Thread: Hunkering down

Hunkering down

Our Governor has pretty much shut down the state for the next two weeks so I'll be working from home for the foreseeable future. We have food and toilet paper so comfort won't be an issue. Since I am a trainer and my trainees are not meeting, I'm liable to be pretty slow for the duration. Well, there's a couple articles I can work on and I might try doing some Go-to-Meetings while I'm out. Time for guitar!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Re: Hunkering down

We stopped at our favorite watering hole and purchased three quarts of their tomato juice so I can serve my own Bloody Marys over my bar for the next week or so. Our governor shut down all bars and restaurants beginning at 5:00 PM tonight so I managed to sneak in my purchase (after a dinner of breasted chicken and wine) just under the gun. LIFE IS GOOD HERE BEHIND THE CHEDDAR CURTAIN!

I'm working from home now. It's weird. Kinda like camping in your backyard as a kid! My wife has worked from home for many years and we're sharing an office. Nice, but weird!

last night i tried to get a pizza and a beer at my favorite little place but they had already switched to take out only. 3 miles vs 1 (new place vs old house) plus a 5 minute walk in frigid windy conditions didn't do the pizza any favors. I'm used to being in my kitchen within 5 minutes of getting handed the box.

There's a place within a 5 minute walk from my new apartment, I haven't tried their pizza yet but they also don't sell beer

Oh, well, there's California Burrito 92 feet from the front door of the building. I hope they stay open for take out.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Dan, a pizza parlor without beer is either doomed or fantastic.

Do they allow BYOB?

As far as I know, I am still essential personnel.

However, I do have a call scheduled for tomorrow morning that will clarify the situation.

My prediction, beer tonight.

Be safe and well my friends.

What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

We haven't had an official case of the virus in our county and the surrounding counties. But people have cleared out the grocery stores. I had to go to four places yesterday to find milk.

I'm self-isolating as much as possible, washing my hands after going out, etc.

I hope we all escape infection. I don't know if that's possible, but I hope so.

Take care.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Working from home was my plan long before all this stuff hit. Since I went on an overseas cruise, staying home for two weeks is now a CDC recommendation, so it works for me anyway. I'm not a real social person anyway, so the only people I'm saddened at not seeing is my daughter and family, and that's more by their choice than mine.

Fortunately, I live .25 miles from a running/biking trail, so with the weather getting warmer, it's pretty easy to go out and on the trail for a stretch, which relieves the "hunkering" down part of it. No cabin fever for this boy!

14 confirmed cases locally. No deaths that I'm aware of. Metro area of about 1.25 million.

I'm remote working for the next three weeks minimum. Working on planning R&D tests in the UK with our international partners. Was supposed to take place in June but thats been postponed obviously. Seems kind of futile at the moment with all the uncertainty.

Hard part working from home is our work VPN is not set up to handle the vast amount of remote logins that is the reality this week. All my files etc. are on the network/sharepoint etc. so its difficult to get anything done, incl. email. Supposed to only be using the Blackberry for that but I hate the Blackberry for everything!

Anyways, working on some data analysis, self-learning stuff and waiting for the gol-darned light to blink on my BB.

On the hunkering down front, since I was off work for a month in February with a leg infection (nasty case of cellulitis picked up in the UK while on TD, couldn't walk well, painful and on daily IV antibiotics), I got a lot of practice on the self isolation front. This is just an extension of that, without the daily IV administration and the pain! And I'm an introvert, so being hunkered down is my natural state. Weird to think that since around mid-December, with holidays, work travel, sick leave and now this, I have only spent about a dozen days in the office in the last 3 or so months. Very few nasty freezing commutes - I could get used to that!

There's a couple sections at the grocery stores that are empty but we're well stocked since I was off and couldn't do shopping on my own. Don't know why people have razed the perishable food aisles and left the canned/bottled/boxed foods, cured meats, staples/condiments, cheese and other stuff with longer shelf lives, etc largely alone. No, instead all the pineapples and kiwis are gone! If we go into hardcore isolation, it's shelf life and caloric density that matters!

TFF Stage Crew

Washington State is pretty much Ground Zero here in the US. It is positively apocalyptic

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Arizona is still "open" for business though local municipalities are making their own decisions as far as what gets closed and who can go where as of this writing. Tucson is basically shuttered, with only essential services available. The charter school that my granddaughter attends notified us earlier this week that the current spring break would be extended until the 27th at which time a further determination will be made as to how to proceed. Local grocery stores (including the military commissary where we shop) are virtually barren of most staples, distilled water, and paper products. I had to order some Charmin Ultra from Ebay! But we have ample stocks of foodstuffs and beverages so we'll weather on, at least for a couple of months. With warmer WX approaching there's speculation that the Kung Flu will burn itself out and society will return to normalcy. I pray that it is so.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Forum Member

I went to the VA clinic today, and found a "hall monitor" outside the locked door. Same questions my nurse asked me on the phone yesterday, and she let me in. On the way out, I joked with her about a Marine guard being assigned there next week!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    On the way out, I joked with her about a Marine guard being assigned there next week!
    Doubtful......the Marines will be too busy guarding the liquor stores.

bars and restaurants are take out and delivery only, if they should choose to be open at all. greatly reduced hours often only 4 to 8 pm. some are closed entirely. One place i heard of that was going to leave at the end of their lease in May threw in the towel completely and laid their whole staff off on Monday.

traffic is a shell of its former self. I was crossing main street almost at will, but of course the only time when I had a bunch of homeless people around me was the time that a bunch of cars were coming along that kept me from crossing.

meat is a morning only shopping item, gone by 10 AM. Paper products are limited to one per customer. Oddly enough cookies, candy, crackers are plentiful. So far beer is still available.

