Thread: The Thread For Sunday, March 15. The Ides of March

The Thread For Sunday, March 15. The Ides of March

Good morning. In about an hour I will walk ashore to a world that changed while I was gone. I learned that the cruise lines, including the one I'm on, have suspended operations for 30-60 days. Major League Baseball has ended exhibition season and delayed opening day. And so on and so on. I can rail against some of the silliness, but at the same time, believe it's wise to practice good health measures. Fortunately, my day-to-day life will be impacted little, as I live alone and I'm working from home anyway for the next couple of weeks. As long as I have electricity and Internet, I'll still be able to "hang out" with my friends -- you folks here.

Wishing you all well and good health!

Forum Member

Re: The Thread For Sunday, March 15. The Ides of March

Just preparing to go to the grocery store for the weekly run.
    Not looking forward to it.
    Far too many terrified peeps out there.
    Sure to be an eye-opener.
    I suspect I may just turn around and come back.

It should prove to be a quiet Sunday here on the shore of the big pond with no snow or rain in the forecaste.

The new Harley Street Glide was delivered on Thursday so we had planned on taking it for our weekly breakfast run with friends, but the temp is around 28°F so I think we'll wait for a nicer day. I did get to put a few miles on it Friday so got to experience its 117 cubic inch Stage IV engine...watta blast to ride!

Oh, that’s SO sweet, Laker!

I fired up my F8 and my V-Star yesterday just because. Roads a bit dryer but still a ton of salt and risk of icy conditions. I’ll wait a couple more weeks.

on the virus front, we’re stocked up and hunkered down for the most part. Not sure if I’ll be working from home tomorrow or not, but it’s a pretty good chance. Wife (teacher) and daughter (student) are on March break this week. Wife’s school board is close for two weeks after that. But daughter (in a private school) is expected to keep up with her lessons online.

Musically, I’m leaded to my BL’s house today to set a “YouTube Studio” where we plan to record and film our stuff. We’ve got the set designed, proper studio lighting, decent HD cameras and a full on multitrack digital recording rig. Plus we have the post processing know-how. Gonna be a mix of heavy originals and covers and somehow leverage our “dad band” reality. gonna be fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    It should prove to be a quiet Sunday here on the shore of the big pond with no snow or rain in the forecaste.

The new Harley Street Glide was delivered on Thursday so we had planned on taking it for our weekly breakfast run with friends, but the temp is around 28°F so I think we'll wait for a nicer day. I did get to put a few miles on it Friday so got to experience its 117 cubic inch Stage IV engine...watta blast to ride!

I ventured out into the world to look for the elusive toilet paper yesterday. We actually needed it! Tried Amazon first - "Not available", except for outrageously priced stuff - or one-month wait. Went to the local store. I figured it won't hurt to buy a month's worth of staples, just in case, so I bought a lot of stuff like hamburg, instant potatoes (and regular potatoes) and stuff like that. I vacuum bagged a lot of it and stuck it in the freezer. Found a dozen rolls of toilet paper, too!

We held a small intervention for my wife yesterday. We're desperately trying to find a decent rehab facility that won't bankrupt me. She's ready and willing to go.

Work will slow down for me. I train school boards and most districts are closed for at least two weeks to get a handle on the virus. Just plan on hunkering down and watching the insanity from afar.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

It's a nice day to go for a walk. I have no idea if work will get shut down this week. My wife works from home but is in corporate travel. They cut her hours by 5% early last week, then travel bans were imposed. Their business is down 60% and we expect further cuts.

I discovered the headphone jack on the Mark Five:25. It works surprisingly well.

I hope everyone avoids the virus, but I'm fatalistic about it. I'm nearly 60, and if it takes me, it takes me. Best case is I don't get it or spread it to someone else. On the other hand, I'm not going to panic about it.

I have plenty of supplies for the next few weeks.

My friends are welcome to come see me even if they have a cough and fever. At this point, I imagine I'll get it anyway.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Great bike, Rob!

Willie, I am not fatalistic at all. This virus is much more tame and less lethal than most other pandemic threats we’ve had in the past decades. All this panic is unnecessary, though care must be taken.

Mild warm day here. Woke up late, had roast chicken and veggies for lunch and will visit my daughter. Then I’ll probably stay at my GF’s and watch TV with her. In the evening I’ll play the Rickenbacker and have a couple of Buds.

Good to see everyone, here.

