Thread: Producers and Engineers Love to Record P Basses?

Producers and Engineers Love to Record P Basses?

I've read this a few times, that it's a bass of preference for engineers because it cuts through the mix without a lot of tweaking.

That's interesting. Experience with that or have you heard it?
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: Producers and Engineers Love to Record P Basses?

Their preference for the Precision Bass might also be due to the fact that the P Bass's coils are wired out of phase, thus eliminating or minimizing hum and other spurious noises.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    Their preference for the Precision Bass might also be due to the fact that the P Bass's coils are wired out of phase, thus eliminating or minimizing hum and other spurious noises.
    Yes, I had forgotten that. Had read it somewhere years ago.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I've read this a few times, that it's a bass of preference for engineers because it cuts through the mix without a lot of tweaking.

That's interesting. Experience with that or have you heard it?
    I have heard that as well, and have experienced it. A lot of sound guys like a pbass with flats due to the lack of string noise and being easier to eq. I have been using a 72 jazz bass lately that has a bottom end that is deeper than others I've had. Use this with nickel plated rounds, and I haven't had complaints. All this to say producers and sound techs all have there opinions on what they want to hear. If you show up with a pbass, you'll most likely not have any issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassmanbret View Post
    I have heard that as well, and have experienced it. A lot of sound guys like a pbass with flats due to the lack of string noise and being easier to eq. I have been using a 72 jazz bass lately that has a bottom end that is deeper than others I've had. Use this with nickel plated rounds, and I haven't had complaints. All this to say producers and sound techs all have there opinions on what they want to hear. If you show up with a pbass, you'll most likely not have any issues.
    I posted over at Talk Bass about John Entwistle wondering how he got that incredible tone on Quadrophenia. Now I know he's associated with roundwounds but I was amazed at the lack of clank in his sound. I guess it's different when playing live vs the studio.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    I posted over at Talk Bass about John Entwistle wondering how he got that incredible tone on Quadrophenia. Now I know he's associated with roundwounds but I was amazed at the lack of clank in his sound. I guess it's different when playing live vs the studio.
    The Ox was just amazing. I think he could have taken a plank and a rubber band and made a huge sound out of it. In the Kids Are Alright (their spelling), his bass gets very growly and trebly, but full. Of course McCartney is my fave bassist, but the Ox runs a close second.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    The Ox was instrumental, no pun intended, in the development of roundwounds. John worked with James Howe, the founder of Rotosound, to develop the Roundwound string.