Thread: Fender Super Chamo XD

Fender Super Chamo XD

I'm thinking of buying one of these.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender/Super-Champ-XD-Guitar-Combo-Amp-1273888002890.gc

I gig with a Hot Rod Deluxe and most of the times it's too heavy and loud. I wonder if such a smaller tube amp will be ok for bar gigs and such. Of course, I'll mic it most of the times, but will I be able to hear myself through the mix?

I see many guys saying it's not loud enough for gigs, but I've never played with my HRD cranked, or even past 4 or 5.

Re: Fender Super Chamo XD

I think it's for that amp that Fender has stopped supporting the FUSE service that allows you to make your own presets. Double check me on that, but someone was just having a discussion on the forum about it.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I think it's for that amp that Fender has stopped supporting the FUSE service that allows you to make your own presets. Double check me on that, but someone was just having a discussion on the forum about it.
    I don't think this amp uses Fuse. It doesn't have any presets.

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    I'm thinking of buying one of these.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender/Super-Champ-XD-Guitar-Combo-Amp-1273888002890.gc

I gig with a Hot Rod Deluxe and most of the times it's too heavy and loud. I wonder if such a smaller tube amp will be ok for bar gigs and such. Of course, I'll mic it most of the times, but will I be able to hear myself through the mix?

I see many guys saying it's not loud enough for gigs, but I've never played with my HRD cranked, or even past 4 or 5.
    This isn't really a "tube" amp as much as it is a "hybrid" amp. The preamp tube is used for one stage of the preamp and the phase inverter and it has power tubes. Even the clean channel is a DSP sound.

I had the previous version for a while and liked it. It could keep up with a small band playing rootsy bluesy stuff but ran out of steam for any more than that. I liked the clean sound but found the overdriven sounds to be a little lacking. It bugged the heck out of me that you couldn't use reverb and tremolo at the same time- it's a Fender amp for crying out loud!!!

A Princeton Reverb with a Rat is a way better choice.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    A Princeton Reverb with a Rat is a way better choice.
    +1000

Or alternatively, if you could find one of the original, all-tube Super Champs from the late '80s.

Those amps kick some serious ass!
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Sorry, I was reading up on these today and got some erroneous info.
    Carry on. Ha ha
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Are you guys sure this model is a hybrid? I think the XD version is all tube.

Great advice, the Princeton. I’ll check it too

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Are you guys sure this model is a hybrid? I think the XD version is all tube.
    Did you read GC's product description?

Also did you note which product category GC placed it in?

Where do you think those 16 pre-set voicings and the reverb are coming from?
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    Did you read GC's product description?

Also did you note which product category GC placed it in?

Where do you think those 16 pre-set voicings and the reverb are coming from?

Actually I didn't, I picked up any American link to that amp's specs to post here and show you what amp it is. I don't buy from GC, I live in another country. I was aiming at that amp because I got an offer from a local store and I had seen it had tubes for both the preamp and power, but you're right.

Decided to let that one pass.

It was good to ask for info here. I'm not an amp guy, don't really know much about them, only having used my Hot Rod live.

Maybe I'll get a Blues Jr instead, it's reliable, loud and good sounding.

Decided to let that one pass.

It was good to ask for info here. I'm not an amp guy, don't really know much about them, only having used my Hot Rod live.

Maybe I'll get a Blues Jr instead, it's reliable, loud and good sounding.
    Have you thought about a Vox AC10? It would certainly make your Ric sound great.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Have you thought about a Vox AC10? It would certainly make your Ric sound great.
    Not a bad idea, Willie. I'll take a look at those.

Funny, as much as I love guitars and pedals, I've never really gotten much into amps and knowing all of them, as I've always had good modern Fender amps available at the studios I rehearse and record at, and since I bought the Hot Rod Deluxe it served me well, the only thing making me think about buying another tube amp is, like I mentioned before, the weight and loudness of the beast. I need something more practical for travelling light.

Forum Member

I bought a Super Champ XD many years ago. I would never get rid of it. The statement about "all tubes" is true for the clean section of the amp ( one 12AX7 and twp 6V6GTs). The second chanel has 16 presets and the effects are pretty good. I swapped out the speaker with an ALNICO Gold Celestion and what a difference. Recently, I bought a Super Champ X2 just because of the Fuse software. I got it from Sweetwater the week after Fender dropped the Fuse software.I was very upset and sent it back in exchange for a Mustang GTX50. That turned out to be a big mistake. I wanted to use the TONE 3.0 software on my laptop. I got it all hooked up with the USB cable and the WiFi connection only to find out that TONE software doesn't support GTX series amps on Windows laptops. That was the end for me until I found this guy in Australia that had a download for FUSE software and thousands of presets. I contacted Sweetwater and I'm having my SCX2 shipped back to me. When I get it, I'll do a post and let you guys know where you can get that download.

Listen guys, this is my first reply to this forum. I'm just an old guy (66 years old) trying to get connected with some other fellas with the same interests. If my reply was too long or boring, just let me know,,,,,,Thanks

Hey, man, I read your post and enjoyed it, and welcome. There are some more of us older guys--I'm of course a youngster at 58.

We're glad to have you here.

My buddy in Leipzig, Germany lives in a small apartment. He bought a Super Champ XD and is very happy with it, told me yesterday he liked it as much as his CS Twin. Mind you, he's talking about lower volumes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Lonely View Post
    I bought a Super Champ XD many years ago. I would never get rid of it. The statement about "all tubes" is true for the clean section of the amp ( one 12AX7 and twp 6V6GTs). The second chanel has 16 presets and the effects are pretty good. I swapped out the speaker with an ALNICO Gold Celestion and what a difference. Recently, I bought a Super Champ X2 just because of the Fuse software. I got it from Sweetwater the week after Fender dropped the Fuse software.I was very upset and sent it back in exchange for a Mustang GTX50. That turned out to be a big mistake. I wanted to use the TONE 3.0 software on my laptop. I got it all hooked up with the USB cable and the WiFi connection only to find out that TONE software doesn't support GTX series amps on Windows laptops. That was the end for me until I found this guy in Australia that had a download for FUSE software and thousands of presets. I contacted Sweetwater and I'm having my SCX2 shipped back to me. When I get it, I'll do a post and let you guys know where you can get that download.

Listen guys, this is my first reply to this forum. I'm just an old guy (66 years old) trying to get connected with some other fellas with the same interests. If my reply was too long or boring, just let me know,,,,,,Thanks
    no problem and welcome to the forum. lots of old guys here and some young blood as well.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Welcome, Dirk! I have mixed feelings about Fender dropping FUSE. I have a Mustang 2 v2 that I toyed with briefly, but (maybe because of) I work in the tech field, mucking around with downloads and twiddling with settings seems to pull me away from my main goal, which is to play my guitar.

Forum Member

Only 65?