Thread: Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.

I'm about to fight the hardest battle so far. I was finally diagnosed with CTS (I had had symptoms before, and even went to doctors but still hadn't a positive diagnosis for that affliction, we thought it could be CTS or some kind of tendonitis. I tried a treatment approach and seemed to get better, but no).Here it is again and I went for a second opinion.

The second orthopaedist was quite thorough and it is CTSfor sure. A new ultra-sonography and other tests made done today it clear that I'll need treatment and maybe surgery, in both wrists.

I don't know if I'm sad or relieved. I have been living with this ghost of never knowing when my fretting hand would fail in the last gig sets, and though surgery might go wrong and I'll end up done for good as a professional (gigging) guitarist, facing this condition once and for all is bringing me peace of mind.

I started the meds and will work on some physio-therapy. If it doesn't help, then knife it is.

wish me luck, guys. This time I'll have to go all the way thorugh this.

Edit. I'll add a funny fact. Many people (including forum members here) advised me to try to raise the guitar by shortening the strap lenght so I could barre chord better.

Actually, LOWERING the guitar and going Hendrix instead of raising it seems to give my wrist wven more rest...

Re: Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.

Sergio.

I had carpel tunnel surgery about 12 years ago. My wrist has never been like it was before, but it's gotten a lot better over time

If you have to have both done, do not do them at the same time. I talked to people who'd done that, and it''s impossible. I had enough of a hard time on one hand, my non-dominant hand.

I hope you won't have to go through surgery. Keeping good thoughts for you.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

good luck, Sergio

I had a repetitive motion injury to my right pinky back in 1993 from a temp assignment working in a room that was too cold ('have to protect the computers') and excessively high quotas (1000 plus processed transactions per 8 hour shift) To this day it hasn't been right.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Thanks, guys.

i sincerely hope you all don't mind that I am posting about this again. Yes, I went to a doctor before and had this hypothesis but after a couple of PT sessions it was put in doubt, as it could be a bad tendonitis. But in the end it wasn't.

The pain and the nerve pinching came back and this second doctor made it clear that I do have CTS. it came down to whether I'll have to go to surgery or not.

hoping for the best, as playing live is one of the things I love.

But truly, if I can't really rely on soloing, riffing and covering a lot of ground anymore, I'll just start a punk rock project and stick to powerchords, I mean what the hell... Keef has osteoarthrosis and still plays, right?

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Best of luck whichever treatment you choose, Sergio. I was diagnosed with CTS in my fretting hand about 18 years ago but it finally just went away on its own. However I've been fighting degenerative osteo-arthritis in my picking hand for about six years now. There's no cure, there's no therapy -- just pain meds as needed. It's a bitch! I can still play reasonably well but I was a builder of plastic scale models for over sixty years and that hobby is very difficult now. I'll keep you in my prayers.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    Best of luck whichever treatment you choose, Sergio. I was diagnosed with CTS in my fretting hand about 18 years ago but it finally just went away on its own. However I've been fighting degenerative osteo-arthritis in my picking hand for about six years now. There's no cure, there's no therapy -- just pain meds as needed. It's a bitch! I can still play reasonably well but I was a builder of plastic scale models for over sixty years and that hobby is very difficult now. I'll keep you in my prayers.

Thank you so much, mi amigo. Once again, it's SO GOOD to have you back here.

It's relieving to hear that your own CTS issue went away on its own.

let's see what happens to me. But really, if I can't really cover a lot of ground anymore, I'll call it quits with the band I founded years ago and start another one to play whatever I can. Be it punk rock or even Stones related compositions where I can keep playing in open G and doing rhythm work in standard tuning like Keith does (he's my biggest influence, though I admire Jimmy Page a tad more as a performer).

or you can be the bandleader like Muddy Waters or Les Paul and sit in a chair with a guitar, listen to the band and tell stories, sing songs and do a little picking here and there.

I broke my wrists in a fall many years ago and arthritis in the wrist of my fretting hand has become more of an issue in recent years. I'm not a candidate for surgery at this time. I wear a wrist brace every in bed night and all day when it flares up. I have to be careful how I do simple tasks like pushing doors open and avoid other task like opening jars and cocking a pellet gun.
    It doesn't usually affect my playing except that I need to raise my guitar higher each passing year (our injuries all have different needs) and I can't play barre chords all night unless I'm sitting down and pay close attention to using proper technique.

We'll all probably end up sitting down while playing eventually.

Good luck with your CTS!

