shortage of someone trying to make a buck out of the current situation. Not really a shortage of someone trying to make "political capital" out of it either.

Watching most of the Stones right now probably the best of what I've seen so far on the "One World Concert". except for the "invisible cymbals and drums".

Can't say much otherwise.

I still support our healthcare workers, military service members, and first responders.

Watching Keith Urban now. Still wish it was Stevie Winwood instead.

I'd also like to mention our infratructure workers. Whaa? I'm talking about the people that make sure you have electricity, like linemen.
    Cable or Telephone workers. Truck drivers and stock people and checkers for grocery stores.

The workers that pick up your trash. I could go on.

One thing for sure, the marketing goobs still have a job.

And Fender has missed the boat again. Their most famous board of directors members are nowhere to be seen. Namely Bono and The Edge.

They got more advertising out of the PBS airing of the previously recorded Hall and Oates "Live In Dublin" than the "one World Concert".
    Last edited by vinyl; 04-18-2020 at 07:12 PM.

Forum Member

It's a pity I'm so late to this thread.

Oh my God... I'm just seeing this post. It feels like this happened ages ago. We were all staying in our homes, isolated, and music was our only saving. These concerts really made me feel less alone, and I'm grateful for them. There were some live chats where we could talk while watching the concert, and I met so many people. Some of them I still keep in touch with. It's beautiful to connect with people you have things in common. An online concert platform was the perfect way to bring us together. The pandemic divided us enough, I believe music was and still is one of the ways that can help us stay together.
    Last edited by Hoffymawn; 01-24-2022 at 04:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberhang View Post
    It's a pity I'm so late to this thread.

Welcome to the forum!