Thread: Am I the only one...

Am I the only one...

...who likes pepper and pepper sauce so much? I put Tabasco even on my sunny side ups eggs.

Re: Am I the only one...

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    ...who likes pepper and pepper sauce so much? I put Tabasco even on my sunny side ups eggs.
    I think you'll find an able challenger in the hot sauce lovers category, Sérgio. I have three different brands in my pantry, including a childhood favorite, the Thai Shark Brand Sriracha. I even have a porta-hot sauce dispenser (I rarely carry it, but still...). Frank's is my normal go-to, Tabasco is OK, Cholula is a treat, heck, put me in the hot sauce aisle at the market and I'm in heaven!

i've been a black pepper fiend ever since I was a little kid, covering my scrambled eggs, mashed potatoes, hamburgers, steak, pizza. Then I discovered real hot sauces.

I've been down the scorching pepper rabbit hole and while it was fun, I'm not into super hot so much anymore. A good ghost pepper sauce is about as hot as I like. Mostly I stick with jalapeno, cayenne and habanero. I like Pete's, Cholula, Frank's which are the more common restaurant offerings. Oh and I love Siracha sauces.

Recently I went to an upscale establishment downtown and had chicken lemongrass dumplings with a Thai chili sauce that was simply delicious. Damn this coronavirus denying me access to it
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Forum Member

I never have been much of a pepper fan, but chile, that's another story. We love our chile in New Mexico, "red or green" is the state motto.
    I tried the tabasco type sauces in the service, a little bit of "bite" but no taste like some good green chile.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

I fail to see a logical reason why tasty-and-spicy foods need to be so hot as to exceed one's threshold for pain. I like tabasco on my scrambled eggs, picante sauce on a spanish omelet, and I make a pretty convincing rendition of Sonoran-style salsa. But I find no need for a condiment that can peel the epoxy-based paint off of a 747's fuselage or eat a hole through a stainless-steel sink. Call me a pansy, I don't care.

"When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    I fail to see a logical reason why tasty-and-spicy foods need to be so hot as to exceed one's threshold for pain. I like tabasco on my scrambled eggs, picante sauce on a spanish omelet, and I make a pretty convincing rendition of Sonoran-style salsa. But I find no need for a condiment that can peel the epoxy-based paint off of a 747's fuselage or eat a hole through a stainless-steel sink. Call me a pansy, I don't care.

My thoughts exactly.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

UB Grad here - 'nuff said.

Pour on the Frank's.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post

I’m in the middle of the scale. I don’t like mild stuff, red Tabasco being average-low in my taste for spicy sauce, but like you I don’t dig ghost pepper or anything that is so hot that you can’t really tell a taste behind the pain.

I've got literally dozens of bottles of hot sauce in my pantry, and tons of other dry seasonings of various types.
    I like different ones on different foods, from regular Franks hot to fermented, to the kind you have to be very sparing with or it'll burn you out.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

I spent a little time in Malaysia on the mainland. The food was a wonderful melange of Thai, Vietnamese, Indian, Cambodian, etc. But - you can't drink the water so always plan ahead. Their understanding of hot peppers and chile sauces was amazing.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim