Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What are your favorite 12" speakers?

TFF Stage Crew

Re: What are your favorite 12" speakers?

Quote Originally Posted by vinyl View Post
    WTF does that mean? Seriously, alnico blue? How about a brand name? or a model number?
    "Alnico Blue" is pretty standard nomenclature for a specific Celestion speaker. It has an alnico magnet & the frame is painted blue

Forum Member

I had a Fender-labeled JBL D120f that was in my ‘69 SFDR, which is my main gigging/recording amp. I started thinking about pushing that ol JBL so I swapped it out with a Celestion A-Type speaker. I LOVE THIS SPEAKER! So I guess it’s my current fave.

https://celestion.com/product/144/a type

I like the Celestion G12-65 in my EC Tremolux alot, too. Wonder how the D120 would sound in that amp....

Edit: Alnico Blues are killer BTW

For me it depends on the amp.
    For Marshalls I prefer the Celestion Greenbacks (or clones)
    Fenders I prefer Jensens, non-ceramic.
    I have one amp with 4 x 10" speakers, I really like the sound on those - super punchy.
    Not as big a fan of 15"-ers, unless mixed with others. Most of the time they're too flubby for me - again depending on the amp and the maker, etc.
    I definitely don't like anything by JBL - I prefer lower-efficiency speakers.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

Forum Member

Like others here, I have favorites for different amps.

--Deluxe Reverb - Weber Chicago
    --Pro Reverb - 65w Creamback, & Vintage 30
    --Marshall - Heritage 1265
    --Morgan Dual 20 cabinet - 2 - H series Creambacks

Thru the years, I've had a bunch of amps, and I've experimented with a LOT of speakers. I had a Twin once with the JBL's, & I agree with you guys above, they are great, & sound HUGE!. I don't know if I can lift one anymore though ;-)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jrgtr42 View Post
    For me it depends on the amp.
    For Marshalls I prefer the Celestion Greenbacks (or clones)
    Fenders I prefer Jensens, non-ceramic.
    I have one amp with 4 x 10" speakers, I really like the sound on those - super punchy.
    Not as big a fan of 15"-ers, unless mixed with others. Most of the time they're too flubby for me - again depending on the amp and the maker, etc.
    I definitely don't like anything by JBL - I prefer lower-efficiency speakers.
    I used to hate 15" speakers, I have slowly learned to like the fuller tone. The JBL's mentioned before in a 15 are not "flubby" at all. Much fuller tone across the spectrum. I got a reissue '57 Pro from Fender which is a great sound with the 15 in it. VERY full and tight! Yet the "tweed thang" is still there.

That said, I fully agree that one size don't fit all and one brand is not the way to go. Each amp sounds best with a particular size and type speaker. Kinda like pickups on a guitar. If you don't try other brands you never know if the best for that wood are in it...

One of the reasons I like "heads" is I can change cabinets to get a different sound.

Some amps sound way better with low efficiency speakers.

As do some rooms.

Some need more definition and clarity to push the back walls.

I love changing things up and appreciating (or not) what the result brings.

Forum Member

I am not sure yet for my recently acquired '67 Bandmaster head. I have a cab with a Cannabis Rex but it was 8 ohms.
    I wanted to match the head with a 4 ohm speaker so I bought a WGS ET65.

So far I haven't really bonded with it. Some buyer's remorse..I'll keep trying
    I guess to keep in the spirit of the original post I have to say...my favourite 12" is the CRex.
    Last edited by Keethlawrence; 09-13-2020 at 09:32 AM.

Forum Member

For Bass, I have two GK 112-2 cabs that I put Eminence Kappalite 3012HO Neo's in. They are rated 450 watts RMS vs. the GK's at 300 watts RMS. Due to higher sensitivity rating and longer throw they kick but even outdoors. The drummer who was about 5-8 ft away from me outdoors said he could feel the concussion. Truly great sounding, Punchy, decent lows, smooth highs. I got compliments on the tone that day. I have used JBL's and the Tone was the best ever but they were heavy and not as much Xmax for Extended throw and would occasionally bottom out on bass.

For guitar I absolutely love the Eminence Texas Heat and Eminence Lil Texas Neo's. With back issues I love the light weight of the Neo and tone is awesome. Also the Electro Voice 12's are very good speakers but one heck of a boat anchor in weight
    CEO of Retired

I've had those Texas Heats on my wish list for a long time. Finally got a 12" combo last year. Just found out we might have a house in the not too distant future and can start using amps again. I think it's time to get one for my combo.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Cannabis Rex, Cannabis Rex ... they'll steal your woman then they'll rob yer head ...

Cannabis Rex!
    "No matter where you go, there you are!" - Buckaroo Bonzai

I had a Deluxe Reverb reissue with the standard 12" speaker. One day I unplugged the head from that speaker and plugged it into a Weber California Ceramic 15 I had on hand. It made such a dramatic difference that I started looking for ways to incorporate a 15 into the DRRI. When I heard Fender was going to release the head-only version of that amp I sold the combo and bought the head.
    If you can`t change the situation - change your reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshR778 View Post
    I had a Deluxe Reverb reissue with the standard 12" speaker. One day I unplugged the head from that speaker and plugged it into a Weber California Ceramic 15 I had on hand. It made such a dramatic difference that I started looking for ways to incorporate a 15 into the DRRI. When I heard Fender was going to release the head-only version of that amp I sold the combo and bought the head.
    I've heard nothing but great things about those Webers, and I seriously considered getting one for my DRRI during the first 3-4 years that I had it because I was getting ice picks out of it. Then I started noticing that the speaker was breaking in, and now it sounds great. I had a tube change a few years after it started sounding so good, and the speaker still kept its warmth and fullness, and yet, you know, it's a DRRI and can cut through too.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison