Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What source of legal music streaming do you use?

What source of legal music streaming do you use?

I've been using Apple music for a handful of years, but just switched to Spotify. I'm digging it a lot.

Re: What source of legal music streaming do you use?

Spotify here, easily getting my 9.99 worth and that was before the isolation bizness began, too. I'm slowly working my way past the '70s and very early '80s when I pretty much stopped buying anything new except by stuff I already liked. 1992 marks when I abandoned terrestrial radio altogether and went strictly CDs due to the homogenization of play formats by the damned CC corporation and by political advertising of that year's presidential campaign.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

I'm still listening to a format developed in the early 20th century by some fellow named "Marconi". It's totally free and I can access it from virtually anywhere.

"When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    I'm still listening to a format developed in the early 20th century by some fellow named "Marconi". It's totally free and I can access it from virtually anywhere.

I am a huge fan of radio too, but sadly we don't have good stations here. Not if you are a rock and roll kind of guy. I do listen to some American radios but I have to do it via cell phone apps. Most of the time I use streaming platforms like Spotify, that alow me to put together the playlists I want.

As for traditional ways of enjoying music, to me nothing beats vinyl. I still love, collect and spin LPs.
    Last edited by S. Cane; 03-24-2020 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Typo

I have more streaming music available to me than I can possibly listen to in one lifetime!

PAID:

Music From the Hearts of Space
    Spacemusic.nl

FREE

Mixcloud
    Digitally Imported
    SomaFM
    Pandora
    Wolfgang's Vault

Hey Sergio, have I mentioned kaccradio.com before?

A different mix of classic rock, blues, a few radio shows, and local rock.
    What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

Radio and Spotify
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by CoyotesGator View Post
    Hey Sergio, have I mentioned kaccradio.com before?

A different mix of classic rock, blues, a few radio shows, and local rock.
    Thanks, brother, I'll check it out right away!

I tried to listen to radio today because the cassette adaptor that allowed me to play my iPhone through the car's stereo won't stay in the machine. I lasted part of one song and then a coronavirus themed commercial came on. I couldn't shut it off fast enough. No freaking radio for me. Going to have to get a new adaptor or fix the damn head unit in the car. I drive little enough as it is the car is my only refuge for listening to music at a decent volume. I need that. I was trying to listen to my iPhone by itself in the car and road noise eats all the lower frequencies and all that is left is the high stuff that makes the phone sound like a portable transistor radio from the mid '60s. By itself in a quiet room the iPhone is almost hi-fi. Almost.

Forum Member

C'mon Dan, a cassette adapter? You really are old school.
    I replaced the receiver in our old van a while back for less than $100. Pioneer with CD player, (another dinosaur artifact), it has USB, AUX inputs, and bluetooth, Spotify, Pandora, and music on your phone, all streams to the receiver. It will do phone calls also, but I never tried that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    C'mon Dan, a cassette adapter? You really are old school.
    I replaced the receiver in our old van a while back for less than $100. Pioneer with CD player, (another dinosaur artifact), it has USB, AUX inputs, and bluetooth, Spotify, Pandora, and music on your phone, all streams to the receiver. It will do phone calls also, but I never tried that.
    it used to have a 6 disc CD changer and I was a happy camper. About 5 years ago the CD player started getting dodgy before dying all together. It has a tape player which I've been using and will probably go back to unless it's the tape player that's jacked up and not the cassette adapter. It's just that it was so nice to be able to download an album and listen to it in the car without having to make a tape of it. My tape deck is in storage so I can't do that at the moment.

I have a double sided briefcase full of tapes that were made at least 30 years ago so I guess you can say I am old school I vastly prefer CDs because I could repeat something if i wanted to. The phone is too damn hard to make changes on while driving and actually it's illegal in my state to use your phone anyway unless it's hands-free. I refuse to be 'that guy' swerving and careening down the road.

I should have replaced the head unit a couple years ago but now there's no money for that.

Forum Member

I confess to replacing a 90's Blaupunkt cassette with the receiver I spoke of! I did leave the Pioneer CD changer, (so far it's working) in the van, although it gets little use. The only time we use the van is generally to go out of town, so plenty of time to listen to music. Radio is spotty where we live anyway.
    (I still have a couple of working cassette decks, sometimes I'll come home, and my wife has the stereo cranked to something that was recorded 30+ years ago!)

I kept about 10 cassettes out of a massive collection. But I don't have a cassette deck and wished I did. And I long for a really good home stereo system, like the old days, when I had a wonderful Pioneer receiver and Harmon Kardon tape deck, TEAC 4 reel to reel and a great turntable, big, accurate speakers. Damn, I miss those days. And if you can find a system that sounds at least as good, you have to pay a fortune for each component.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Forum Member

I've generally been handy at repairing things, and the main repairs to cassette decks involve replacing belts. Our main stereo has an 80's dual deck Panasonic that I've never had to repair. My music room has a nice Sony dual deck I got when my wife's great aunt died, it was a PITA to get it running again, but worth it! My best deck is an old Akai single that a customer gave me when I helped her move, I have used it to digitize some old favorites.

In answer to the OP...NONE!

I have an old school system in storage. A Pioneer 1080-SX receiver, a pair of Advent speakers, a Marantz CD player, a Nakamichi CDP-2 that I got last year after looking for 5 or 6 years for one that was functioning and not exorbitantly priced. And a Yamaha dual cassette deck that is truly two separate tape decks in one housing. What I lacked was a room to take advantage of that music power. I also don't have a cabinet suitable for housing all those units. We do have the room though. I'll keep an eye out for a suitable entertainment center.

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    I have an old school system in storage. A Pioneer 1080-SX receiver, a pair of Advent speakers, a Marantz CD player, a Nakamichi CDP-2 that I got last year after looking for 5 or 6 years for one that was functioning and not exorbitantly priced. And a Yamaha dual cassette deck that is truly two separate tape decks in one housing. What I lacked was a room to take advantage of that music power. I also don't have a cabinet suitable for housing all those units. We do have the room though. I'll keep an eye out for a suitable entertainment center.
    I managed to have a Pioneer SX-838 restored and run a pair of Bose 901 speakers on that in the garage. I get good tunes while I work my vehicles.

As far as a cabinet for you gear try this. I designed one and had it built with a space around an inch deep with a false back so all cabling is hidden from view internally and the cabinet sits flush against the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    I managed to have a Pioneer SX-838 restored and run a pair of Bose 901 speakers on that in the garage. I get good tunes while I work my vehicles.

As far as a cabinet for you gear try this. I designed one and had it built with a space around an inch deep with a false back so all cabling is hidden from view internally and the cabinet sits flush against the wall.
    darn, couldn't get the picture to load, even after quoting and copying and pasting the link. I'd really like to see it

darn, couldn't get the picture to load, even after quoting and copying and pasting the link. I'd really like to see it
    Let me know if this works.

Forum Member

That is nice Laker!
    I don't have my turntable connected anymore, it's in another room, as well as my reel to reel, and a cassette to digitize some old vinyl and recordings.

there's a box with a big dial that reminds me of the rotary antenna we used to have on the roof for our TV before we got cable. You turned it north to get the Manchester station and SSE to SSW and shades between to get the various Boston channels.

there's a box with a big dial that reminds me of the rotary antenna we used to have on the roof for our TV before we got cable. You turned it north to get the Manchester station and SSE to SSW and shades between to get the various Boston channels.
    [FONT=Arial]I still have a 40’ tower with a fringe antenna and amplifier system, and yes, the rotor (think it is an Alliance Tenna Rotor...or something like that) was rebuilt a few years ago and is used regularly. We receive TV channels from five states (we’re on the shore of Lake Michigan) and my FM tuner gives us a lot of great music. When everyone was moving away from antennas and going to cable, my friend and I dismantled their towers and I took the best components to put up my tower. In 25 years I think my total cash expenditure has been around $1800. I know people who spend that in one year for cable.[font]

Forum Member

We've never had cable, just antenna. With the advent of digital stations we now have 16 stations! (Yeah, there's still not much on.) At Christmas our oldest came to visit, and saw I was using our youngest's wi-fi, with poor reception, so she bought me a booster, it works great! This weekend the youngest came up with a box and played a movie from Netflix. After the movie I asked her what the box does, why can't you use the "Netflix" button on the remote. She then set us up on her account, so I guess we now have another channel!

@Sergio

The Last Great Jukebox show starts on KACC at 6 central time.

It usually has a nice mix of music.
    What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

Quote Originally Posted by CoyotesGator View Post
    @Sergio

The Last Great Jukebox show starts on KACC at 6 central time.

It usually has a nice mix of music.

Will certainly listen to it!

Got the app already

Apple Music used to be the most popular, but I never tried to install the client to even try it. Although I would love to compare these platforms, I immediately found https://streamingfamous.com/buy-spotify-plays/ where everything suits me. I got a premium account and have access to all the tracks and artists from different countries. Compared to online streaming as a radio, it's just more convenient and useful. I'm an artist myself. And when Apple music recommends new stuff that you can not listen to because of the fees, I think Spotify is a valid alternative with a plus sign.
    Last edited by JimmGeis; 06-06-2022 at 04:46 AM.

I tried to listen to radio today because the cassette adaptor that allowed me to play my iPhone through the car's stereo won't stay in the machine.
    I nearly spit my coffee out on the keyboard. I haven't seen a cassette adapter in a couple decades! Might be time to upgrade to a Bluetooth radio, ya think? Man, what year is the car?
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    I nearly spit my coffee out on the keyboard. I haven't seen a cassette adapter in a couple decades! Might be time to upgrade to a Bluetooth radio, ya think? Man, what year is the car?
    lol. that's from a couple years ago before I did finally get a new head unit. Got one now with a single CD tray and a USB. No more cassette player in the car

I need some sort of media player that I can download my albums to. my phone doesn't have enough memory to carry much music. Streaming doesn't work in the car so great and vacuums up my data at an alarming rate. Phone is 'only' 16 GB.

Doesn't the USB port work as a music source?

On my small car, I have two inputs: A USB port and a 3.5mm audio port. I simply plug in a 32GB thumb drive into the USB port and the audio system takes it from there. For other sources (streaming, for example), I have a little Taotronics Bluetooth dongle that plugs into the 3.5mm port and receives audio from my phone (or other paired Bluetooth device). Works great!
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Doesn't the USB port work as a music source?

On my small car, I have two inputs: A USB port and a 3.5mm audio port. I simply plug in a 32GB thumb drive into the USB port and the audio system takes it from there. For other sources (streaming, for example), I have a little Taotronics Bluetooth dongle that plugs into the 3.5mm port and receives audio from my phone (or other paired Bluetooth device). Works great!
    I tried loading albums onto a thumbdrive, it only sort of worked. some of the songs played but none of the display data transferred. no track names. I guess I got to work on my thumbdrive-fu

Dan the Bluesman. Maybe I missed something in reading thru the last parts of this thread, but what phone do you have? My old LG phone only has 8GB of internal memory, but I installed a 32GB micro SD card and it holds tons of photos and songs. Does your phone accept micro SD cards? I don't know the largest size my phone will recognize, but 32 GB is the largest I happen to have currently.
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

I tried loading albums onto a thumbdrive, it only sort of worked. some of the songs played but none of the display data transferred. no track names. I guess I got to work on my thumbdrive-fu

Not knowing your car's audio system type, I'm hard-pressed to offer any real solutions.

I know that on my aforementioned car, the audio system is particular to file types. It recognizes MP3, but some variations on that M4A, MP4, WMV, don't work at all, and it just skips past them. I recently added about 6 files and noticed it skipped two of them. I went back and checked, and they weren't MP3.

The files I use are downloaded podcasts, and they come in different formats. There are file converters available, and I may look into using one (believe it or not, Apple's QuickTime Player is a very versatile tool for this kind of thing).
    Striving to be ordinary

Oh, one other thing: Some thumb drives will also have "invisible" files on them if an OS-to-Drive copy is made. This is particularly true on Apple products. There are Spotlight files, fseventd files, and the "dot" files known as Apple Double. I use a command-line utility to erase them all from the drive, as my audio system doesn't like them (and they aren't needed).
    Striving to be ordinary

Forum Member

I found you can download Spotify "favorites" to the phone, and there's no need for a connection. A while back I drove over to my youngest's house over the mountain, and had music the whole way! I did plug the phone in to keep it charged.

I love Spotify and have been using it since their early days. The subscription service is fantastic.

Except that Spotify pays artists next to nothing. One of my fave bands is Klaatu. An obscure band, and I'm loosely very loosely in touch with one of the members, and Spotify is terrible about what they pay. I buy the band and solo CDs. It's music that means something to me, and so, I don't mind buying the goods.

I still buy CDs but only an nth of what I used to buy. Generally, Beatles and solo reissues take up most of my dosh. Recently I bought the latest CDs Roger Waters, Alan Parsons, Bob Dylan, Elvis Costello, solo collections from former Klaatu members Terry Draper and Dee Long.

One positive of Spotify for me is that I am free to buy the vinyl since I don't have to worry about the portability of music. In my car, I've got a CD player, but i rarely use it. I'm either listening to Spotify or the BBC,

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Smith View Post
    Dan the Bluesman. Maybe I missed something in reading thru the last parts of this thread, but what phone do you have? My old LG phone only has 8GB of internal memory, but I installed a 32GB micro SD card and it holds tons of photos and songs. Does your phone accept micro SD cards? I don't know the largest size my phone will recognize, but 32 GB is the largest I happen to have currently.
    2016 first generation iPhone SE 16 GB. System files take up the majority of the space. I unload my pics almost every time I have any. I offload many apps to free up space but am constantly bumping into "Insufficient storage space available to download blah blah blah". I constantly have to go in and hunt for the hidden stuff and delete it, offload any apps I've used but don't need at that moment. Forget about keeping albums on the phone. No SD slots, no external memory of any kind.

I'd like to keep the phone 4 more years at a minimum, although Apple is saying they'll be dropping support for this platform "in the future" whenever that may be. Web developers and apps support seem to assume everybody has the largest capacity products on the market and the updates are thrown out willy nilly and are often huge.

What's this about going to the Apple store and pay 5 bucks to get the battery replaced? Never heard of such a thing

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Oh, one other thing: Some thumb drives will also have "invisible" files on them if an OS-to-Drive copy is made. This is particularly true on Apple products. There are Spotlight files, fseventd files, and the "dot" files known as Apple Double. I use a command-line utility to erase them all from the drive, as my audio system doesn't like them (and they aren't needed).
    i ... uh ... *ducking as this went flying over my head* I have no idea what any of that is. I did try some sort of erase or configuration thing on the thumbdrive when I first tried to put music on it to play in my car. 14 hours later it was still 'configuring' and both the computer and my flashdrive were really warm. I seem to recall having to interrupt the process as there was no reasonable way it would take that long. I finally got it to accept music, but the files are unlabeled, and there are these folders that seem to be randomly generated, I sure didn't put them in there.

command-line utility, you mean like C:\erase? (yes, I know, don't ever do that unless you want to go back to the middle ages of ignorance )

i ... uh ... *ducking as this went flying over my head* I have no idea what any of that is. I did try some sort of erase or configuration thing on the thumbdrive when I first tried to put music on it to play in my car. 14 hours later it was still 'configuring' and both the computer and my flashdrive were really warm. I seem to recall having to interrupt the process as there was no reasonable way it would take that long. I finally got it to accept music, but the files are unlabeled, and there are these folders that seem to be randomly generated, I sure didn't put them in there.

command-line utility, you mean like C:\erase? (yes, I know, don't ever do that unless you want to go back to the middle ages of ignorance )

Don't dismiss command line capability. Yesterday I went and mass converted a batch of M4A files to MP3 using a single command. Can't do that easily with a GUI.

I agree that something is/was amiss with your thumbdrive. Were you attempting to format it in your car or on your computer?
    Striving to be ordinary

2016 first generation iPhone SE 16 GB. System files take up the majority of the space. I unload my pics almost every time I have any. I offload many apps to free up space but am constantly bumping into "Insufficient storage space available to download blah blah blah". I constantly have to go in and hunt for the hidden stuff and delete it, offload any apps I've used but don't need at that moment. Forget about keeping albums on the phone. No SD slots, no external memory of any kind.

I'd like to keep the phone 4 more years at a minimum, although Apple is saying they'll be dropping support for this platform "in the future" whenever that may be. Web developers and apps support seem to assume everybody has the largest capacity products on the market and the updates are thrown out willy nilly and are often huge.

What's this about going to the Apple store and pay 5 bucks to get the battery replaced? Never heard of such a thing
    I'll have to admit I'm not familiar with Apple products, but was very surprised when I looked at the specs of your phone that there is no micro SD card slot. What was Apple thinking? Even my inexpensive LG Leon from 2015 accepts a micro SD card.
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Smith View Post
    I'll have to admit I'm not familiar with Apple products, but was very surprised when I looked at the specs of your phone that there is no micro SD card slot. What was Apple thinking? Even my inexpensive LG Leon from 2015 accepts a micro SD card.

Apple is famous for their "closed system" philosophy. That goes all the way back to Steve Jobs, who didn't even want a keyboard or an on/off switch on the original Mac.
    Striving to be ordinary