Thread: Corona Blues Sunday

Corona Blues Sunday

Hi everybody! It's the first time I've started the Sunday thread in a while. Rain here today... just what we need to cheer things up. How has everybody handled things so far? We're driving each other crazy - went into the office a couple times just to get away. It's a small office and only one other person came in (and her office is on the other side of the building). Got food, water, warm shelter - what more can person want?
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Re: Corona Blues Sunday

Thanks for starting the thread! I was afraid I was going to have to do it again, fearing that perhaps you all were getting sick of it. We're all trying to avoid getting sick otherwise, so...

One benefit of having to shelter in place is that people are reaching out to one another more, in my experience. One of my nieces contacted me last night via text message, asking if I had a copy of my dad's autobiography I could send her for her sixteen year-old son (yikes! I've gotten old) to read. I do, and I will send it today.

It made me think about what kind of psychological effect this will have on the younger crowd. "Social distancing" is not a normal state of affairs for teenagers and kids, and this could really drive some of them bats. I do see kids out shooting hoops, and playing in small groups despite the cautions against doing so (I hear some places are actually removing basketball nets). I'm less concerned about us older folks. I'm sitting at home, comfortably listening to music, reading, playing guitar, editing photographs and using the computer, and letting the days just pass me by.

Hi Nick,

We're getting by. No gigs, woohoo! Going to sleep at a normal hour on Saturday night rocks!

Hope you stay well, We've not been hit to hard here in Upstate - yet. Our county has 14 cases and the one next door ( I can walk to it) has around 125. I'm sure that the natural course of events means that even out here in the woods we'll see the numbers take off soon. Scary stuff. People are literally dying by the thousands now. I wonder if certain people are still calling it a "hoax".

Working from home and trying to stay sane. Whether I'll still have a job left after this passes remains to be seen. The tariffs on steel already pretty much killed us in US manufacturing. I've been doing engineering-only now for orders that we would have built here before the tariffs but now will be manufactured offshore to get around them.

Mrs. OSA is recovering after her 8 days in the ICU. She can get around fine now but she tires easily. Gotta take her to the doc's office tomorrow which will give me the heebie jeebies for sure.

Hope everyone stays safe. This is going to get worse before it gets better, but it will get better.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Forum Member

The "cabrona"virus has shut down most of our little town, us mechanics are "essential". I guess the big news last week was scoring TP at Albertson's, one of my friends said isn't is crazy that "buying ass wipe is a victory"!
    I suspect the next couple of weeks will see things get a little better, all the doom and gloom scenarios aren't panning out, mortality rates not near what was projected!

made chili last night in the crockpot, first time I've done that and first time we've used it in the new apartment. I foresee employing this device a lot in the future. Yep, rain here as well but there's a break at the moment and I should get out to walk. I retrieved one more guitar from the storage unit Friday night so I now have 3 guitars and an amp. Still have to get my workbench set up.

for me the stay at home order hasn't really affected my daily routine or lack thereof. mostly the intermittent delivery of my newspaper (old school, I know) bugs me. It may not show for a day or two, then I get the current plus whatever was missed. That and going to the store and not being able to get what I want in one trip. Patience pays off though and I got what I needed eventually.

Watching surprising little TV even before the stay at home order. It doesn't hurt that my computer I'm currently on doesn't seem to be able to play videos from Prime, something about an unsupported plugin. My cat is loving it, I can hear him from anywhere in the apartment. This morning was a rare sleep in for my brother and I didn't want the cat to disturb him so I was basically running at the cat's beck and call.

Oops, too late it's raining again. Maybe I'll just go to the store for some rice and english muffins.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Still hunkered down here in the Deep North. Rainy and mild for a couple of days and only a few molecules of snow left!

Working from home and in hardcore self isolation for two full weeks now given some of my recent health concerns. Wife has been the one braving the stores.

