Thread: What is my strat?

Forum Member

What is my strat?

So this was my first guitar. I got it quite a while ago and it was used when I bought it but I’m still not quite sure what it is. I was told that it was a 2004 Japanese made 57 reissue strat but trying to use serial number decoders have not shown much of any information for me. It has had an aftermarket scratch plate, pickup covers, and knobs but I’m guessing the original were white. Any information would be appreciated.
    https://ibb.co/C2WkgJD
    https://ibb.co/qkX0WHR
    https://ibb.co/FDPVdHw
    Last edited by choyle_01; 03-29-2020 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Photos weren’t showing up

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: What is my strat?

Documentation is spotty at times for many of the MIJ/CIJ Strat models. I can tell you that it's not a '57 re-issue. Were it so, it would feature a maple fretboard and a single-ply, 8-screw pickguard, with white plastic parts overall. Your guitar seems to be a '62 re-issue in CAR with (as you mentioned) some re-arranged cosmetics. Bodies on these guitars may be alder or basswood and the electronics are generally of entry-level quality. Assuming a stock bridge, the trem block will be zinc alloy. These guitars are excellent candidates for modding and hot-rodding (I've performed several of these transformations) and you'll be pleasantly surprised at the outcome after upgrading the pickups and electronics. Most Fender MIA vintage-spec parts will fit with few installation problems or none whatsoever.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Rog, I thought the CIJ's are better crafted and with better parts than the MIJs. I know so little about them.

Great looking Strat by the way.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

That's been the conventional wisdom and I'd hate to dismiss it as an old wives' tale. However I've examined instruments of both pedigrees and the long and the short of it is, some are fine guitars while some are best described as "budget" models. Fuji-Gen, like the parent Fender company, builds instruments for a number of specific price points. As well, the quality may differ based on the intended market -- domestic (ie: Japanese) or export. These guitars should be judged on a case-by-case basis.

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    That's been the conventional wisdom and I'd hate to dismiss it as an old wives' tale. However I've examined instruments of both pedigrees and the long and the short of it is, some are fine guitars while some are best described as "budget" models. Fuji-Gen, like the parent Fender company, builds instruments for a number of specific price points. As well, the quality may differ based on the intended market -- domestic (ie: Japanese) or export. These guitars should be judged on a case-by-case basis.
    Thanks for that info. I hadn't even thought about price points on Japanese Fenders. It seems that people hear "Japanese Fender" and go for it no matter the quality. I thought they were all the same and all high quality, so I could have been a victim too.

How do they compare in construction and parts to, say, a Mexican player Strat.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Assuming similar retail price points I'd call them equivalent.

Forum Member

Thanks for the info! I’ve always been curious. I bought it for right at the price of a Mexican strat and it’s held up well over the years. Would you recommend gutting the electronics or just replacing pickups?

I routinely replace everything under the hood with upgraded, US-made components. Pickups, wiring, pots, output jack, hardware. The result is a guitar that's *roughly* equivalent to an American-made Strat and, contingent upon the pickups you choose, should keep a smile on your face for many years to come.

As to pickups, that's strictly a personal preference. Fender makes many worthy sets but there are other aftermarket coils which are quite popular. The type of music you play will be one of the deciding factors that influences your selection and what comes out of your amp's speakers. Enjoy the journey into "Stratdom".