Thread: Two Rock Amps

Two Rock Amps

I know these aren't the most popular around here but I'm curious if anyone else is into these.

I gave in and bought a Classic Reverb Signature 100, making my current total 2. I also bought, but returned, a TS-1, which is a very straight ahead ODS circuit, and it wasn't for me.

IMO these are the finest amps being made currently, and maybe ever. Do you have one? If so, which one? If you're thinking about one, what would it be?

Re: Two Rock Amps

never had a chance to try any of them
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    never had a chance to try any of them
    if you have a nearby dealer I really recommend checking some out.

The Crystal 100 is a pretty specific amp; it mostly only does one sound, but that one trick is enough to make it my favorite I've ever played. My favorite trick that these amps play is that they are SO powerful, and so controlled, but you get none of the ultra-direct, spikey smash your teeth out effect that you get out of something like a Mesa Mark Series or a really loud silverface amp (not that those are bad amps by any stretch). It's a bit like having a mic in front of a really properly broken in Super Reverb set to just the most perfect setting except that you can have that at any volume, from very very loud (Twin loud) to whisper quiet. They have updated that one a bit and call it the Traditional Clean now.

I actually think the studio amps are really really good too even though they cost like half as much.

I know theyre an expensive brand but I will say unlike a lot of other big $$$ brands TR wont gouge you on a cabinet, foot switch, cable, etc. I have actually found the vertical 2x12s to be really excellent values and have a few.

Quote Originally Posted by redisburning View Post
    if you have a nearby dealer I really recommend checking some out.

The Crystal 100 is a pretty specific amp; it mostly only does one sound, but that one trick is enough to make it my favorite I've ever played. My favorite trick that these amps play is that they are SO powerful, and so controlled, but you get none of the ultra-direct, spikey smash your teeth out effect that you get out of something like a Mesa Mark Series or a really loud silverface amp (not that those are bad amps by any stretch). It's a bit like having a mic in front of a really properly broken in Super Reverb set to just the most perfect setting except that you can have that at any volume, from very very loud (Twin loud) to whisper quiet. They have updated that one a bit and call it the Traditional Clean now.

I actually think the studio amps are really really good too even though they cost like half as much.

I know theyre an expensive brand but I will say unlike a lot of other big $$$ brands TR wont gouge you on a cabinet, foot switch, cable, etc. I have actually found the vertical 2x12s to be really excellent values and have a few.
    got a picture of the vertical 2x12? I wanted one of the SV212 or SC212 that Marshall put out but I didn't like the 800 dollar price tag. I need it wide enough to put my Princeton Reverb on top of.

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    got a picture of the vertical 2x12? I wanted one of the SV212 or SC212 that Marshall put out but I didn't like the 800 dollar price tag. I need it wide enough to put my Princeton Reverb on top of.
    they pretty much all look the same.

fwiw the TR ones are 800 too, but that's pretty reasonable for a super well made cab with two 12-65s or golds. Ive seen them popped up used for <650, which is around what I paid for my last 12-65 loaded one.

I *think* a PR would fit on top; my rocket easily fits and obviously the big 100 watt two rock heads fit on them with them vertical. there is a slightly wider one made for the new sterling signature as well.

Quote Originally Posted by redisburning View Post
    they pretty much all look the same.

fwiw the TR ones are 800 too, but that's pretty reasonable for a super well made cab with two 12-65s or golds. Ive seen them popped up used for <650, which is around what I paid for my last 12-65 loaded one.

I *think* a PR would fit on top; my rocket easily fits and obviously the big 100 watt two rock heads fit on them with them vertical. there is a slightly wider one made for the new sterling signature as well.
    seems like 8 hundred for a TR with good speakers is a better deal than the Marshall with an upgrade