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I broke my wrists in a fall many years ago and arthritis in the wrist of my fretting hand has become more of an issue in recent years. I'm not a candidate for surgery at this time. I wear a wrist brace every in bed night and all day when it flares up. I have to be careful how I do simple tasks like pushing doors open and avoid other task like opening jars and cocking a pellet gun.
    It doesn't usually affect my playing except that I need to raise my guitar higher each passing year (our injuries all have different needs) and I can't play barre chords all night unless I'm sitting down and pay close attention to using proper technique.

We'll all probably end up sitting down while playing eventually.

Good luck with your CTS!
    Barre chords absolutely kill me. I can play them constantly for one song. After that, I'm literally hurting to play open chords.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Sergio,

I'm certainly not a medical professional but I do know from friends that while the procedure takes minutes, the recovery is 6 weeks or more with a cast on and that at least one guitar player in my area never recovered his playing skills afterwards.

If it's not keeping you up at night maybe just playing a little less will help. I have some hand issues now and by scaling back my playing to only a couple times a week has helped greatly. It's actually improved my playing since I not trying to "play around" the pain.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

[QUOTE=phantomman;640961]I'll keep you in my prayers.[/QUOTE
    +1

My second round of chemo left me with very little feelings in my fingers and toes.
    I would gladly trade that for less hair. Or the other problems radiation left me with.

vinyl

[QUOTE=vinyl;641015]
    Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    I'll keep you in my prayers.[/QUOTE
    +1

My second round of chemo left me with very little feelings in my fingers and toes.
    I would gladly trade that for less hair. Or the other problems radiation left me with.

vinyl
    My apologies, my point is to remain positive.

We all have our crosses to bear. And the power of prayer can help us with that. I'll be praying for you.

Bill

[QUOTE=vinyl;641016]
    Quote Originally Posted by vinyl View Post
    My apologies, my point is to remain positive.

We all have our crosses to bear. And the power of prayer can help us with that. I'll be praying for you.

Bill

No worries, Bill. We’re all together here, a bunch of good friends fighting the good fight while we bear our own crosses. That’s how I feel.

Stay close, brother.

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Sergio,

I'm certainly not a medical professional but I do know from friends that while the procedure takes minutes, the recovery is 6 weeks or more with a cast on and that at least one guitar player in my area never recovered his playing skills afterwards.

If it's not keeping you up at night maybe just playing a little less will help. I have some hand issues now and by scaling back my playing to only a couple times a week has helped greatly. It's actually improved my playing since I not trying to "play around" the pain.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Chuck

Thanks, Chuck. Yes, I’m trying to avoid surgery. There’s still hope I can fight this with meds and PT.
    Last edited by S. Cane; 03-28-2020 at 06:02 PM.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by vinyl View Post
    I'm no stranger to radiation, Bill.

BTW, if you have traditional neuropathy, mega doses of OTC vitamin B may help. There's also Gabapentin but you'll need a script for that.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    Thanks, Chuck. Yes, I’m trying to avoid surgery. There’s still hope I can fight this with mess and PT.

I've had some physical issues (distance runners get them, after all), and have found that a good physical therapist can be a miracle worker! It took me several tries to find one, but the one I found corrected a chronic hip condition I had, and even all but repaired a torn meniscus (I could walk without pain or a limp, but couldn't run). She put me in touch with an osteopath who was able to heal it without surgery. I'm forever indebted to both of them!

Sorry for the typo, I meant meds, not “mess”

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post

I've had some physical issues (distance runners get them, after all), and have found that a good physical therapist can be a miracle worker! It took me several tries to find one, but the one I found corrected a chronic hip condition I had, and even all but repaired a torn meniscus (I could walk without pain or a limp, but couldn't run). She put me in touch with an osteopath who was able to heal it without surgery. I'm forever indebted to both of them!

Thanks, my friend. Yes, I’m working on some physiotherapy as well. It helps a lot.

*UPDATE*

I'm very happy to say that after months of physical therapy, ice and excercises, the follow up tests showed that my carpal nerve has receded to an acceptable width, which means I will not need wrist surgery. I mean yeehaw, right?

The ultrasonography showed just a minor tendonitis, which will require just a bit more of physical therapy and excercise.

I'm playing guitar regularly again, and very happy about it. Life is good.

*UPDATE*

I'm very happy to say that after months of physical therapy, ice and excercises, the follow up tests showed that my carpal nerve has receded to an acceptable width, which means I will not need wrist surgery. I mean yeehaw, right?

The ultrasonography showed just a minor tendonitis, which will require just a bit more of physical therapy and excercise.

good to hear that. keep up the good work and utilize the power of ice when you can.

That's great news, Sérgio! Congratulations, and keep it up!
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

*UPDATE*

I think yeehaw is an appropiate response. Congratulations Sergio.

Thank you very much, friends! I really appreciate it.