We're pretty much in lockdown mode as our county and all surrounding have declared States of Emergency for the great toilet paper apocalypse. There were police cars out in front of the grocery stores yesterday.

Using common sense and good hygiene. My wife has survived after 9 days in intensive care, me giving her injections, and is and doing quite well. I'll tell you right now it's a punch in the gut when they ask if you are the next of kin, but she pulled through. Tough gal.

My 85 year old mom just completed chemo, so I'm surrounded by seniors with compromised immune systems.

Spring is in the air though, saw some buds on the honeysuckle while walking the dog yesterday. Boats will be in the water soon and being a few miles offshore with the deck moving beneath your feet makes everything better.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    Great bike, Rob!

Willie, I am not fatalistic at all. This virus is much more tame and less lethal than most other pandemic threats we’ve had in the past decades. All this panic is unnecessary, though care must be taken.

Mild warm day here. Woke up late, had roast chicken and veggies for lunch and will visit my daughter. Then I’ll probably stay at my GF’s and watch TV with her. In the evening I’ll play the Rickenbacker and have a couple of Buds.

Good to see everyone, here.
    Italy's had 21,157 confirmed cases and 1,411 deaths (more than the entire last flu season) in 1.5 weeks.

there is a 2.7 day doubling period.

you consistently prove yourself to be the most wrong and worst poster on this site. normally it's whatever but your attitude here is going to get people killed. I have neither the time nor patience to teach you basic numeracy so instead I'm going to ask you to stfu.

btw Im sure the mods will side with Sergio because I'm being mean but he's a fucking moron so I'm just gonna nuke my own account bye.

That attack is uncalled for.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Uggg
    What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

Wow, somebody woke up with their cranky pants on.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

I actually bought a year's supply of TP before we moved so we wouldn't have to worry about going out to buy any. A couple years ago, I was buying 2 cases of TP every other month for my mom who used a staggering amount of TP. I was in the habit of ordering two cases at a time then just before she went into the first rest home I had a new delivery. That lasted me over a year. Then my brother moved in and we prepared to sell the family home and move to an apartment. As an apartment warming gift, I ordered 2 cases of TP which will last the two of us a year. Then the coronavirus nonsense started and TP for utterly no reason at all became scarcer than hen's teeth.

I also bought a case of coffee filters that will last us however long it takes us to make 1200 pots of coffee, so around 20 months. I also bought three 12-roll packs of paper towels because that's how I always buy them. No hoarding, I just don't like running out and having to go to the store on short notice.

just this morning my brother heard that Boston has mandatory restaurant closing. I don't know if that's true but if it is, then the run on the groceries will be even greater.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    I actually bought a year's supply of TP before we moved so we wouldn't have to worry about going out to buy any. A couple years ago, I was buying 2 cases of TP every other month for my mom who used a staggering amount of TP. I was in the habit of ordering two cases at a time then just before she went into the first rest home I had a new delivery. That lasted me over a year. Then my brother moved in and we prepared to sell the family home and move to an apartment. As an apartment warming gift, I ordered 2 cases of TP which will last the two of us a year. Then the coronavirus nonsense started and TP for utterly no reason at all became scarcer than hen's teeth.

I also bought a case of coffee filters that will last us however long it takes us to make 1200 pots of coffee, so around 20 months. I also bought three 12-roll packs of paper towels because that's how I always buy them. No hoarding, I just don't like running out and having to go to the store on short notice.

just this morning my brother heard that Boston has mandatory restaurant closing. I don't know if that's true but if it is, then the run on the groceries will be even greater.
    Being an old Vietnam veteran, I learned the proper use of a square of asswipe and will never have to worry about a shortage or hording of the same.

I won’t even reply to that. We all know Redisburning’s attitude and this is not the first time he does that. His ridiculous behaviour is his problem, not mine.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    That attack is uncalled for.

He does that. It’s his normal.
    Last edited by S. Cane; 03-15-2020 at 04:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Wow, somebody woke up with their cranky pants on.

Please take this Corona virus plague seriously.

People are dying.

Take care, stay well and wash your hands.
    I have decided to be happy because it's good for my health.

Quote Originally Posted by Frat Rettle View Post
    Please take this Corona virus plague seriously.

People are dying.

Take care, stay well and wash your hands.

Yes, I said that care should be taken. I only stated that I wasn’t fatalistic about it...

Great discussion with Michael Osterholm who's an internationally recognized expert in infectious disease epidemiology. So much misinformation out there.

"...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

TFF Stage Crew