@OldStrummer - I don’t know about kids. My 16 year old daughter has been business as usual with her friends online. I have seen a few more kids than usual out on the streets (with their parents hovering over top of them) but it’s not like it was in the 70s when we’d have a full blown game of all-day street hockey going on with dozens of kids - not like that would be allowed under current circumstances.

I’m waiting for a nice couple of days and then I’ve got some outdoor projects - maintenance on cars and motorcycles, garage and workshop reorganization, yard work. This is the calm before the storm!

Musically, downloaded a bunch of interesting analog soft synth packages over the last couple of days. Going to hook up my MIDI keyboard and get all experimental! Particularly looking to see what I can do with the Pure Magnetik stuff.

Well, my sweetie and I have gotten used to sitting in our family room watching old television shows and movie DVD’s. For “take out and delivery” we went out to our favorite watering hole and purchased a good supply of their tomato juice so we can still enjoy Sunday morning Bloody Marys even though we are not meeting our friends.

I did add a new toy to the garage (traded two Harleys in a bid to downsize) that I’ve managed to drive 35 miles in two weeks thanks to the constant rainy days. She’s a 117 cubic inch Stage IV engined screamer!

It's a beautiful day here in West Tennessee. I'm on my back deck listening to music, having coffee and cigs. Chatting with Serge about rock and roll.

I don't think I'm going to move far from this spot today. I need the sun for my mental health. It really helps a lot.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

The rain is good for me (today, anyway)- I suffer from seasonal allergies this time of year. That includes chest congestion and coughing. If I don't control it, it leads to fever and asthma (I have no fever and do not need an inhaler at this point). Those symptoms are scary as hell this season! The asthma is mild, but puts me at higher risk. Plus, coughing makes it not socially acceptable to even go to the store.

I wish the grocery stop hadn't stopped pickup orders. It'd be ideal right now.
    Last edited by Don; 03-29-2020 at 09:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    The "cabrona"virus has shut down most of our little town, us mechanics are "essential". I guess the big news last week was scoring TP at Albertson's, one of my friends said isn't is crazy that "buying ass wipe is a victory"!
    I suspect the next couple of weeks will see things get a little better, all the doom and gloom scenarios aren't panning out, mortality rates not near what was projected!
    My sister sent me one that read, "Someone TP'ed the house last night. It's now appraised at $850,000!"

Forum Member

Clever girl!

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    I did add a new toy to the garage (traded two Harleys in a bid to downsize) that I’ve managed to drive 35 miles in two weeks thanks to the constant rainy days. She’s a 117 cubic inch Stage IV engined screamer!

We need a "hot ride" thread so you can show us the Corvette beneath that tarp.

"When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

So this is going into my third-ish week of 6 days - and I am glad to do it. Working for our State Public Health - and lucky to be part of a really good team of peoples. I have some potato skins in the oven, and will make a nice burger to go with it for dinner.

Off tomorrow, laundry, shop, play a little (trying a Mesa Studio22 that I may buy) and might even sneak in a little quick range time to dial in a little plinker I got recently.

THEN.........
    Back at it!
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    It's a beautiful day here in West Tennessee. I'm on my back deck listening to music, having coffee and cigs. Chatting with Serge about rock and roll.

I don't think I'm going to move far from this spot today. I need the sun for my mental health. It really helps a lot.
    Thanks, Willie! Being on the phone with you and Randy after breakfast, as I drank my 4th cup of coffee, really made my day better. We need to do this more often, TFFers.

Well, quarantine it is. Stayed home all day watching Hunters on Amazon Prime Video. Not exactly a good TV show but it was what caught my eye this time.

Afterwards I checked on my bandmates, they're all fine. Right now I'm having a Bud and listening to the Stones. Before I go to bed I'll pick up the Kindle and finish this very good book I'm reading about their '72 American tour, by Robert Greenfield.

guys, did I tell you that ch willie is a GREAT guy?

Best wishes, y'all!