Thread: Mesa California Tweed

Mesa California Tweed

Got a chance to play one of these amps and I really liked it.

I hear it as having the bigger tweed EQ but the smaller tweed soft/bouncy feel IMO. Really, really fantastic combination. The EQ is powerful but not nearly as frustrating as a Mark amp, the power scaling seemed to work really well, it can overdrive itself (though I didnt test that as I really dont care for any amp overdrive except for Plexis and Trainwrecks), the speaker they're sending these out with is really good I think and the reverb is also quite good. As an upside <2k for a well built combo with 4 6V6s and a Jensen Blackbird speaker from a company like Mesa who will still service 40 year old amps and build them like tanks to begin with doesnt hurt either.

Overall one of the nicest small amps I've had the chance to play recently & I definitely recommend checking one out.

Re: Mesa California Tweed

they put four 6V6s in a single speaker combo? Those are the simplest controls I've ever seen on a Mesa.

nuts, I didn't need to see that. I better not hear one any time soon.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Re: Mesa California Tweed

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    they put four 6V6s in a single speaker combo? Those are the simplest controls I've ever seen on a Mesa.

nuts, I didn't need to see that. I better not hear one any time soon.
    yeah, 4 6v6s. it's got all sorts of clever power combinations too, though I liked the 20 and 40 watt modes the best (2 and 4 in full power pentode operation).

it's a bit dark, in the way that tweeds are, but if you're into that kind of sound, this is one of the most compelling amplifiers out there IMO. in the same kind of conversation as something like a Carr Rambler where you have the best of the big and small tweeds together.