Thread: Straps

Straps

These are the ones I currently own. I need more leather ones...

TFF Stage Crew

Re: Straps

Nice collection. For a long time I liked & used the skinny vintage style with the sliding shoulder pad, but slowly each guitar has gotten it's own strap, either a wide leather one, or the woven kind like the ones you have on the right

I have several Italia leather straps. I like them a lot (sorry, no pictures).

https://www.italiastraps.com/

I've got 9 leather straps and need 3 more to cover each of my guitars. Most of my straps are L&M or Levys. I have a Fender leather vintage narrow leather strap for my Hofner. The bass only weighs 5 lbs at most, so that narrow strap is great. I find that wide leather straps are better for my shoulder. My 4001 and Fenders are heavy as hell and need wide straps.
    Last edited by ch willie; 03-25-2020 at 08:12 AM.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by Cogs View Post
    Nice collection. For a long time I liked & used the skinny vintage style with the sliding shoulder pad, but slowly each guitar has gotten it's own strap, either a wide leather one, or the woven kind like the ones you have on the right
    The two hippie style woven ones are handmade in Brazil by a company called Pipeline Straps. They're of excellent quality, no plastic parts, all leather, metal and natural cotton. They're pretty tough and thick.

The black leather one with the silver concho is also hand made here in Brazil. The other ones are all by Fender and Walker & Williams.

TFF Stage Crew

Ooo, got a website for the Pipelines? Post a link, maybe send them some biz

Ooo, got a website for the Pipelines? Post a link, maybe send them some biz
    Sure. You can reach them through the website and they'll probably ship to the US, I've seen American using them.

If you really want one and have any trouble buying online, I'll be more than happy to make it happen for you.

https://pipelinestraps.com/

TFF Stage Crew

Thanks. I'm guessing the prices are in Brazilian currency?

eeeh, yeah, I'mma going to go slink into a quiet corner and hide my one lone single strap behind my back and hope nobody notices my inadequacy.

ch willy's comment made me realize. I have 8 guitars and parts enough for 2 more and but one strap for all of them. I'm going to have to step up my game.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Thanks. I'm guessing the prices are in Brazilian currency?

Yes, Brazilian Real

I have become a fairly recent convert to leather straps (well within the last 3 years) the Fender Road Worn straps are beyond comfortable the others I have are getting there but it takes time (years) to break them in. An absolute requirement with all of them is to leave them on and use the rubber washer safety lock things.

Forum Member

I just got some very nice Thalia ones right before the shit hit the fan.
    Gibson logos in MOP.
    Have not had a chance to do anything with them yet, but they sure look nice.

https://www.thaliacapos.com/collecti...-leather-strap

Quote Originally Posted by John Sims View Post
    I have become a fairly recent convert to leather straps (well within the last 3 years) the Fender Road Worn straps are beyond comfortable the others I have are getting there but it takes time (years) to break them in. An absolute requirement with all of them is to leave them on and use the rubber washer safety lock things.

Yes, I use those. Fender issues them (Strat blocks)

I've preferred leather straps for most of my playing career - I just don't like how the woven ones feel, much less the poly ones.
    Most of mine are Levy's, with a couple Franklins thrown in for fun. My favorite is the vintage style with a thin, buckled strap and a leather pad - PM 25, I think the model is.
    I did pick up a "vegan leather" (is that like genuine imitation Naugahyde? ) one cheap a while back, and that's not bad either - still breaking in, though. The real leather ones are pretty broken in when I get them home.
    I haven't invested in expensive ones - I've had some of the Levy's for 25 years and never had an issue. Don't see spending a hundred bucks or more when those $25 ones are more than adequate. (maybe if I got a real vintage guitar I'd invest.)
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

COme on, guys, show your straps too.

TFF Stage Crew

ok, ok
    Here are a few shots of what's laying around:
    Woven strap, vintage-style:

Hendrix Monterey strap, I guess they made a million too many, becuse a lot of retailers are blowing them out at around $20. I thought it was attractive so i bought one. It's way too long, though:

Leather Fender strap, it's wearing out at the strap button holes:

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

If you find the strap-button holes in the leather too large due to age and use, moisten the leather slightly at the ends then hit them with a steam iron set on low power. Gentle heat should reduce the size of the holes.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    Yes, I use those. Fender issues them (Strat blocks)
    The Fender ones are initially good but, over time, the material hardens,cracks, splits and they fall off. Granted we are talking over a number of years, but none the less. After the failure of the Fender ones I bought some no name brand off Amazon which seem to be a silicone like rubber and do a sound job.

With all of them you need to check the screw periodically though as the washer grips the button and seems to encourage the screw to undo.

Strap wise I have a couple of Planet Waves thick leather straps - a seller on Amazon got the price wrong I think I paid £15 for straps which retail over £50. These are fine once broken in.

I have a Levys strap. This is OK but the back seems to break up like sand paper at the moment. This is a bit annoying as it grips your shoulder more than I like. I probably need to sand it back and treat it to get it just right.

I have a good number of Fender logo straps, a cheaper Fender tweed strap and a Woodstock Anniversary. The cloth ones with vinyl backing are fine but the polyester and all cloth type seem to be very rigid with no bounce and are not as comfortable as a result.

I have a Fender vintage type strap issued with the Roadworn guitars. This has worn in really nicely now and is probably my second favourite after the Fender Road Worn logo strap which is so soft and comfortable that it is like wearing your favourite slippers.

The other advantage of leather straps with the "push the tail through the hole" type adjustment is there are no buckles to damage the guitar. The length adjustment can be a slight compromise but otherwise I wouldn't consider anything else now.

If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

A closer look at my handmade leather strap with Dollar conchos

Plain Fender tweed straps for me. A little leather conditioner on the end straps and they stay nice & soft.

Even if it only lasts 3 or 4 years, I paid $11 for each one. Even at 3 years, I'd have gotten more than my money's worth, IMO.

Most of my straps are the typical Levi’s Leathers 4 inch in either tan or black with complementing padding. I did have one strap that a friend made for me after learning leatherworking in prison that is 4inch wide bridle leather, lined with deer skin, and is laced with tan leather. I built the strap buckle out of strips of 1/4 X 1/4 steel with crossbars of 1” X 1/4” flat bar with a 1/4” dowel pin as a strap lock, that I silver-soldered together, between the adjustable and fixed strap pieces. The buckle makes a great weapon in a bar fight! This is the only photo I have of it

TFF Stage Crew

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    Sure. You can reach them through the website and they'll probably ship to the US, I've seen American using them.

If you really want one and have any trouble buying online, I'll be more than happy to make it happen for you.

https://pipelinestraps.com/
    I might have to take you up on this offer. I'm having difficulty contacting these folks

I might have to take you up on this offer. I'm having difficulty contacting these folks
    No problem! Just choose the one you want and I'll happily send it to you.