Thread: Concerning action

Concerning action

I was watching the Grateful Dead’s 74 tour footage and noticed that Jerry Garcia’s string height was set pretty high. He was playing his “Wolf”, which has a single coil neck pickup.

I had some issues when I had my strats set up with low action, and after raising it a bit I got a whole new palette of colors in my tone, and plenty of extra sustain as far as I could hear. I don’t think I’m biased as I actually like my string height as low as possible and got it higher because I needed a quick setup for a gig and the guitar was buzzing.

How do you guys like your action?

Re: Concerning action

I like mine medium high. It initially made bending strings easier for me then I just got used to it.

Depends on the guitar.

The theoretical ideal is as low as it can go without negatively affecting sustain, sound, I suppose. However, this is usually relatively high compared to where most people like their action.

I will say though on my Les Paul, which is a bit of a freak, the strings would have to literally sit on the frets to stop it from ringing. When I got it back from a setup I was actually kind of upset because it was so low but the guy who did the setup (who does pro player setup which in Austin isnt nothing) insisted that I play it first because the guitar could take it. I cant argue with him on that, the guitar just rings and rings and rings and rings.

I have to wonder if it's a Strat thing, though, because I've never had a strat take action anywhere close to that low, including my two Suhrs (which overall have my preferred setup), from the factory they do something like this:

1. Neck relief: while pressing on the D & G strings on the 1st and 17th fret, the relief should measure .005” (0.127mm) at the 7th fret
    2. action: 4/64” (1.587mm) at the last fret
    3. trem height: floating at 3/64" (1.190mm) above body
    4. Pickup height:
    5. ALL SINGLE COILS: LOW E 8/64” (3.175mm) HIGH E 6/64” (2.381mm)

Forum Member

Start at 33:00 minutes in and look at the height of J. Mascis action. Works for him. Blew me away. As for me, I'm not to particular about the height of the action. I don't shred I want the neck as straight as possible (if that works for the particular guitar) and I don't want string buzz. I don't want it to fret out when bending anywhere on the neck. After setting the neck I'll play the big E and little e strings and adjust them until they don't buzz or fret out when bending. Then if the action looks decent I'll take a radius gauge and adjust the 4 strings in the middle for the radius of the neck. That usually feels and plays good for me. However, if I adjust those two strings to play right and then look at the action and it's all jacked up then I'll make additional adjustments or fix the problems and try again.

I would guess I like mine medium high, factory spec or slightly higher.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"