If you have pets, be sure to have adequate stocks of dog and/or cat food on hand. Might not be a bad idea to pick up some extra jugs of litter as well.

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    If you have pets, be sure to have adequate stocks of dog and/or cat food on hand. Might not be a bad idea to pick up some extra jugs of litter as well.
    Already there, Captain!
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Already there, Captain!
    ayup, same here

You guys were always a sharp crowd in my book.

Forum Member

I keep finding stuff in one of my freezers I had forgotten I bought (or shot).

The next several weeks will deplete it.

That is a good thing.

Then I may open my stockpile of SPAM!

+1, renderit.

I got a years' worth of frozen pizzas, burritos, chimichangas, chicken nuggets, hot pockets, and brat's warehoused in my deep-freeze.

The Kung-Flu may get me but I'll never succumb to starvation.

saw a confusing headline today

"Local YMCA to offer virtual lessons online"

Even the swimming lesson? How they do that?

I don't want to be seen as having a death wish, being a denier, or just being macabre, but in addition to behaving safely and sanely, I'm not really doing anything differently.

Today I had an appraiser come by my house (I'm refinancing). No control over that, so I let him in and he did his thing. Then, later I went to my favorite restaurant for lunch -- they were open, if not as busy as usual (and supporting local businesses at this time is a good thing, if you ask me). Then I went to the home goods supply store and bought some grass weed-n-seed, and then drove by a local BBQ company that was handing out free food for those in need. I wasn't in need, but I was so appreciative that somebody was taking it upon themselves to support others, that I just went to drop $20 in their donation basket!

I then came home, started getting my front yard in shape, then I went for a bicycle ride. A leisurely 10 mile trek down the trail, and my legs are still feeling it!

Bottom line: I'm not trying to put myself at risk, nor am I trying to put others at risk. However, I am fully aware that being afraid of the unknown is a useless exercise; I can get t-boned by some nut driver tomorrow, and that's every bit as bad (and unknown) as getting COVID-19. Last I heard, no one was calling for an end to cars or driving, so what the heck...?

You weren’t required to self-isolate after getting back from your cruise?

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    I don't want to be seen as having a death wish, being a denier, or just being macabre, but in addition to behaving safely and sanely, I'm not really doing anything differently.

Today I had an appraiser come by my house (I'm refinancing). No control over that, so I let him in and he did his thing. Then, later I went to my favorite restaurant for lunch -- they were open, if not as busy as usual (and supporting local businesses at this time is a good thing, if you ask me). Then I went to the home goods supply store and bought some grass weed-n-seed, and then drove by a local BBQ company that was handing out free food for those in need. I wasn't in need, but I was so appreciative that somebody was taking it upon themselves to support others, that I just went to drop $20 in their donation basket!

I then came home, started getting my front yard in shape, then I went for a bicycle ride. A leisurely 10 mile trek down the trail, and my legs are still feeling it!

Bottom line: I'm not trying to put myself at risk, nor am I trying to put others at risk. However, I am fully aware that being afraid of the unknown is a useless exercise; I can get t-boned by some nut driver tomorrow, and that's every bit as bad (and unknown) as getting COVID-19. Last I heard, no one was calling for an end to cars or driving, so what the heck...?

Things have definitely slowed to a crawl here. Grocery markets, big-box stores, and filling stations are still open but most leisure and entertainment venues are either closed or operating at reduced hours. Today I talked with my sister up in Oregon and they're still in pretty good shape. Most retail businesses are still open and there's plenty of toilet paper, ammo, and gasoline to be had. California is another story -- my brother says it looks like a scene from "The Day The Earth Stood Still". Nothing open, nothing moving, nothing happening. Thus far today I've been cooking for the forthcoming week. Some chicken salad made from fileted-and-grilled breasts left over from Friday and a big slab of beef brisket that will eventually become shredded beef chimichangas and/or BBQ beef sandwiches.

God willing, we'll all make it through this.

KTF

before the hot water heater crapped out I was thinking of going to the grocery store. But they're usually busy as heck on ordinary Sundays and probably totally zoo-like on Sundays these days. Probably just as well that I wait until tomorrow. Boy, I sure hope we have hot water by then or I'm jumping in the river and bathing there.

brrrrrrr. It's supposed to be snowing tomorrow too

Were you able to get the water heater repaired, Dan?

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    It's supposed to be snowing tomorrow too
    It's snowing here! I don't think it'll stick.

We have a stay-at-home advisory and all non-essential businesses are to be closed by noon tomorrow in Massachusetts. I work for an essential business (medical) but am working from home. My son also works for an essential business (defense) and needs to go it, but that's in Rhode Island.
    Last edited by Don; 03-23-2020 at 02:16 PM.

*update*

Hot water has been restored. Showered and returned to the ranks of humanity ... well, within 10' of it anyway

Outstanding, Dan!

Stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    *update*

Hot water has been restored. Showered and returned to the ranks of humanity ... well, within 10' of it anyway
    Congratulations! But now, according to the latest guidelines, you shouldn't be getting within ten feet of ANYONE.

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Congratulations! But now, according to the latest guidelines, you shouldn't be getting within ten feet of ANYONE.
    but, but ... me, myself and I are a crowd and we can't get away from each other. Woe is us

Things are shutting way down here too - Massachusetts Governor just called for all non-essential businesses to shut down or work remotely.
    I work for a large retail forp in store support, and all our stores closed down last week, so I'm on a 2 week furlough (yay paid!!!)
    That said, since SWMBO is working from home, and we have an almost-5 year old, I'm not getting a lot of time to do what I want - guitar, brewing beer, etc.
    I've more or less been put in charge of the youngin' with various things from his pre-k keeping busy.
    We're not going out much, though outside is different - trying to get into the fresh air once or twice a day. I'm also on supermarket duty, so trying to keep that to a minimum as well.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.