Thread: Hot Rod Deluxe IV - Reverb on 10, is that really all there is?

Hot Rod Deluxe IV - Reverb on 10, is that really all there is?

Hi, in the early 90's I bought a Fender F.A.T. Hot Rod Deluxe. Loved the amp, hated the special design speaker (swapped it out). LOVED the reverb.... Very usable and on 3 you're drowning... All good by me. After 25 years I recently gave that amp to a friend. It was heavy and i had put tilt back legs on it making worse.

After seeing Fender's latest version (IV) comes in a pine cabinet I decided to get one. I will leave the tonal comparisons for youtube. The blond tolex/oxblood grill pine cab version is great looking and is noticeably lighter than my old F.A.T. version. This came stock with the C-Rex speaker (A favorite of mine)

However, the reverb is disappointing. It seems almost in "parallel with the signal" and not in series. Don't quote me on that, that's my best description of what i hear. With reverb on 10 you can play loud and hard and the reverb while apparent is an after thought. I actually took the tank out to check connections etc. Don't get me wrong. it works, just not up to par with any other Fender amp I own or have owned.

Anyone else observing this? Also, if there is a mod to get me drowning again I am all ears! thanks.

Re: Hot Rod Deluxe IV - Reverb on 10, is that really all there is?

Quote Originally Posted by Marksguitars View Post
    Hi, in the early 90's I bought a Fender F.A.T. Hot Rod Deluxe. Loved the amp, hated the special design speaker (swapped it out). LOVED the reverb.... Very usable and on 3 you're drowning... All good by me. After 25 years I recently gave that amp to a friend. It was heavy and i had put tilt back legs on it making worse.

After seeing Fender's latest version (IV) comes in a pine cabinet I decided to get one. I will leave the tonal comparisons for youtube. The blond tolex/oxblood grill pine cab version is great looking and is noticeably lighter than my old F.A.T. version. This came stock with the C-Rex speaker (A favorite of mine)

However, the reverb is disappointing. It seems almost in "parallel with the signal" and not in series. Don't quote me on that, that's my best description of what i hear. With reverb on 10 you can play loud and hard and the reverb while apparent is an after thought. I actually took the tank out to check connections etc. Don't get me wrong. it works, just not up to par with any other Fender amp I own or have owned.

Anyone else observing this? Also, if there is a mod to get me drowning again I am all ears! thanks.
    Funny because I’ve been looking for another fender amp and have decided I like the HRD III rather than the IV for that very reason.